Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 32kbps public listening test - OPEN (Read 57038 times) previous topic - next topic

32kbps public listening test - OPEN

Reply #100
Hey, what happened to rjamorim? Now, even his website http://www.rjamorim.com/ is down.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228615"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can someone who knows him give him a call to make sure he's okay.

Reply #101
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228623"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto.. he hasn't made a single post on HA in over a week.. most unusual for Roberto 

Reply #102
It's soo good to feel missed...

Really sorry, people. I spent the last week completely computerless at Rio de Janeiro.

I'm back home now. Hopefully I'll release results in a few hours.

In case someone is wondering, my phone number is +55 41 2338428
Use it wisely

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #104
Use it wisely
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228842"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

May I call you when I feel lonely? 

Reply #105
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228842"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I predict you will need to redirect incoming calls to a call-center the next few days

Reply #106
May I call you when I feel lonely? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228846"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As long as you don't try to woo me...

I predict you will need to redirect incoming calls to a call-center the next few days
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=228851"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No worries. I like to receive phone calls from my foreign friends

Reply #107
Now that the results are available (thanks, rjamorim! ), I wanted to know how I ranked the samples. The results files are decrypted and it seems that I need to know which sample corresponds to which codec. I know that
  • 1 = Lame
  • 2 = Ogg Vorbis
  • 4 = Lowpass
  • 5 = Nero MP4
And I know that 3, 6, 7 and 8 are WMA, MP3pro, Real and QDesign. But which one is which?

EDIT: Moved the above to the correct thread.

Reply #108
I have a minor question about the tests. Why couldn't ABR be used rather than CBR? Is that because ABR is still a bit variable? Would the results be much different?

Also here is another question. For mono recordings (books and such) are you better off recording a WMA 8 (I can't do WMA 9 on my Win 98SE computer) at 32 or Lame 3.96 with a --alt-preset 32 -m m. I know I'm comparing WMA CBR to Lame ABR but does anybody have a good idea about which would be better?

I know there are some go threads HA about audio book recordings but the best one states right off that CBR as a requirement (probably due to a streaming requirement). I'm just wondering if we had to compare WMA CBR vs a LAME ABR at the same rate, which would be better?

Reply #109
I have a minor question about the tests. Why couldn't ABR be used rather than CBR? Is that because ABR is still a bit variable? Would the results be much different?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=230473"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe no codec offers ABR at such low bitrates.

QDesign and Real are CBR by nature. WMA only offers "Bitrate VBR" (their name for ABR) down to 64kbps. Nero and MP3pro are either VBR or CBR. I think Lame and Vorbis don't offer good quality ABR, if they offer it at all, at such bitrates either.

Also here is another question. For mono recordings (books and such) are you better off recording a WMA 8 (I can't do WMA 9 on my Win 98SE computer) at 32 or Lame 3.96 with a --alt-preset 32 -m m. I know I'm comparing WMA CBR to Lame ABR but does anybody have a good idea about which would be better?

For voice recordings, I believe your best bet would be Speex or WMA Voice (Acelp.net). If you need to go with either WMA or MP3, I guess WMA would perform better.