Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Mixer... alternative? (Read 14355 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Mixer... alternative?

Is there a software that can substitute the default windows mixer?
I need it to emulate an equalizer, for applications that doesn't have it. (It's not the case of winamp for example).

Reply #1
Isn't it so that most Souncarddrivers should be able to do this for you?  They might not replace the mixer entirely, but at least offer some sort of extended control panel. Guess it depends on the Soundcard though how good the EQ is.

Am not sure wether thats exactly what you are looking for though.

Reply #2
I have yet to see a card whose drivers have built-in EQ.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #3

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz  It's actually a hardware eq.

Reply #4

my Live! has it in the drivers, it's standard for all Creative cards. M-audio cards don't as well as many others.
The Plan Within Plans

Reply #5
My Terratec as well.  Guess it depends on what model card you have then.

Reply #6
EQ for SBLive? Which drivers and card? (except kX drivers of course, I know about them...)

BTW, which TerraTec card it is?
ruxvilti'a

Reply #7
at least my (Terratec) xFire 1024 (an old card) has it. From my experience, i'd say it depends on the chipset used, not the model. For example, i know that other cards which use the same chipset as my card, also have an EQ built into the drivers.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #8
/me smacks himself on the head,

my Crative's Live! drivers also installed AudioHQ, in there if I go to Speaker then EAX tab, there are a boat load of presents, but you are right no manual EQ.
The Plan Within Plans

Reply #9

No, there really is a patch for Parametric EQ on SBLive AFAIK... (Liveware 2, 2.1 and 3)
ruxvilti'a

Reply #10

my Live! has it in the drivers, it's standard for all Creative cards.

I guess you mean "all the expensive Creative cards" when you say "all Creative cards", because PCI128 and similar models don't have that. 

Reply #11
You could try Sound Control, available here.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #12
Thanks for that link Madrigal.  At first glance, that software appears to be great!

Dex

Just what I was looking for. 

Reply #13

The on board cheapo Realtek 5.1 ALC650 of my MSI motherboard has one at the "Sound Manager". It also has fancy reverb and pitch settings, and "Envirements".
She is waiting in the air

Reply #14
hmm. My Aureal SuperQuad something-or-other card had an EQ, as does my Hercules Fortissimo III, as does my Nforce2's SoundStorm or whatever they call it. No idea which of them, if any, were hardware EQs on the card itself or just in the drivers.

Reply #15
BTW, which TerraTec card it is?

Sorry about the slightly late answer.  Completely overlooked this thread the last days.

It is a Terratec Six Pack.

Reply #16
I'm looking for the same thing.  I want a freeware realtime output EQ that "sits" between any playback source (WinAMP, CD playback, Quintessential, etc.) and my soundcard.  A "system EQ", in essence.  My soundcard is an Echo Indigo, and it does have its own console software which seems to have replaced my Windows mixer.  It has some channel managements functions (level, balance, muting) but no equalization.  My OS is WinXP.

I looked at Sound Control, but it's only seems to configure hotkeys for channel management functions, but I couldn't find any EQ function in it.  I tried using an internet search for +freeware +eq, and looked through the first 70 results that it came up with, but to no avail.  Found one, LizzEQ, that turned out to be a Cubase/VST plug-in.  I need one that I guess would be a Windows XP plug-in(?).  I did find a few non-freeware options, but I'd rather get a freeware solution if one exists.

Preferably something with at least 10 bands per channel (the more the better), at least +/-12 dB adjustment range (+/-15 dB would be even better), with as good/clean sound quality output as possible.

Does such a thing as a freeware system EQ application exist?  If not, I guess I can come off $15 to $25 and buy a shareware EQ, but it better be really freakin' good if I have to pay for it! 

Reply #17
While I was reading the responses in this thread I came to exactly the same idea as ScorLibran has had.

As I'm using some desktop speakers that really don't have a flat frequency response and windows sound sound not like I want them to sound.
I love the moderators.

Reply #18
My favorite volume control, has no EQ but it is great to mute the sound quickly when needed. Check out Slava Glory's Volumetray. The link while editing does not look, but here it is:
Glorysoft
I have also purchased izotope ozone to do a parametric EQ in addition to Soundblaster's EQ.
I do correct for the bass weaknes of HD580 with the SB EQ and I correct for loudness with izotope ozone. Then I am happy.

Reply #19
I guess you mean "all the expensive Creative cards" when you say "all Creative cards", because PCI128 and similar models don't have that. 

I would hardly call a Live! 5.1 an expensive card.  Its cheap and old now (maybe not as cheap and as old as the PCI 128, but none the less).
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #21

btw-  I have never been able to get RTEQ to work as it should.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #22
How about this solution:
Install ASIO4ALL driver and Plogue Bidule (or Console Sound Modular Studio).
Direct Windows sound to ASIO4ALL driver in windows control panel.
Send ASIO4ALL output via ASIO to Bidule.
Apply a vst effect (for example the equalization you want) in Bidule and send via ASIO to sound card ASIO driver.

I haven't used any of this software so can't guarantee it will work. If it does it will be a very flexible solution.