Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 224985 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #775
Ok, I've done more debugging on my end with a clean install. I can not reproduce it.

The problem is in my old setup - it seems to be some other conflict.

Sorry for the multiple reports.
 :-[

Reply #776
@WilB I have a problem with the script . As you see in the left side in the photos, the circles (filmstrip) become either almost invisible, or a rectangle appears instead of a circle, and finally the third possibility , a combination between the first 2 (almost invisible circles and a rectangle) . I have the latest version  of SMP (1.5.2). If I try to resize (using Ctrl and drag the line) the circles, sometimes the problem disappears, sometimes not

Edit: I forgot to post a pic with the normal situation

Reply #777
Sorry but I can't reproduce, despite trying to mimic want seem to be your settings. I assume you using bio v1.2.0 as there was a possible relevant fix since the betas.

Do you have any insight into how to reproduce? Is the device busy when it happens? If images can't immediately be read from disk, that could delay loading but they should still load after a while.

You could try resetting panel properties (ensure you create a back-up first) and server settings [.yttm\biography.cfg] (should automatically back-up).

If the problem persists, then you could post the problematical panel properties & server settings to see if I can spot anything.

Reply #778
Awesome plugin! I'm not sure how I didn't discover it before.

Anyways, I saw a few people request this way back in the thread, but didn't find anything conclusive.

Is it possible to run multiple instances that use different tags for searching (eg. artist, composer, etc)? I'd like to have a tabbed panel with one tab for each working independently.

Thanks!

Reply #779
Awesome plugin! I'm not sure how I didn't discover it before.

Anyways, I saw a few people request this way back in the thread, but didn't find anything conclusive.

Is it possible to run multiple instances that use different tags for searching (eg. artist, composer, etc)? I'd like to have a tabbed panel with one tab for each working independently.

Thanks!

Took the initiative and did a simple mod to do this in addition to searching compositions. Not the cleanest, but I've made the code available here: https://github.com/mayanez/WilB-Biography-Mod The package .zip can be downloaded from the releases page.

@WilB I couldn't find a GitHub repo for the project, not sure if you have one. Just a suggestion, posting your code there might make it easier to make contributions :)

Reply #780
Thanks for your helpful contribution, which I have now looked at in detail.

1) I've added the ability to set the server used on a panel specific basis.

2) I've added a 'Classical music mode' in which allmusic is searched by composition instead of album. This didn't require a separate server instance, just the ability to set the composition tag to be used and a context menu item to enable on a per panel basis. It avoids changing %BIO_ALBUM% which broke other functionality.

I wasn't sure about your fuzzy matching method for the composition search. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, given the extra matching difficulties with compositions, but AFAICT it accepted a match level of .33 (33%) which didn't seem rigorous enough to me. FuzzySet was used to return best match, which needn't be a good one since it was set at .33. That matched title was then passed into the inbuilt utility match checker, which just accepted it as it was in the list.

So I'm inclined to rework that, such that FuzzySet sorts the response, which is then checked in match order by inbuilt utility match checker. It will give a choice over whether or not to include partial matches. If partial matching is on, the fuzzy match minimum would be 80%.

The new features should be in the next version + some more exciting stuff...

Reply #781
Glad it’s useful  :))

So the way I integrated the FuzzySet to work with the existing matches was simply to minimize changes in case I had to maintain the fork going forward. Excellent news to hear that it’s going to be “mainlined”! I used the default 0.33 as I wasn’t sure what a good value was. I’d need to log a number of queries to get a better idea. Ideally, the internal matched should get entirely replaced by FuzzySet since it does more than just Levenshtein matching which is lacking for the complexity of composition names.

Additionally, slightly related, I was going to start working on adding Wikidata/Wikipedia as an additional source of data. It helps fill in some of the blanks with allmusic. Not sure if this is something you’ll eventually want to merge as well.

Looking forward to the new version!

