Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are USB drives just as good for ripping? (Read 4798 times) previous topic - next topic

Are USB drives just as good for ripping?

Are external USB drives just as good for ripping CDs as internal ones?  I mean, can you get the same features and speed from a good drive in an external USB 2.0 enclosure using EAC (windows) or XLD (Mac)?

If a USB drive can be just as good, can anyone recommend a low cost drive/enclosure combo that's easy to get from some online seller?  I'm really only interested in ripping CDs so the drive doesn't have to be a burner.

I have an old plextor 24/10/40A drive that works quite well already, if someone could recommend a "ripping friendly" enclosure for it.

Thanks!

Reply #1
I would imagine they should be the same? It's just a different interface at the end of the day.

I take it it's for a laptop as external drives are more expensive as they need the enclosure, power supply etc.

Reply #2
It's just a different interface at the end of the day.

It is this difference that can cause problems, such as the ability to pass along C2 error information.

Reply #3
There shouldn't be a problem with eSATA, if you can use that.

Reply #4
Depends on the on a few things, some externals can pass along C2 error information.

Reply #5
I have a Samsung external DVD burner I bought a couple of years ago that works well.  I also have my Plextor Premium CD burner in an external enclosure.  Both work well and pass along C2 information.

If you have a drive you want to use, use EAC with it, pop a scratched disc in, and run the "detect C2 errors" test to see if it will detect them.

I do my ripping from my laptop.  Laptop drives are notoriously slow at ripping audio CDs, so using a USB drive is essential for me.  I haven't had any trouble.

Reply #7
It is this difference that can cause problems, such as the ability to pass along C2 error information.

Cheers, I did not know that!