Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best drive for ripping? (Read 16832 times) previous topic - next topic

best drive for ripping?

What are some good cd-rom drives to use for ripping cd's ? I have several drives and some work better than others..  I want one that is compatible with just about everything,  and is the most accurate.  I am actually looking for a dvd-rom too, so if possible I would like one that is pretty accurate at ripping audio cd's too.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #1
Well, I can tell you what I've had personal experience with, and that's the Yamama CRW3200 CD-R recorder. Apart from being a really excellent recorder (one of the best IMO) it's also quite good at ripping audio CD's. Despite the fact that it caches audio and has no C2 error reporting, I get around 5x - 10x (beginning/end of CD) ripping speeds, which I think is quite good (LAME runs at 1.8x on my puny Duron).

Also I, more or less randomly, bought my sister an Asus CD-S400 40x CD-ROM drive (she just uses it to play Diablo II and HOMM3), and found it to be awesome at ripping. It has the magic combo of no caching/accurate stream/C2, and I get 10x - 15x speeds with it. If you're looking for a DVD drive, you might wan't to consider Asus' offering.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #2
Your duron must be crappy cuz I get like 2x on a 466Mhz celeron in lame ;p.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #3
I have a Plextor Ultra Plex 14/32 (about 2 years old w/ the SCSI2 interface).  I LOVE the drive.  It has C2 and does DAE around 12-24x (12 at the beginning of the disc and just shy of 24x at the end).

I hear the ultra scsi version is faster yet.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #4
The best ATAPI drive for ripping is still TEAC's 540E - using the updated firmware gives a speed of 17-40X, flawlessly. Also reads CD-Text and reports C2 errors. As for SCSI drives I don't know too much but as always Plextor are said to be very good.
Hope this helps....

best drive for ripping?

Reply #5
I'm partial to my Afreey 50X... it's not the fastest (around 8x without C2 enabled), but I've never had a CD I couldn't rip with it. I've never heard a pop or click. For anyone with this drive, the offset is +108.

I've also have never had a problem with my PlexWriter 12/10/32. Speeds are about 3-6x with C2 disabled. The read offset for this drive is +99, the write offset is -30.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #6
yes...plextor.

this question was asked before, and i have said this before:

andre [EAC author] recommends plextor.  at the time i think it was the 24x cdrw drive [for both extraction and burning].

models off of the top of my head that have been known to kick ass:

dvd:
lite-on 163 / 165

cdrw:
teac 540
plextor 4012
plextor 2410
plextor 1610
lite-on 3212
lite-on 2410

right now it appears to me that the teac 540 and plextor 4012 are best for cdrw [although i am anxious for the liteon 4012 to get some attention in tests!]

most plextor drives can read leadin and leadout and are more feature-rich in collaboration with exact audio copy.

oooooh:
lite-on 165 for dvd rom
plextor 4012 for cdrw

check out this link for tests:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

and then do some price matching here:
http://www.pricewatch.com/

later
mike

best drive for ripping?

Reply #7
yamaha crw3200ez,  (24x10x40)
works great for me, get 20x - 32x. when using some ripper apps like AG.
and get about 12x+ with EAC.

8meg buffer, does cd-text also.
has something they call
"Audio Master Quality Recording" (High Quality audio writing mode)

QUOTE:  "this enables you to record high quality data that can be played back with the 1.4m/s linear velocity."

also can record to the Mount Rainer rewriting packet mode.

and overburning.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #8
Almost any newer drive.  My Toshiba SD-M1612 (DVD-ROM) is great, works fine with C2's (as most newer drives do).

best drive for ripping?

Reply #9
Definitely Plextor. I have an old UltraPlex 32 as well, soon 3 years old and still runs like a brand new.

BTW, many drives do not report C2s correctly even though they do support it.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #10
Personally I have been extremely satisfied with the Asus CD-S520 drive. It's among the best ones when it comes to ripping...sometimes it even reaches 24x in EAC (Safe Mode) and 98% of the cases stays above 12-15x. Great piece of work...

best drive for ripping?

