Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Duplication of Artists In Windows Media Player (Read 4582 times) previous topic - next topic

Duplication of Artists In Windows Media Player

I had a 25 GB music collection with no tags whatsoever written. I recently bought a creative zen vision m and decided to organize my music. It proved to be much harder than i thought it would be and took me 2 weeks of ardous work arranging tags, downloading titles, writing genres and downloading album art. When i was finally done and happy with my arrangement. I added all the music to my windows media player 11 and media center library.

Well now the problem is that i have numerous duplications on my artists lists. For exampe aerosmith has two entries with albums two albums in one entry while the other two appear under the other entry. I have checked spelling and merged the artists in media player but "media center application" still shows duplication. Furthermore, my creative zen also shows duplication. Kindly please tell me what to do

Looking forward to reply and thankyou.

Reply #1
I would download mp3tag at mp3tag.de and use that to modify the tags. Under tools > options > tags > mpeg, select your favorite tag types under "write" (ID3v2.3 UTF-16 seems to be conflict-free for me in terms of character display, and id3v1 should be fine for WMP too), select all under "remove", and whatever tag types already exist on there under "read". Make sure not to check the "too small" option. Hit OK. Select all music files and click the little disk icon...go get some coffee, writing new id3v2 tags can take a while, depending on your computer and the size of your library. But you should be OK after that. WMP will have to scan ("monitor) its library, of course. Hope this helps.

Reply #2
I used tag&rename to write all my tags. It would take a lot of time to write all these tags again. . Is there some way that i can "Clean up" all my tag automatically so that to make them compliant to windows media player?

Furthermore what is the difference between different types of tags that is id3 vs id2 etc etc.

Reply #3
I'm not sure what's causing your dupes. Usually when that happens in WMP, it's because of a difference in the spelling of the artist name in the ARTIST field of the ID3 tag, e.g. "Smashing Pumpkins" vs. "The Smashing Pumpkins".

Another thing is that to handle multi-artist discs and tracks on which more than one primary artist appears, WMP organizes music by the BAND (referred to as ALBUM ARTIST in WMP) field of the tag. For example, if a song featured ArtistA and ArtistB, but was from ArtistB's CD, WMP would tag it as follows, by field:

ARTIST: ArtistA;ArtistB
BAND: ArtistB

Not all tagging programs follow this convention - most just deal with the ARTIST field only. Therefore, it could be that this is the case with the your tracks and that WMP sees them as incompletely tagged when they're imported to its library. I think what may the problem in your case is that the BAND field is empty, thus confusing WMP. Since you probably use WMP to sync your library to your DAP, the confusion is spreading from your PC to the Zen.

You can fix this manually by right clicking the song in question in WMP's library and selecting "Advanced Tag Editor". In the 2nd tab, you should see a field marked "Album Artist". Edit it as you desire, and then click "Apply" and "OK".

That's my first stab at a diagnosis. Try it and tell us if it works .
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #4
If you want to modify/view "Album Aritst" in WMP, adding the "Album Artist" column in List view is a bit faster and easier.  The supplied "Advanced Tag Editor" is far from advanced.    If you are a MCE user, it's pretty much madatory to use Album Artist grouping to keep everything organized.  (The same is true for iTunes now, thanks to the "CoverFlow" view.)

Reply #5
I have checked all the spellings and all the artists are spelled similarly but even then they show up "split" in the wmp 11. I have tried merging the split artists in wmp which works for wmp but the problem persists in mce and dap. Can anyone pin poin the problem.

Reply #6
I have checked all the spellings and all the artists are spelled similarly but even then they show up "split" in the wmp 11. I have tried merging the split artists in wmp which works for wmp but the problem persists in mce and dap. Can anyone pin poin the problem.
Check the "Album Artist" tagging issue that grommet and I posted about.

EDIT: Check this out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...dvice/0089.mspx
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High