Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ASIO How-To (Read 40285 times) previous topic - next topic

ASIO How-To

Hello,

As of the new foobar2000 version (0.9.1) there is an (separately downloadable) ASIO component. Unfortunately I do not know how to configure it to get it working. My soundcard is a Terratec Aureon 7.1 Universe which has ASIO drivers included. However, when I map the first two "Front"s to "Left" and "Right" I only hear buzzing noise when playing the test signal and\or playing an .mp3.

Now, tell me how I get this working, please.

Thank you in advance,

rotzbouw

ASIO How-To

Reply #1
It doesn't work.

ASIO How-To

Reply #2
it works for me and i use 0.9.1

this is how i done it:

in the "ASIO virtual devices" click "add new"
my "name" was ASIO4ALL v2 and "driver" was ASIO4ALL v2
you can test the signal for L and R - i get the buzzing noises too.
click ok
it should now be in the configuired asio virtual devices
and when you choose your output it should be there too.

hope that helps

ASIO How-To

Reply #3
hi
to devs: what's the use of releasing a component that won't work with a good deal of hq soundcards or requires asio4all? Otachan's plugin worked perfectly with 083 by itself.

ASIO How-To

Reply #4
[deleted]

ASIO How-To

Reply #5
"to users:" what's the use of complaining when you aren't offering any help to solve the issues?

What can i do? (Have M-Audio Delta AP 192)

I'm willing to test different versions.

ASIO How-To

Reply #6
Oh, I guess I'll just keep using DirectSound. However, if you need someone to test the component on the Terratec Aureon Universe, let me know.

ASIO How-To

Reply #7
Why do you really need asio if direct sound and kernel streaming both work perfectly well on that card?

On a side note, I am currently busy testing asio on that specific card and we'll see if Peter can sort out the asio issues with it.

ASIO How-To

Reply #8
I never stated I "really need it". I just wanted to try it and see if I hear any difference or something.

ASIO How-To

Reply #9
Can someone point me to a link that explains the basic differences inherent to kernel streaming and ASIO streaming please? I'm not sure I understand why they're necessarily better.

ASIO How-To

Reply #10
They are not. ASIO was basically intended for music production software that needs really low latencies. This  has no influence whatsoever on audio playback.

Direct sound should be perfectly adequate in case the soundcard drivers aren't seriously broken.

ASIO How-To

Reply #11
They are not. ASIO was basically intended for music production software that needs really low latencies. This  has no influence whatsoever on audio playback.

Direct sound should be perfectly adequate in case the soundcard drivers aren't seriously broken.

I have nvidia nforce2 mcp-t audio. Both kernel streaming and asio output work perfectly.
May I ask you what I should use best and why that is. I like to have my foobar2000 volume separate from the windows wave volume but that I have with both kernel and asio output.

ASIO How-To

Reply #12

I have nvidia nforce2 mcp-t audio. Both kernel streaming and asio output work perfectly.
May I ask you what I should use best and why that is. I like to have my foobar2000 volume separate from the windows wave volume but that I have with both kernel and asio output.

For nvidia soundstorm I would use kernel streaming, 32 bit. I have no problems with it. if you prefer, you can use asio, it won't make any difference. I just prefer the kernel streaming component. I should mention that in the older drivers for directsound_ex2 or whatever there was a checkbox that said "enable HW mixing". This checkbox allowed you to use directsound and bypass windows kmixer resampling. Now that it's gone i'm not sure its safe to use directsound without additional resampling issues. the nvidia hardware resamples to 48000 khz anyway.

ASIO How-To

Reply #13
using m-audio firewire audiophile with latest driver and i get no sound (not even on the test). however the visualizer seems to think it is working...
would be happy to test stuff.
"La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid."

ASIO How-To

Reply #14
[deleted]

ASIO How-To

Reply #15
There is a theoretical quality improvement with ASIO since it prevents the K-mixer from resampling. Don't know if anyone can actually hear the difference though.

ASIO How-To

Reply #16
[deleted]

ASIO How-To

Reply #17
I have placed the new foo_out_asio.dll in the components folder, the ASIO virtual devices is found under "Output" but I can't select ASIO as an output device. In the list I only have Null Output, Primary Sound Driver, Envy24 Family Audio (WDM) and nvy24 Family Audio (WDM) (KS).

Ideas anyone?

ASIO How-To

Reply #18
Have you actually configured a virtual device on the appropriate preferences page?

ASIO How-To

Reply #19
[deleted]

ASIO How-To

Reply #20
First, I'm perfectly happy with DS output on my m-audio revolution and have just been mucking around with ASIO output...
Can anyone explain to me why, if digital output is selected in the m-audio drivers settings, I can only configure analogue output in the ASIO virtual devices preferences page in fb2k? Is this simply a limitation of the m-audio drivers?

ASIO How-To

Reply #21
[deleted]

ASIO How-To

Reply #22
It works with M-Audio 5.1.  However, the number 5 and 6 channels are grouped together, as shown here:

(Click to enlarge)
How can I enable left/right channels on 5/6 channels?????  Thanks.

ASIO How-To

Reply #23
Works with M-Audio Delta Dio 2496. Since the Delta family shares the same driver, it should be working for all Delta cards.