Reply #11
I like my DVD reader Toshiba SD-M1612, it is capable of retrieving C2 error information, I can rip with EAC in secure mode at about 11x min. and 20x max. speeds, and it's cheap.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #12
I would say, the Toshiba 1612 DVD is a good choice, as well as almost any Plextor drive.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #13
Is there a way to verify that a drive properly supports C2? I remember reading that even though C2 may be reported, it may not work as it should. That's why I just leave it disabled for the time being.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #14
Is there a way to verify that a drive properly supports C2?
I suppose you could take some scratched CD (not so bad that it won't rip), and make an image of it twice (with and without C2), and compare them with EAC. If they're identical, I'd suppose everything is fine.

I don't know if there's a better way to do it though.

Edit: Clarification.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #15
Originally posted by Trelane
Is there a way to verify that a drive properly supports C2? I remember reading that even though C2 may be reported, it may not work as it should. That's why I just leave it disabled for the time being.

If your drive is Plextor 12/10/32A, I know for sure that C2 is correct. I had a really scratched CD I read for 3-4 hours without C2 and after that read couple of most problematic tracks with C2 enabled. The tracks were bit-identical.
The only way to test is by using scratched CD and then test that C2 version is not clicking more. It may not be bit-for-bit identical but there shouldn't be audible difference.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #16
I have found the Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A to be extremely fast and accurate. Reading speed starts at ~20x on the first track and reaches ~40x on the outer tracks. Overall average is somewhere around 30x. A full CD will take about 2.45 mins to rip. I guess follow up modells won't be much faster, since the DAE speed is allready on par with the regular reading speed of data CDs. Sadly I have only borrowed this drive. My own 8/4/32 Plexwriter reads ~16x on average which, considering it's age, is also a nice figure when compared to other drives. From what I know, Plextor drives have the least trouble when dealing with non Red-Book conform media. I'm sorry if this post is a little off topic because the question was about cd-rom/dvd drives and not writers, but I think this drive deserves to be mentioned. The burning features are solid too. Plexwriters will burn almost all types of CDRs you feed them. A fact which imho is often neglected when comparing drives.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #17
Originally posted by Case
The only way to test is by using scratched CD and then test that C2 version is not clicking more. It may not be bit-for-bit identical but there shouldn't be audible difference.

Fortunately, I have no badly scratched CDs. However, with all these copy protection schemes coming out, will C2 help with these discs?

best drive for ripping?

Reply #18
However, with all these copy protection schemes coming out, will C2 help with these discs?

It will help on the protection that uses audible clicks which should be fixed by cd player (was it safeaudio?). It works at least in EAC by checking "use C2 information for error correction".

best drive for ripping?

Reply #19
Originally posted by cd-rw.org
Definitely Plextor. I have an old UltraPlex 32 as well, soon 3 years old and still runs like a brand new.

BTW, many drives do not report C2s correctly even though they do support it.

This has been exhaustively discussed on the EAC forum.  The final word from Andre (author of EAC) is that on most drives, the resulting .WAV may differ from the original but the difference probably won't be audible (my experience backs this up). 

According to Andre, he uses C2 when in a hurry, and the oldschool method (reading twice) when he isn't.  I've tried the "reading twice" method with my drive, and thought I detected some clicking on some ripped tracks (but I didn't test this carefully).  There's apparently a 1:2^16 chance (each time) the "read twice" method could fail -- not insignificant odds.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #20
Originally posted by fewtch
There's apparently a 1:2^16 chance (each time) the "read twice" method could fail -- not insignificant odds.

There are no statistics yet.
First this probability should be only for unreadable samples. For correct parts, the probability of reading properly is 100 % Therefore 2^16 corrupted samples would lead to one secure mistake in average. In practice, it should be much higher, since obviously, not all bits of the sample are destroyed together.

I can't easily get identical rips of scratched CDs with Sony DDU1621 nor Teac 540, even when the "copy is OK", be it C2, no C2, or no C2+caching (Sony only, the Teac freezes when caching is checked) !

best drive for ripping?