Reply #782
Stopped displaying and downloading from the fins.fm photo, I don't understand why, updated to the latest beta

Reply #783
I restarted the player several times and even rebooted the computer until I found the "reload" button in the drop-down menu, it worked

Reply #784
the second time it crashes today when trying to update (((

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spider Monkey Panel v1.6.0 ({5A0A6AEC-AF5F-445E-8BC8-1F6340F822F7}: Biography v1.2.0 by WilB): initialized in 15 ms

Machine specifications:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400T CPU @ 1.70GHz, features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
CPU threads: 6
(3- CA CXA80 1.0)

Reply #786
I couldn't figure out why 1.6 was laid out, but it can't be used. Thanks I reinstalled

Reply #787
First of all, must have add-on for foobar.
Thanks a lot for sharing.

I was planning to upgrade from the 1.1.2 to the latest version... everything was working fine but I had to revert back because I couldn't reproduce a very basic behavior.

I need to be able to choose the image 'disc.jpg' for example and for it to stay fix without 'cycling'...
I thought I found a way by selecting 'cycle above' and only selecting 'disc' but once I restart foobar the image start with 'cover'...weird behavior...so...
I've checked pretty much every options... but couldn't reproduce this basic behavior, like I easily could in the 1.1.2.

Am I missing something? or it is now mandatory to have some kind of cycling... and the function to have a fix image isn't anymore?

Thanks.

Reply #789
Thank you mjm716 for answering... but, unfortunately for me, it's nothing that simple.
I'm using this plugin as my artwork display so I've dealt with a lot of tweaking and quiet familiar with all options of the plugin (1.1.2).

Of course I tried what you suggest here and pretty much every combination of options...

...and it even work to a certain extend... I'm able to only display 'disc'... by selecting 'cycling' above, and check 'disc' while unchecking 'cover' 'back' 'artist...
...but, like I said... the issue is that... once I restart foobar... then, where it should display the 'disc' art... it revert back automatically to 'cover'... if you use the mouse scrolls then you can cycle between 'cover' and 'disc' despite the fact that 'cover' is unchecked and thus should not be displaying at all...

Anyway, weird behavior... probably a scenario that wasn't tested since the 1.2 release or a peculiar issue with my setup... at the very least I'd like someone to try and confirm this behavior...

ALTERNATIVELY... is there an already built-in way to link the 'album view' directly to a folder but 'per album' instead of 'by artist'.
by default we can do it with the built-in artist in 'img_art'... or directly via the classic 'cover' 'back' 'disc' 'artist' from the root folder...
Would be nice to have an option to display what's inside the 'scans' folder directly for example... for each album.

Seems like something that could already be built-in in this plugin... with 'covers: custom paths' But I couldn't figured it out to work... so, if someone know more about that... I'll appreciate the help.

Cheers.

Reply #790
@WilB Hello, thanks for providing this great script. I wanted to ask if there is somehow a setting I have missed to NOT display album moods in allmusic reviews. On good days you could say they are ridiculous, on bad days, well...
I am no .js programmer but I think you scrape them into the txt files and then display them out of them, right? If there is no setting for it could you show me where to prevent the display please?

Thanks

Reply #791
So been playing a little more with the latest version...
You're still able to display the 'disc' artwork only... by deselecting everything else... but

The confusion was due to a bug... when you refresh the panel and stay within the same album it revert back to the 'front' artwork...
Only once you change album then it display the correct one.

Which mean everytime you restart Foobar... it start with the wrong artwork until you select another album.
I'll wait to see if it get fix before upgrading since the previous version work well enough.
--------------------------------------

Oh, and... almost forgot... is there a way to keep the image aspect ratio while in the 'auto-fill' mode...?
right now it depend on the panel size relative to the image size...
if they are both close... it will stretch the image to fill to the panel size... which isn't ideal to have stretched image..
only when we pass a certain threshold...the original image is a lot different form the panel size... then the image keeps it's original ratio.

