Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dumb (Read 314099 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dumb

Reply #551
Please upload your foo_dumb.dll.cfg.

I tried to delete the cfg and it seemed to fix the problem.
I saved the the problem cfg for investigation: foo_dumb.dll.cfg
I then rechecked the settings. Seems to be volume ramping, if it is set to "none" it will be silent.

The volume ramping issue should have been solved several versions ago.

Hello, kode54!
This song after end (1:33) does not move to the beginning.
http://files.exotica.org.uk/modland/?file=...on%20jamming.xm

This issue is now corrected as well.

foo_dumb

Reply #552
Hi Kode54,

I hope you're doing well. I found a few things to report using the latest foo_dumb release v1.0.134.

Test.xm: foo_dumb's ft2play does not play the entire module but ends playback after 10 seconds, default foo_dumb processes it fine.
Bergsmaetaren Lever.xm: Drums on channel 03 are represented too quiet and are barely hearable using foo_dumb's ft2play, default foo_dumb reproduces them fine.

I noticed that the dynamic song position info for current/total used channels is not displayed for Impulse Tracker modules using foo_dumb's ft2play.

foo_dumb

Reply #553
Test.xm, my old buddy. That is due to incorrect row tracking for loop counting. I'll fix it soon.

The other xm is probably also like that in FT2, please confirm.

As for the channel counts, that is because the modplay/playptmod mode uses BASS for it modules, to support effects mixing, and that doesn't report channel counts. I may remove that feature in the future.

foo_dumb

Reply #554

I checked it, it's not the same. Fasttracker 2 reproduces the drums like I hear them with default foo_dumb. Please check the FLAC conversions below for yourself.

bergsmaetaren_lever_Fasttracker2.flac (3.29MB)

bergsmaetaren_lever_Foo_dumb_ft2play.flac (3.53MB)

As for the channel counts, that is because the modplay/playptmod mode uses BASS for it modules, to support effects mixing, and that doesn't report channel counts. I may remove that feature in the future.

Why would you want to remove it, because bass.dll does not provide the function for .it modules? Let's try the other way around, I raise a request in Ian's forum to add support for it, hopefully shouldn't be to much to ask for.

foo_dumb

Reply #555

I checked it, it's not the same. Fasttracker 2 reproduces the drums like I hear them with default foo_dumb. Please check the FLAC conversions below for yourself.

bergsmaetaren_lever_Fasttracker2.flac (3.29MB)

bergsmaetaren_lever_Foo_dumb_ft2play.flac (3.53MB)

Both of these sound loud enough to me, drum wise. Try muting all but channel 3 and compare again? I think the converter will obey the mute settings, on startup at least.

foo_dumb

Reply #556
Hi kode54,

Tried to play back unreal2_scirreal_mix.xm the other day and noticed the synth lead that kicks in around 1:15 isn't produced correctly.

I'm sure this worked in the recent past.  Updated just before submitting to ensure it still occurred in the newest version.

More importantly, thanks for the great work.

foo_dumb

Reply #557
Both of these sound loud enough to me, drum wise. Try muting all but channel 3 and compare again? I think the converter will obey the mute settings, on startup at least.

I just did that and doh... confirmed, you are right. Obviously I managed to fool myself. Thanks for checking back, though. 

foo_dumb

Reply #558
Tried to play back unreal2_scirreal_mix.xm the other day and noticed the synth lead that kicks in around 1:15 isn't produced correctly.

It would be of great help to provide a link to the module in question, no need to waste Kode54's time searching for it, agreed?
Like here: unreal2 scirreal mix.xm

foo_dumb

Reply #560

It would be of great help to provide a link to the module in question, no need to waste Kode54's time searching for it, agreed?
Like here: unreal2 scirreal mix.xm

Fixed, it was a very stupid problem in GetNewNote(). Now wait until kode54 pushes the fix to foo_dumb.dll. He did try to fix it without asking me first, but he used a hack that would not really fix the problem itself at all (facepalm).

foo_dumb

Reply #561
Said hack was never published in the modplay repository or foo_dumb.

foo_dumb

Reply #562
I know, but it would be better to leave attempts of bugfixing the main replayer engine to me, unless you compare with the original asm source code and find the problem itself. I know you didn't push the change, but just saying, no offense meant! 

foo_dumb

Reply #563
I did push it to Cog, but like 5 people use that.

foo_dumb

Reply #564
Many thanks to both of you.

foo_dumb

Reply #565

Why would you want to remove it, because bass.dll does not provide the function for .it modules? Let's try the other way around, I raise a request in Ian's forum to add support for it, hopefully shouldn't be to much to ask for.

