Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Crash after file operations on ~50 or more files (Read 3559 times) previous topic - next topic

Crash after file operations on ~50 or more files

About in last half year foobar crashes during (really: after) next operations on ~50 or more files at once:
- renaming in foobar;
- deleting in foobar;
- deleting outside of foobar (for example, in Total Commander, or Mp3tag).

As it was listed as suspicious, I tried to remove dynamic range meter, but it has no effect.
I can not try delete/rename in safe mode, because file functions are not appearing in safe mode. But I could try delete files from library, outside of foobar (in TC): foobar, started in safe mode, did not crash, even if deleted 13 GB.

Configuration:
Win7x64hun
Core (2016-06-14 06:38:01 UTC)
    foobar2000 core 1.3.10
foo_albumlist.dll (2016-03-09 12:44:50 UTC)
    Album List 4.5
foo_benchmark.dll (2016-01-19 06:40:54 UTC)
    Decoding Speed Test 1.2.3
foo_bitcompare.dll (2016-01-19 06:37:02 UTC)
    Binary Comparator 2.0
foo_bpm.dll (2014-10-30 00:30:54 UTC)
    BPM Analyser 0.2.4.6
foo_cdda.dll (2016-03-25 10:58:00 UTC)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2016-03-09 12:44:30 UTC)
    Converter 1.5
foo_dsp_delta.dll (2008-10-24 14:57:16 UTC)
    Noise Sharpening DSP 1.0.0
foo_dsp_eq.dll (2016-03-09 12:44:52 UTC)
    Equalizer 1.0
foo_dsp_std.dll (2016-03-09 12:44:40 UTC)
    Standard DSP Array 1.3.1
foo_dynamic_range.dll (2016-06-14 14:56:08 UTC)
    Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
foo_facets.dll (2012-12-12 22:25:23 UTC)
    Facets 1.0
foo_fileops.dll (2016-03-09 12:42:52 UTC)
    File Operations 2.2.1
foo_freedb2.dll (2016-03-09 12:42:22 UTC)
    Online Tagger 0.7
foo_input_monkey.dll (2013-04-14 03:05:42 UTC)
    Monkey's Audio Decoder 2.1.7
foo_input_std.dll (2016-03-25 11:04:50 UTC)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_jesus.dll (2012-12-12 22:25:32 UTC)
    Autosave & Autobackup 10
foo_midi.dll (2016-05-12 16:59:26 UTC)
    MIDI synthesizer host 1.254
foo_playcount.dll (2012-12-12 22:29:14 UTC)
    Playback Statistics 3.0.2
foo_plorg.dll (2015-10-30 15:00:46 UTC)
    Playlist Organizer 2.6
foo_preview.dll (2016-01-30 19:51:30 UTC)
    Preview 1.4
foo_quicksearch.dll (2015-10-30 15:00:46 UTC)
    Quick Search Toolbar 3.6
foo_rg_trn.dll (2012-12-12 22:30:02 UTC)
    ReplayGain override 0.1.3
foo_rgscan.dll (2016-03-09 12:44:08 UTC)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.2.2
foo_run.dll (2012-12-12 22:30:06 UTC)
    Run services 0.3.7
foo_seek.dll (2016-05-23 06:30:11 UTC)
    Seek 1.2
foo_simplaylist.dll (2012-12-12 22:30:09 UTC)
    SimPlaylist 1.0
foo_texttools.dll (2015-06-16 17:50:11 UTC)
    Text Tools 1.0.5
foo_timebomb.dll (2012-12-12 22:30:11 UTC)
    Timebomb 0.0.2
foo_ui_std.dll (2016-03-25 11:04:50 UTC)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_uie_lyrics3.dll (2016-05-12 16:59:26 UTC)
    Lyric Show Panel 3 0.5
foo_uie_wsh_panel_mod.dll (2015-07-27 19:28:09 UTC)
    WSH Panel Mod 1.5.6
foo_unpack.dll (2016-03-25 10:58:24 UTC)
    ZIP/GZIP/RAR Reader 1.7.2
foo_verifier.dll (2014-10-30 00:30:54 UTC)
    File Integrity Verifier 1.1.2
foo_wave_seekbar.dll (2016-01-08 03:30:48 UTC)
    Waveform seekbar 0.2.45

Re: Crash after file operations on ~50 or more files

Reply #1
And you don't get a crash dialog from foobar2000 allowing to send the report for analysis? If foobar can't intercept it you may find the responsible dll's name in Windows Event Viewer by looking under Windows Logs -> Application.

