Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 642116 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #451
I have done a new installation of foobar because a fresh start of my lubuntu pc. I can't set the sound options in Wine to emulation like described in the first post in this topic (the option isn't there anymore). But now the sound is stuttering when i am browsing (especially when scrolling down webpages like forums).

Anyone a solution?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #452
You could use Synaptic Package Manager to force a downgrade to Wine 1.2.3 and lock it there, possibly requiring you to edit your sources if it's not available.
You could try regedit as detailed several posts back in this thread.
Or you could remove Pulse Audio entirely and use Alsa.
Or if you have a copy of Windows you could run it in a virtual machine, which is what I'm beginning to suspect may be the best long term solution.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #453
Use the newly created winepulse (1.5.2 or newer with pulseaudio driver by Maarten Lankhorst). The configuration to use the pulseaudio driver is a bit tricky and honestly, I forgot how did I do it the last time. However, audio is again stable as it should be.
Drawbacks: the wine developers did not accept this change AGAIN into the trunk, therefore its future is unsure.

Resources:
http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa
https://launchpad.net/~alexandre-montplaisi...chive/winepulse

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #454
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Linux.

I am still unable to stop the audio from stuttering in foobar, I've tried some of the things mentioned in this thread but it does not yet work.
I use Wine 1.5.5, and Ubuntu 12.4. I tried uninstalling PulseAudio or editting the hardware accelaration settings but that doesn't work. When I remove PulseAudio as per instruction of the post someone linked in this thread I don't get any sound at all in foobar2000.

I also tried downgrading to a lower version of Wine, but I don't know how since I keep getting an error when I try to compile Wine 1.2.3 from source ("error: no suitable flex found. Please install the 'flex' package.")

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #456
I also tried downgrading to a lower version of Wine, but I don't know how since I keep getting an error when I try to compile Wine 1.2.3 from source ("error: no suitable flex found. Please install the 'flex' package.")

You could try:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/otheros...ne1.2#pdownload

Thanks!

I now got it to work somehow without stuttering audio. Some visualizations are a bit laggy now, but nothing bad.
With this I think I'll keep using Linux. No foobar2000 would have been a deal breaker and I would have gone back to Windows.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #457
Hello everyone.
The problem I have, is a heavy CPU load (near 80% from foobar2000 + wineserver processes on both 1600 MHz cores) with any type of audio files (Hz or bits), but when playback is stopped or set Foobar to "null output" device - load falls to 0. I trying both default pulseaudio and alsa (with direct hw usage and dmix).
If anyone has any ideas, please help.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #458
Yes, this is with current wine 1.5 here too. If you downgrade to wine 1.4.1 problem should vanish.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #459
fb2k uses 10% and wine 1.5.8 takes 6% here (Arch Linux).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #460
aliendesaster: Thanks. Roll back to 1.4 works for me. I think it was new resampler introduced in 1.5.4.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #461
Now I tried Wine 1.5.10, works perfectly. Again thank you all.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #462
ubuntu 12.04
wine 1.4

perfect sound

open folder work fine

somes littles  draw problems with default user interface
album list, enter dont play

No draw problem using column UI
Music is my first love.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #463
It doesn't seem to have come up before so this is presumably blindingly obvious to everyone except me, but in case there's someone else out there unlucky enough not to know more than I do, here's how to add a directory on a NAS / Samba / SMB / Network share, as foobar2000's media library:

Open up Wine configuration
Switch to the Drives tab
Press Add...
Choose a letter you like the look of, & press OK
Enter the path:
Code: [Select]
/home/<yourusername>/.gvfs
& press OK

Now in foobar2000 media library config you can browse to your networks shares at that drive letter under My Computer.

Almost certainly this is neither the only nor the best way.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #464
Interesting issue that I'm having with the DSP Manager page of Preferences:

It's not that the icons fail to load on the buttons, it's that both the list views are disabled.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #465
Interesting issue that I'm having with the DSP Manager page of Preferences:

It's not that the icons fail to load on the buttons, it's that both the list views are disabled.

I have the same issue with wine 1.5.18 on Xubuntu 12.04, foobar v1.1.18.
Except that, everything is working fine with this configuration.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #466
Everything works fine, but I have problem whit bluetooth A2DP. I buyed a bluetoot audio kit, what is connected whit my resiver. everything works fine in ubuntu, but when I start foobar to listen music then foobar just stops playing. When I open foobar and select track to play, then it plays 7sec and then just stops. any fix for that? using wine 1.4.1

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #467
Problem fixed after installed latest wine.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #468
I am writing for other who wants make direct streaming works.
I use Peter's WASAPI plugin (from official site), and choose "push (my output device)" and direct streaming works (I have already modified ~/.asoundrc for direct use of hw card).
I've got no mixing, but I want it that way.
The problem for me was that Wine by default uses dmix, and mixing all out in 16bit 44kHz.
All other workarounds didn't work for me (sending variable ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM= to wine; tuning ~/.asoundrc, wine registry keys and values).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #469
For those who struggle with high CPU use:

Do not show visualizations in your columns. See the following numbers:
% CPU use for Foobar 1.2.6 (Wineserver 1.4)
with Spectrum on top: 40% (10%)
with other visualizations: 12% (4%)
without visualisations: 6% (2%)

It's rather obvious in hindsight but it took me a long time to figure it out so I hope this helpes some people.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #470
Any suggestions to get my album covers to show in NG Playlist?

The relevant value in the Artwork configuration tab is just: front.*, and all covers are inside the music folders, usually named front.jpg. They display fine in the Artwork view panel.

Here's the console output:

Code: [Select]
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32dc20,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:RegisterShellHookWindow (0x20026): stub
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:uxtheme:BufferedPaintInit Stub ()
err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken QueryInformationToken( ..., TokenElevation, ...) semi-stub
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit [url=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599[/url]
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 1500
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 1500
fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
fixme:ntdll:NtPowerInformation semi-stub: SystemPowerCapabilities
fixme:process:GetSystemDEPPolicy stub
fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken QueryInformationToken( ..., TokenElevationType, ...) semi-stub

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #471
just a guess but perhaps you need to install gdiplus which is part of winetricks.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #472
Thanks, but no. It's already installed.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #473
ah well that's me out of ideas. i'm sure it used to work but i haven't touched it for a good couple of years now.

what do you see instead of the image? is it blank or does it show the the columns UI missing art image which IIRC is dark grey/black square with a musical note on it?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #474
The former. Just the color of the background, as if nothing's supposed to be there. I did make sure that the relevant checkbox is checked in the prefs, and the configuration was copied from the Windows installation anyway, where is works fine.

Does NG Playlist artwork work for you (or anyone else) in Wine? If so, maybe I'll just have to rebuild the UI layout from scratch.