Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multimedia keyboards + foobar2000: A complete guide (Read 192276 times) previous topic - next topic

Multimedia keyboards + foobar2000: A complete guide

Reply #75
Just to update my issue, foobar's global hotkeys works in other apps, just not LOTRO. But Winamp's global hotkeys work in LOTRO. I guess I'll have to see if Turbine can fix this in LOTRO for Windows 7.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill

Reply #76
I´m using a HP multi media keyboard (RK713A) together with the touchsmart PC. All media keys work (by default) except the forward and rewind keys. They can´t be set in the keyboard shortcut dialog. All other keys could be set the way described here (but are ok anyway).

Does anybody know what to do to fix this or some workaround to get an entry in the dialog?

running:

-Vista 64bit SP1
-foobar 0.9.6.7

Reply #77
Hello.. i tryed what u wrote in your 1st post, but it didnt work
I use Windows 7 RC, my Foobar version is 0.9.6.8.
I am using razer lycosa keyboard. I tryed to uninstall its drivers, but still nothing..
When i associate foobar with cda files, and i turn it off.. i press my media key but than media players opens instead of foobar.
I read a bit on razer homepage FAQ and there is : Q;A - Can i use my media keys in some other programs than Media player, ITUNES, Winamp and Real player, and the Answer is no
When I uninstalled my drivers, media keys dont work at all, and In driver program.. i have to chose one of those 4 programs for media keyes..
Is there any solution for this?

I am sorry for my bad english.

Reply #78
Sorry to hijack this thread but I need help.
    * What didn't work

Everything... I use SetPoint 4.8 with a Logitech Media Keyboard Elite.

* Whether the media keys work in foobar when it's focused

Nothing.  SetPoint didn't recognise Foobar 0.9.6.9 so... no keys are working.

* Your version of Windows

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.  I would also add Windows 7 RC on Dual-boot.

* Your version of Foobar

Like I said above... 0.9.6.9

* What keyboard you're using

*sigh* Logitech Media Keyboard Elite.

* What drivers / software you have installed for your keyboard

Logitech's... aka SetPoint

* Anything else you think might be relevant

Yeah.  I've also set foobar as my CDA player but pushing the Media Button on my keyboard opes iTunes instead of foobar2000.  (Btw, iTunes is there only to buy music... nothing else).
Foobar doesn't recognize the Play/pause button... neither the Play one... etc.

Thanks for your help.

Reply #79
My sidewinder keyboard will not work. It does work however if I stop the intellitype software, but that means my macros do not work.

Reply #80
WORKS!

setup:
- logitech media keyboard 600
- windows7 x64
- foobar2000 v0.9.6.9 w/ columns ui
- set point 4.80
- class-id: {E7076D1C-A7BF-4f39-B771-BCBE88F2A2A8}

thanks thanks

Reply #81
Sorry to hijack this thread but I need help.
    * What didn't work

Everything... I use SetPoint 4.8 with a Logitech Media Keyboard Elite.

* Whether the media keys work in foobar when it's focused

Nothing.  SetPoint didn't recognise Foobar 0.9.6.9 so... no keys are working.

* Your version of Windows

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.  I would also add Windows 7 RC on Dual-boot.

* Your version of Foobar

Like I said above... 0.9.6.9

* What keyboard you're using

*sigh* Logitech Media Keyboard Elite.

* What drivers / software you have installed for your keyboard

Logitech's... aka SetPoint

* Anything else you think might be relevant

Yeah.  I've also set foobar as my CDA player but pushing the Media Button on my keyboard opes iTunes instead of foobar2000.  (Btw, iTunes is there only to buy music... nothing else).
Foobar doesn't recognize the Play/pause button... neither the Play one... etc.

Thanks for your help.

similiar setup to mine, so here is what i did:

1. configurate your keyboard shortcuts in foobar2000, don't forget to check "global shortcut"
2. move to your setpoint directory (for example: C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint)
3. open the file "players.ini"
4. add one of the following lines to the [players] section:

- if you use the default interface in foobar, add this line:
Code: [Select]
foobar2000=wac,foobar2000.exe,{97E27FAA-C0B3-4b8e-A693-ED7881E99FC1},xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,foobar2000

- if you use Columns UI, add this line:
foobar2000=wac,foobar2000.exe,{E7076D1C-A7BF-4f39-B771-BCBE88F2A2A8},xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,foobar2000

5. save the file ;D
6. restart setpoint (exit, start)
7. should work now

Reply #82
I kind of solved my own problem.
The thing is that Windows' default driver for multimedia keyboard is 1000 times better than Logitech's.  Hell, if I press "Media" on my keyboard, it doesn't open iTunes anymore.  It opens Foobar!  Like I want.  With Logitech's driver, I couldn't make foobar recognize that I was pressing Next, previous, play/pause, stop, volume up, volume down & mute.  Without it, it recognize it right away!!

So, without further ado, I say : Logitech drivers are TRASH!!!