The crashing has to happen with a component that cares about media library changes, like SimPlaylist, WSH Panel Mod or possibly Lyric Show Panel.

Reply #2
Case, thank you for your reply.
I can not send a report. My situation is exactly as written here: I have no this like crash-window. Sorry, the "is it something like this?" link is broken, so I do not know, what is it.

The only one, what I see after crash, an arrow: "see details", but they are not very informative: link between app and windows is broken, AppHangB1. No dll's name.

Event is same (IMO): Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I try remove one by one the plugins, you wrote about.

Reply #3
It won't be WSH panel mod because that version doesn't have any library functionality. Even newer versions or JScript panel are unlikely to crash foobar itself because all they do is send messages to each panel and even badly written code inside the panel is only likely to generate script errors and not bring down foobar entirely.

Reply #4
No one of those 3 plugins, and no wave seekbar. I trying away, removing plugins one by one.

Reply #5
Your report says it froze. You could follow the instructions from Appendix B too to try to find the culprit.

Reply #6
Removed all optional components. The problem persists. :(
Now I try your next proposal.

Reply #7
Only 2 lines are active in Threads window (before and after crash, too), both "foobar2000.exe+0x...". Here are all stacks.
foobar2000.exe+0x...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
gdiplus.dll
MMDevApi.dll
ntdll.dll

Reply #8
A new reply only for inform you, that I changed the previous. Now it is right.

Reply #9
That's certainly interesting. Could you give details how this happens? Are the files you are renaming or deleting in media library? What rename string and settings do you use. Does file format matter...

I ask because ability to reproduce the freeze may be very helpful in solving it. I have used file ops on thousands of files at once and I have never seen issues.

Reply #10
Are the files you are renaming or deleting in media library?
Yes. My library is D:\Zene (=Music). This structure did not change, since I use foobar (5 years).
What rename string and settings do you use. Does file format matter...
The sample for my tries today: 153 FLAC files in 6 folders (1,2,3...) in "D:\Mű\Zene\Mai őrző\_Több előadó\A mozidalok legjava\" parent folder. Deleting/renaming in foobar or TC: all freezes foobar. So the renaming string (IMO) is indifferent, but here it is:
"Újraírandó %filename%" (újraírandó means "must be rewritten"); "Rename" radio button; "Show output files" checkbox; file name format is "01. Sailor - Girls, girls, girls.flac". But, as I wrote, for last ~half year it happens often, when renaming/moving files in or out of foobar, more than ~50 files.

P.S.
Now I shall not here for some hours...

Reply #12
musicmusic
Thank you; but as I am not a foobar technician, I could not do anything with it. I even could not open that 60 MB dump file (I tried NirSoft dump viewer). What can be the next my step?

Reply #13
I think musicmusic's comment was for Peter.

Btw, I made "D:\Mű\Zene\Mai őrző\_Több előadó\A mozidalok legjava" directory here put the "D:\Mű\Zene" part in foobar's Media Library. I then copied 20 FLAC albums there and named them with just numbers from 1 to 20. I used the Delete from File Operations to remove 51-60 tracks at a time and even installed Total Commander and deleted tracks with it. I saw no issues. I replicated the test today and tried playing the files while deleting. Still no freezing issues, though deleting the playing tracks gave some interesting console messages.

Hopefully Peter can figure something out with just the debug info you have given so far and what musicmusic linked.

Reply #14
Case, thank you for explanation and help.

Meanwhile I did some tests, too, with interesting results.

Conditions:
1. Windows (7x64hunUltimate) in safe mode. But: later I repeated all test in normal mode - no difference.
2. For outside deletings, instead of Total Commander I used the built in windows Explorer. (May be, it is more common.)