Reply #21

As you should.... EAC does have an option to verify that a drive is actually returning C2 data, but there is no way to verify it is receiving ALL the C2 data that it SHOULD be. The origin of that EAC function is that some drives would report that they had C2 capability, when in fact they had none at all, and would never generate C2 errors... that function makes sure that the drive will, at least sometimes, properly report C2 errors, but it doesn't check that the C2 errors it is reporting represent 100% of all bad reads... in fact there really is no way to test that definitively. Basicly, when you are using a C2 mode, you are offloading error detection to hardware... that is why they are faster, the software no longer has to read every sector twice. However, by doing so, you are trusting that the drive really is catching 100% of all errors. Once on a scratched disc, I tried ripping twice, once with C2, once with a non C2 secure mode. Both rips reported some errors detected, and successfully recovered from via re-reads, resulting in supposedly perfect-to-the-bit copies. However, the CRCs didn't match. The C2 ripped copy had some errors that weren't picked up by C2

Essentially, ripping with C2 is not a 'secure' rip in an absolute sense... it is a fast, REALTIVELY secure rip mode (relative to simple burst or sync mode) but not suitable for archival purposes.

Edit: ok, i realized I just restated basicly whats already been said... though I will add one thing... i have been able to hear audible differecnes between a C2 ripped (with "copy OK") disc and original... though far less audible/annoying than the same disc ripped in non C2 with the resulting errors (i.e. non-'copy OK')... it would seem to me that when C2 misses an error, it is interpolating the previous and next good samples, resulting in a much more smoothed over error than the clicks you get with a 'normal' error. Don't know if thats whats actually happening, but thats what it sounds like. So my methodolgy when ripping a CD is to first try it with a non C2 mode, but if the disc is too damaged to be able to be read 'copy OK', then switch to C2, rip it, but make sure to make note that the resulting dupe is a non-exact copy.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #22
Originally posted by Randum
Both rips reported some errors detected, and successfully recovered from via re-reads, resulting in supposedly perfect-to-the-bit copies. However, the CRCs didn't match. The C2 ripped copy had some errors that weren't picked up by C2

Did you compare two different extractions without C2 ? Because I get this behaviour with and without C2, with and without cache. Once the CD is scratched and error correction starts, I have no more secure mode at all, every method fails to give matching CRCs.
However, it never happens if track quality is 100%.

For me, the two best clue that a rip is secure are track quality 100%, and CRC OK (+copy OK, of course).

Therefore I rip with C2 on, it's faster. Then if I don't get 100% quality, I re-rip in "test and copy" mode, until I get matching CRCs.

best drive for ripping?

Reply #23
I wote for Plextor and Lite-On, but only the CD-RW burners... No  CD or DVD-ROM:s... The last two always tend to have less functions and lower "read accuracy" than burners... Especially DVD-ROM:s which are never recommended for CDDA extraction...

best drive for ripping?

Reply #24
Originally posted by Sachankara
Especially DVD-ROM:s which are never recommended for CDDA extraction...

This is a myth. Where do you have this from?

Let me quote CD benchmark results from c't magazine (issue 24/01), for some drives that were mentioned here. DAE speed was measured with CD-Speed 99 and it's reference CD. Error correction test was done with a scratched (V-shape scratch) and stained CD.

ASUS CD-S520 (CD-ROM)
DAE speed: 15.3x
Reading prepared CD: 73:33 minutes needed / 527 errors left

LiteOn LTD-163 (DVD-ROM)
DAE speed: 34.2x
Reading prepared CD: 37:42 minutes needed / 240 errors left

Sony DDU1621 (DVD-ROM)
DAE speed: 21.9x
Reading prepared CD: 28:54 minutes needed / 302 errors left

Toshiba SD-M1612 (DVD-ROM)
DAE speed: 22.0x
Reading prepared CD: 16:48 minutes needed / 187 errors left