Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AccurateRip 10 years old (Read 10966 times) previous topic - next topic

AccurateRip 10 years old

Reply #25
I want to thank spoon for not only having the idea of a database, but then actually acting on it and implementing it. I hope AccurateRip sticks around the life of the CD, plus 75 years.

Lossless downloads already exist, but the benefit is really minimal. MP3 (and even AAC) support is ubiquitous today, and will likely be for a long time, the need to transcode to other formats is negligible. Also, see my point above, audio formats hardly matter.

I have no objection to the truth of what you say from an audibility standpoint. I just think if you see no significant benefit to lossless music in the first place, surely AccurateRip is of even less value since its purpose isn't really to catch big, audible defects like skips, most often it's some small number of samples that have gone wrong. Seems to me the logical end of that line of thinking is that you might as well skip dBpowerAMP or EAC and setting them up properly and rip CDs that are in good condition with Windows Media Player.

AccurateRip 10 years old

Reply #26
I have no objection to the truth of what you say from an audibility standpoint. I just think if you see no significant benefit to lossless music in the first place, surely AccurateRip is of even less value since its purpose isn't really to catch big, audible defects like skips, most often it's some small number of samples that have gone wrong. Seems to me the logical end of that line of thinking is that you might as well skip dBpowerAMP or EAC and setting them up properly and rip CDs that are in good condition with Windows Media Player.
I was not saying that secure ripping software is pointless, I was rather suggesting that most people tend to obsess about minor problems, which don't really matter most of the time, if at all.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

AccurateRip 10 years old

Reply #27
I know what you mean, I'm just saying isn't that mostly AccurateRip's purpose? No offense, of course; I use it and am quite happy to.  But I've ripped many tracks and gotten the message that one wasn't accurate with no audible defects. Purchases from the iTunes store may have no audible defects but I don't think that defeats the purpose of buying lossless files instead or wanting for them to be offered. But I forgot, Engelsstaub was also talking about 24/96 and such, so I take it you were addressing that more than CD quality lossless.

And congratulations on 666 posts. 

AccurateRip 10 years old

Reply #28
Thank you.

I was really off-topic on that one. Belated congrats to spoon.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

AccurateRip 10 years old

Reply #30
Someone mentioned an ARv3 above - is one actually coming?

Yes, with some potentially AMAZING improvements:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=90998

It seems it will compete with CTDB (though I will still like to see CTDB available within dbpoweramp to both submit and correct, and making CTDB track based may encourage spoon...)

AccurateRip 10 years old

Reply #31
thx,
I admire your efforts