Reply #83
I used this a while ago with success but since then have updated to foobar2000 1.0 and deleted the plugin. I don't require the functionality anymore, but I can't disable it. Play still plays foobar2000 globally. And it doesn't show up as mapped in foobar2000. Is there a config file I can manually change or delete that might contain these legacy settings?

Reply #84
I guess what you see is the new v1.0 feature, using the common "multimedia keys" framework, see the change log.
Improved compatibility with multimedia keyboards.
This behaviour can't be disabled.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #85
Got trouble with intellytype 7.1 + windows7 + foobar 1.1 b2

Problem is, itype don't recognize foobar started. instead of sending shortcut keys, it starts foobar again. if i change association to any other player it starts that player and than mm keys works fine.

UPD solved. problem was in simlinked folder used to install foobar. somehow windows uses real path to folder like d:\programs\foobar2000\ instead of simlinked c:\programs... but associatons in windows registry points at c:\programs\..
tl;dr - reinstall to normal folder, disable associations, enable again -> solved

Reply #86
foobar2000=wac,foobar2000.exe,{97E27FAA-C0B3-4b8e-A693-ED7881E99FC1},xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,foobar2000

Works with:
foobar2000 v1.1 (stable)
Windows 7 x86
SetPoint 6.15.6

Reply #87
Everything works here except for the shuffle key on my logitech keyboard. I want to associate it with Playback/Random function. I'm using foobar 1.0.3 and Windows 7.

Reply #88
Hello all,

I ran in pretty much the same trouble, and I tried several "simple" things. First, here is my setup :

Hardware:
  • Logitech G3 Mouse
  • Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard - I'm pretty fond of it, and I have not yet found a keyboard that suits me better.
  • i-rocks cordless Keyboard

Software:
  • Windows 7 Professional x64 - French
  • foobar2000 v1.1 because it's my favorite audio player
  • Mediaplayer Classic Homecinema 1.3.2099.0 - my favorite video player (along with ffdshow)
  • Logitech SetPoint, for the mouse. That said, the trick consisting of modifiying the "user.xml" file does not work in my case, as the only registered device is my mouse. I do not have the foobar2000 line if the [Players] section in the ini file.
  • Microsoft IntelliType, for the keyboard.

With that said, I started testing different things :

• IntelliType ON, SetPoint ON: it's pretty the same thing that any one here, eg: Play/Pause would eventually open foobar2000, or show it if minimized. Other key (Stop, Next/Previous) would not work.
  • IntelliType KILLED/OFF, SetPoint STILL ALIVE/ON: first thing is that my application shortcut does not work anymore, that said, when foobar2000 is not launched, multimedia keys does nothing. But when launched, it work as expected. When launched, Mediaplayer Classic HC with a MKV containing chapters take all the multimedia keystroke, which is more or less what I wanted. When it is no longer active/running, the keystrokes goes back to foobar2000.
  • IntelliType ON, SetPoint OFF: Play launch foobar2000 if not done, and when foobar2000 is not considered active, it work sometimes as expected. Foobar2000 is considered active when it is in front and it's the active window, or when it was just minimized but no other application is active.

One another thing, lies with my i-rocks keyboard :

• This is my USB Receiver, for the i-rocks cordless Keyboard
  • This is what I can do with it
  • This is what type of HID (Human Interface Device) it supports : Keyboard ... and Mouse !

Removing the USB Receiver make it work again for a short amount of times, but then it failed again. In fact, killing SetPoint does the same thing. Perhaps the keyboard event manager is in a "pending mode", where it does not filter keyboard event, who knows ?

Is seems (according to wikipedia) that Version 7.0 and later in Windows 7 has recently been proven to disable the media keys (Play/Pause, Next, Previous, Stop) for third-party media players such as iTunes and Media Jukebox when they are not the primary window of focus. This behavior has not been addressed by Microsoft as of Version 7.10.344.

That is exactly my version.

I also tried the todo here : http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...Multimedia_keys

But since (after killing iType) foobar2000 tells me that it is natively supported, and it might have unwanted effect, I did not try much.

I don't know if there are workaround, except from a proper bug report to microsoft...

Sorry for the pretty long post ! However, I do hope that someone would answer if a solution for IntelliType worked.

Reply #89
I seems that the new driver (intellitype8) patch this ! However, play does not open anymore foobar.

Reply #90
Tried everything and I'm the point where I think I might send this keyboard+mouse back for a refund if Logitech doesn't give me a helpful response (and I doubt they will).

First I must say the media keys work how I want them to WITH SETPOINT CLOSED. But of course with SetPoint closed none of the custom hotkeys work. I've tried editing Players.ini with the application code from WinID, numerous things. I'm fed up *sadface*

I'm using the latest version of SetPoint (6.15) with a Desktop Wave keyboard. Is it not possible to just uninstall the SetPoint software and map the keys myself? At the end of the day there's just keys for zoom/aero and application launching.

Reply #91
It's worth noting I have Columns UI installed in Foobar - it's the latest version of Foobar as well.