Reply #792
The confusion was due to a bug... when you refresh the panel and stay within the same album it revert back to the 'front' artwork...
Only once you change album then it display the correct one.

Do you have more than one Bio Panel in your layout?

I had a similar issue of my panel changing display and only correcting if I reload it or switch tracks:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=112914.msg1002748#msg1002748

I thought it was related to SMP1.6 issues, but it turns out the problem is related to having more than 1 bio panel.

In my particular case with 2 unique bio (review) panels, it seems one review panel pulls data from another review panel when a server call happens after play start.

I was able to fix this issue by installing one panel (new SMP) and then *COPYING* that layout panel into my 2nd location before adjusting customization.

Reply #793
Yes I have more than one panel.

And if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure I simply duplicated the first panel I had by copy paste in 'layout'... so your solution might not work for my situation... but that's

...Good news either way, glad to see you could fix it... I will try from scratch with different method and/or customisation... see if I find out more... maybe it need different customization per panel to work...

Thank you... I have a few things to try out now.

Reply #794
Hi

I have a issue with aritist photo display. Don't show from last.fm. I have fresh install SMP 1.5.2 + Biography 1.2.0.

When i switch on cover it is but photo artist no.

I install fresh many times and not working. Reset to default not working.

Maybe on settings its wrong?

Some idea what should i do?

Thx for replay.

Reply #795
^ Last.fm were down earlier with 503 error (service temporarily unavailable) - should be working again now.

Reply #796

2) I've added a 'Classical music mode' in which allmusic is searched by composition instead of album. This didn't require a separate server instance, just the ability to set the composition tag to be used and a context menu item to enable on a per panel basis. It avoids changing %BIO_ALBUM% which broke other functionality.

I wasn't sure about your fuzzy matching method for the composition search. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, given the extra matching difficulties with compositions, but AFAICT it accepted a match level of .33 (33%) which didn't seem rigorous enough to me. FuzzySet was used to return best match, which needn't be a good one since it was set at .33. That matched title was then passed into the inbuilt utility match checker, which just accepted it as it was in the list.

So I'm inclined to rework that, such that FuzzySet sorts the response, which is then checked in match order by inbuilt utility match checker. It will give a choice over whether or not to include partial matches. If partial matching is on, the fuzzy match minimum would be 80%.

Hi, I'm very happy with the panel, but the switching of the focus between Artist and composer is exactly the missing feature I was looking for too. This version with a Classical mode isn't published yet? I'm using version 1.2.0 but can't find it there. Thanks.

Reply #797
Hi

I have a issue with aritist photo display. Don't show from last.fm. I have fresh install SMP 1.5.2 + Biography 1.2.0.

When i switch on cover it is but photo artist no.

I install fresh many times and not working. Reset to default not working.

Maybe on settings its wrong?

Some idea what should i do?

Thx for replay.

Can someone help resolve this issue?

Hi, I have a problem that foobar doesn't download artist pictures. When I go to the Last.fm website, the photos are there, but the program does not download them.
Descriptions download normally.

I tried on a clean install and the same.
I am currently using Foobar 1.6.8 DarkOne4Mod v1.0 (SMP).

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong or what to check in the settings?

Thx for any help.

Reply #798
Image downloading works on default settings so you shouldn't have to change anything.

2 things I can think of right now....

lack of connectivity to the third party website last.fm uses to host files. Test this link in Internet Explorer (yes really). Using your usual browser is not a valid test.

https://lastfm.freetls.fastly.net/i/u/770x0/20070beb90f84def9ead4336d7c929d4.jpg

If the above works, you might have some issue with some over zealous security software blocking outgoing connections when a background process is spawned calling cscript.exe (windows script host) which is what the script uses to download files.

Reply #799
marc2k3

Thx for replay

I used Microsoft Edge and return this image.

Normaly use Firefox and effect is the same i see picture.

That means it is ok?