Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg for Mono files (Read 3588 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg for Mono files

I'm deciding how to encode some old blues tunes (Lead Belly 'Last Sessions').  I believe the source is mono (the original almost certainly is, as it was recorded when tape had only just come out).  Yet I get a smaller file if I encode downmixed to mono instead of in stereo (both at -q4)

So if the source is mono, and the left channel is therefore the same as the right, wouldn't joint stereo mean that the two files should be the same?

Oh, and if anyone has suggestions about how to encode these files I'll take them too!

Cheers, Paul

Ogg for Mono files

Reply #1
The savings are from several reasons:

1) it still has to store that the right channels is the same as the left channel

2) the encoding is optimized for typical tracks - which aren't mono if you're encoding stereo material

Ogg for Mono files

Reply #2
Thanks Garf, that makes a lot of sense!

Cheers, Paul
(yes I know I need to update my sig)

Ogg for Mono files

Reply #3
Also, if you're recording as if it were stereo (e.g. stereo tape head and stereo soundcard input) there might be subtle differences in things such as the amount of tape hiss picked up in each side, which would need encoding in stereo. If it's a CD remaster you're recording from, sometimes these have subtle artificial stereo ambience added, which also needs encoding in stereo. Headphones with a mono-stereo switch might reveal the difference.