Reply #92
I guess what you see is the new v1.0 feature, using the common "multimedia keys" framework, see the change log.
Improved compatibility with multimedia keyboards.
This behaviour can't be disabled.

Sorry, do you mean that I cannot disable global multimedia keys in v1.0+? I had no problems with prior versions, but 1.1 always seems to steal global multimedia keys, even though I don't want it! I often have several players opened simultaneously, and of course I want only one of them to react on these keys (normally it should be the one that has focus, or the main one if none have focus - this is how it worked before).

Is it that difficult to provide a checkbox somewhere in the configuration to disable global MM keys?

I tried to "unmap" them by assigning empty actions to these keys, but it disabled them globally as well...

If there's no solution, I have no option but to roll back to good old 0.9...

Reply #93
Guys, I've been swearing for two days since I have upgraded to fb2k 1.1 and my top button on my Logitech MX Revolution stopped working, Yes, I have set it to Play/Pause instead of the default Google Search, cause I always have Chrome open, so searching Google is 24/7 at hand, but I need to control the player more often (e.g. the kids come suddenly into my room while listening to NiN at full volume  Yes, fb2k stopped reacting to the button in hidden/inactive modes. Yes, I have tried all the tricks mentioned on all pages of the blessed World Wide Web (folks, you just cannot tell me any new search phrases regarding fb2k and SetPoint).

I started to think, if it happens only in the case of MM special keys / mouse buttons, but not in the case of regular keystrokes, why not emulating a regular keystroke with the mouse button?

So here is my solution -- simple as a brick, but more interestingly requires no registry or ini file hacking.

Step 1:

Two more remarks:

Yes, it seems so, this problem exists only in the case of Play/Pause. All other playback features (Stop, Next/Previous tracks, etc.) just work fine with the mouse buttons in the regular way.

Thanks, Logitech, yes, your hardwares are fantastic, but your softwares are a piece of crap.

Reply #94
For thoses who can't get it working with the infos provided in the OP, when trying to follow these instructions I noticed the fancy winid info was nowhere indicated in other lines in players.ini, so I just used the line without that info and it seems to work fine:

Foobar2000=wac,foobar2000.exe,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,foobar2000

Tested on Win 7 x64 SP1 with Setpoint Control Center 6.30.41 & Driver 5.30.67

Reply #95
This doesn't seem to be working in Windows 8. With SetPoint loaded I can only use my multimedia keys when foobar is minimized. If the window is active, no custom buttons work, neither on my mouse nor on my keyboard. And the OSD never works...

The same players.ini in Windows 7 works perfectly.

Reply #96
i thought i am gonna be an archeologist writing in this topic, but hopefully i am not
well, the problem is as follows:
- my play/pause doesnt work at all, even foobar cant recognize the key in shortcut preferences, but for ex. WMP works perfectly with this key
- Win 8 pro x64
- foo 1.2.3
- i am using my laptop Asus series N61VN
- even Windows driver nor the ATK drivers for HotKeys doesnt seems to work in this case
- shit didn't work even on Windows 7 in the past.

The thing that bother me the most, is why this crap works with shitty WMP, and can't work with something better.

ps. since i am using Win 8 i lost the multimedia keys, that i had in Win 7 when i just putted the cursor on foo on task bar, any ideas?

Reply #97
"So you've followed the instructions, tried the troubleshooting steps, and it still doesn't work. No worries. Post:"

"What didn't work"
Multimedia keys are ignored while focus is on Calc from LibreOffice

"Whether the media keys work in foobar when it's focused"
Yes and also while other programs are focused

"Your version of Windows"
Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1

"Your version of Foobar"

"What keyboard you're using"
Lenovo laptop keyboard (g550 model 20023)

"What drivers / software you have installed for your keyboard"
Standard keyboard driver PS/2, version 6.1.7601.17514

"Anything else you think might be relevant"
Multimedia keys work perfectly for Winamp, also while Calc is focused.
With both Foobar2000 and Winamp running only Winamp reacts to multimedia keys (I mentioned it on wiki - http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...Multimedia_keys )
This problem is considered to be a LibreOffice bug ( https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32664 ) though Winamp found workaround.

Reply #98
Hello.
I have a question. I have some SpeedLink keyboard with multimedia keys. Is it possible to assign some action to key that occurs after holding a key for some period of time? For example on my keyboard default action for ">>" button in foobar is skip song which is great but i also want to forward song with just by holding it for some time (0,5 sec or 1 sec).

Reply #99
Hello.
I have a question. I have some SpeedLink keyboard with multimedia keys. Is it possible to assign some action to key that occurs after holding a key for some period of time? For example on my keyboard default action for ">>" button in foobar is skip song which is great but i also want to forward song with just by holding it for some time (0,5 sec or 1 sec).

Also i have another problem. Some time ago i had to repair windows (because i got new motherboard) and i found now that play/pause multimedia key no longer launches foobar.  After i launch it manually pausing and resuming with or without focus works great as before.