Hi Kode54,
so you may want to hold your breath until the next release of bass.dll: http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=16156.0

Good evening Kode54,
a new version of Bass.dll was just released which should provide the previously missing functionality regarding .it module channel count.

foo_dumb

Reply #566
Updated with that. Also updated foo_midi with new BASS, BASSMIDI, and BASSFLAC.

foo_dumb

Reply #567
Updated with that. Also updated foo_midi with new BASS, BASSMIDI, and BASSFLAC.

Great, thank you! A first check with the module bubbles.it gives different results, though. The module reaches its channel count peak at order 61.  Foo_dumb reports a quite lesser amount of active channels (128 ch) compared to XMPlay (267 ch) and Impulse Tracker (256 ch). Note that Impulsetracker is limited to a maximum of 256 active channels.

foo_dumb

Reply #568
Fixed. I wasn't aware of how to set the virtual channel cap, I've raised it from the default of 64 to the absolute limit of 512.

foo_dumb

Reply #569
Thank you very much for the quick fix.
Have yourself a Merry Christmas![/i]

foo_dumb

Reply #570
And welcome to the new year everyone

I have a question. Is it my foobar setup or .STM support is broken at the moment? I've updated both foobar (to 1.3.6) and foo_dumb (to 1.0.139), but opening .STM still results in "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file)".

... oh, small correction: some STM modules (3 out of 46) do play. They are not renamed files (as I thought at first), but are actually .STM modules.
I also checked the files in another player to make sure files weren't damaged and are actually playable. The set is the modules I've listened to since the 90s when I first discovered tracker music. I found one of the problematic files on modarchive: 64mix.stm

I've played with the settings, but to no avail. Also, can someone please explain about playptmod / modplay? Does foo_dumb now use more than one engine? I didn't do much testing, but playptmod seems to be sounding better, although seeking on long tracks is much slower (more than 5 seconds sometimes, is this normal?).

Another set of .xm, .s3m, .mtm and .it modules opens and plays fine.

foo_dumb

Reply #571
This has nothing to do with playptmod or modplay, and everything to do with DUMB itself. Due to an issue with programming design, it was still attempting to seek to the offsets of non-existent samples, which was failing. This was a slight change over the previous releases of DUMB, which did not support seeking, and therefore treated the out of bounds offsets as missing samples. I have fixed it.

foo_dumb

Reply #572
This has nothing to do with playptmod or modplay, and everything to do with DUMB itself. Due to an issue with programming design, it was still attempting to seek to the offsets of non-existent samples, which was failing. This was a slight change over the previous releases of DUMB, which did not support seeking, and therefore treated the out of bounds offsets as missing samples. I have fixed it.

It's working again, thank you!

And what about slow seeking speed with playptmod enabled? (I assume you were talking about another kind of seeking in this reply)
Could something be done about it?

...oh, I found your explanation of what playptmod checkbox actually does. You say "Playptmod is applicable for all Protracker and Fast Tracker II compatible .MOD files, as well as even older Noisetracker files." But I see horribly slow seek time with this option on even with, say, .S3Ms. I don't understand why it affects playback of other formats.

foo_dumb

Reply #573
Also just fixed. The DUH/DUMB wrappers I wrote for playptmod and st3play/ft2play weren't taking advantage of incoming null pointers, which should have been forwarded to the libraries to bypass mixing. Then st3play and ft2play needed a quick fix so their Fixed16 and Fixed32 rendering functions can accept null buffer pointers, just like the Float functions.

foo_dumb

Reply #574
looks like seeking is off a bit... unless it can be funky when one clicks the seek bar just right... ?_?

File    : A94FINAL - Deep in her Eyes.S3M
by    : Introversion Software
Game: Uplink  (Steam Game)
Title  : Deep in her Eyes

when I click the seek bar at aprox 14-15 sec.
I should her "digital dreams crossing over the sea, welcome to the deadlock of reality"

what I do hear is "digital dream*welcome to the deadlock"