Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: playing wv (wavpack) files on ipod classic (Read 11190 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: playing wv (wavpack) files on ipod classic

Reply #26
would you expect the download to be instantaneous ?  in any case, i have a 1.3.3, a 1.3.6, and now a 1.6.7. (exe file).   but if i click my icon, it still goes to 1.3.6.  normally, the download changes my icons to the version that i downloaded.  i have one icon on my desk top.  and then another at the bottom in the command line, or whatever it is called (near the shutdown button).  how can i change those icons to refer to the latest version ?

Reply #27
Did you do a standard or portable install of 1.6.7?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #28
i have no idea what a portable install is ?  i did not do anything special, as far as i know

Reply #29
When you did the install of 1.6.7 what did this screen say?

If your not sure, run the installer again.

Reply #30
i dont recall that screen at all

Reply #31
i went here, the link up above   https://www.foobar2000.org/download

there is a place to click for 1.6.7, which i did

i think it only downloaded the .exe file.  that screen that you just showed never came up.  this is why it was instantaneous

Reply #32
did you double click the 1.6.7 file you downloaded?

Reply #33
no, let me do that !!

Reply #34
ok, now i am on 1.6.7 !!

Reply #35
oh my gosh, i now have 13 alac files.  if i just click on it, it tells me that windows media player can not play this file.  but i can load them into foobar, and play them.  is this expected ?

Reply #36
Yes, i don't think WMP supports ALAC natively.

Reply #37
thank you so much.  i just imported these 13 songs into itunes, to experiment.  it added it as a separate folder, but under the same artist.  which is great.  my mp3 file only has 4 of the 13 songs.  so i only downloaded the songs that i wanted on my ipod, even with the mp3s.  the only thing i need to figure out now is if there is some way i can differentiate the mp3 folders from the m4a folders ?  and more importantly the sync of my mp3s ?  will that sync be smart enough to ignore an m4a folder ?  or will it try to include everything by that artist ?  but i do now have the ability to import m4a files into itunes

Reply #38
Sorry i can't help you their, I've never actually used iTunes apart from restoring iPod firmware.

I do all my iPod syncing with Foobar2000.

Reply #39
i have many ipods.  some of them only have special playlists on them.  so you can pick and choose, to some degree.  i need to call up itunes, and recall just how i set up the various ipods, and whether i can pick and choose between folders within the same artist ? but i have done about as much as i feel like doing for today !!!

Reply #40
Just to jump back on topic.

Have you thought about just using an Android phone with a 1tb SD card and an external USB-C to 3.5mm DAC?

Reply #41
are you speaking greek - LOL.  i am not too familiar with many of those terms.  but i dont even own a cell phone, and dont want one.  so that probably is not gonna be an option for me !!

Reply #42
but in thinking out loud, i think i have synced all my ipods by playlists.  so i am more confident that i can separate the mp3s from m4as, by just creating playlists where i only put the new m4a files in, as i convert them.

Reply #43
thanks to all the help from everyone who contributed.  the fact that i have apple lossless loaded into itunes is way further than i ever anticipated being, at this point.

Reply #44
i added a playlist, called NEW, where i will start listening to these new m4a songs.  i will be creating new playlists, in which i only enter m4a files.  so this will work perfectly, for me.  after listening to them, i will either place them in new playlists, or delete them, if i dont want them on my ipod.  i have purchased a lot of stuff that i have never listened to, as of yet.  so this is a fun lifetime project, for me.  now that you guys got me on the track that i need to be on !!  i loaded these 13 new files on my current ipod.  one thing i noticed already is that they are at a lower volume level.  i do use mp3gain on all the mp3 files to the highest number, without it going past the point that it should.  i know there is a wvgain that is supposed to operate on wavpack files.  is there also that sort of program for m4a files ?  the only gain program that i have actually used is just mp3gain.  but that works quite well, for my needs, on mp3 files

Reply #46
this article was written in march, 2020 - so things could have changed.  but according to this, it only works for mp3, wav, aac (is this apple lossy format ?), and aiff.  so it does not look like it can be used on wv or m4a files ?

Reply #47
It will work on all formats that iTunes supports.

All it does is scan the file and figure out it's "loudness" and then writes the change in volume in to the files tag\database so Itunes\iPod knows how much to change the volume at playback to make all the music a similar volume. it's a far better way than physically changing the volume on the audio file which maybe impossible to reverse.

Reply #48
okay, i will give that a try.  when i did my last research a long time ago, i recall it saying that it does not damage the file, because it does not do any changes to the audio.  it just changes some tag to tell it what volume to play.  but it could clip, if played too high.  that is my understanding of the mp3gain program

Reply #49
mp3gain can be quite dangerous since it does actually alter the file. If the mp3gain undo tag gets removed you have no idea what the original volume was so you can revert the volume change.

Soundcheck and replaygain just store the change in volume in the tag so as long as your using a supported device\player you can volume match. If the soundcheck\replaygain tag is nuked for some reason you just need to rescan the file again and the tag is recreated since the audio wasn't physically changed.