Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to deal with songs that have the same name? (Read 724 times) previous topic - next topic

How to deal with songs that have the same name?

First post! Howdy all.
I'm having an issue with ripping cds that have songs with the same name. As an example, I have a bunch of blues cds and lots of those have songs that share a name, like "Stormy Monday". How do I deal with that, other than skipping the rip or replacing the first version?
I know I can change the name before the rip starts, but I don't always realize that I have a song with that name already.
Thanks for any help  

Re: How to deal with songs that have the same name?

Reply #1
Rip to separate album folders, I've done it that way the last 20 years. Or rip with the artist name in the file name.

Reply #2
I'll show my ignorance: how do I do either of those things?

Reply #3
I am presuming you are using FB2K for ripping? I've never used it for ripping (always used EAC), so can't give an exact work-flow, but there should be a place where you can add a command line that will tell the ripping to create separate folders based on CD/album, and what information to add to the folder names and filenames. For example, in EAC I have:

%albumartist% - %albumtitle%\%tracknr2% %title%

This tells it to make a folder with album artist - album title (e.g. Michael Jackson - Thriller), and in that folder rip all the tracks with their track number and title in the file name (e.g. 01 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin.wav) A lot of people also like to add the album name to the file name, and year of release to the folder, etc.

You need to know the correct syntax, the FB2K stuff is here:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Title_Formatting_Reference

And it presumes that you have already entered the meta-data for the CD, either manually, or via an online database.

Sounds a a bit complex but you only have to set it up it once, and I know in FB2K's "Convert" function, there are already lots of macros with the most commonly used strings.

Reply #4
Thanks for the help, guys. I got it figured out thanks to the info here.