Test:
As previous, at once renaming or deleting in foobar, or deleting in Explorer. Same folders, same 153 FLACs. The only difference: in TC there is an option "show all files in these subfolders", what is (as all other thousands of brilliant options) missing from windows Explorer. So, to have an option to delete more files at once in Explorer, too, I moved all files in subfolders 1,2,3... to parent folder "D:\Mű\Zene\Mai őrző\_Több előadó\A mozidalok legjava\".

Results:
1. Absolutely no difference, if to do file actions in or outside of foobar.
2. Playing with delete operation, I found the limiter quantity of files: 51files. Deleting 50 files in foobar: no problem. Deleting 51: freezes.
3. This 50/51 limit is exactly that limit, what foobar use to decide, display or not the second warning window. I mean: after clicking on "Delete" foobar every time ask me, am I sure about deleting files, till 50 files. If I try to delete 51 files, after first warning pops up the second: "You are about to delete 51 files. Are you sure?"
4. If delete outside of foobar, in windows Explorer, there is an interesting behavior, too. If I open the (last) directory, "A mozidalok legjava\", and select 51 FLAC files from total 153, foobar freezes after. But If I jump a level up, to "_Több előadó\" parent folder, select and delete the whole "A mozidalok legjava\" folder - foobar will not freeze.

In my opinion the third result shows, that the phenomen caused by some foobar's interior setting/process.

Reply #15
Sorry, it was just a general comment, not aimed at you as such.

Apparently hangs in that loop are triggered by the message queue hitting a limit on the number of posted messages. Unfortunately, working out what is in the message queue isn't that straightforward.

I looked again at @Zarggg's dump file. There are WinPatrol and RivaTuner Statistics Server DLLs loaded in his foobar2000 process. By some remote chance, do you have either of those installed?

Reply #16
I looked again at @Zarggg's dump file. There are WinPatrol and RivaTuner Statistics Server DLLs loaded in his foobar2000 process. By some remote chance, do you have either of those installed?
No, no one. And, as I wrote, foobar freezes in the safe mode of windows, too, when nothing such (not essential) is loaded.

By the way (as more info), in safe mode of windows I tried foobar with all plugins (listed in my first comment) loaded, because meanwhile I convert it back, to original state. The only one dll, that could not load in safe mode of windows, was the wave seekbar's one.

Reply #17
This and the other hang appear to be an issue with the main thread's message queue (limit 10,000 in XP+, no idea about 2000 or pre-NT) hitting its limit, and then getting called into a function that tries to push a message into the queue, repeatedly failing over to a 100ms sleep cycle indefinitely if the queue is full.

Reply #18
@incifinci

It is possible to find out what is in the message queue from a kernel dump file (at least for Windows 7). If you want (and there aren't any other ideas) I could give you instructions on how to create one and then I could take a look at it and see what I can find out about those 10,000 window messages. You would need somewhere to upload a large file (also bear in mind that it will some information about the current state of your computer).

Reply #19
@musicmusic

Thank you very much for explained steps in private. Sorry, I can not use them. The first step, to install the Debugging Tools for Windows, I already tried at your comment No. 11, without success. First, official microsoft's worker gave wrong info in a forum, where to find it. Next, on that official MS page was not written, how to install ONLY it, without other ones (SDK? if I remember it well) - I was must to search for this info again in other forums. Third, installation was not successful, because of warning: "first you must to setup our XYZ (I do not remember - .NET 4, may, be) program" - but I HAS it already...

So I returned to my 20 years old motto: my simple human life is not enough long for billgates' programs. I shall live with this bug of foobar (as there IS a workaround), and hope in change in some future new version.

Sorry for your time, and thank you and all others for the help. Have a nice day!

Reply #20
A news: I renamed 48 files in Mp3tag, and foobar hangs again. :(
(Written for future debugging/developing purposes.)

Reply #21
Hey our FOOBAR also crashes if you delete more then 50 files on Windows 7 Ultimate. So it must be related to FOOBAR
as I doubt we have the the same things.  But which and what I have not isolated yet, but your not the only one.

Its the PORTABLE version also.

Reply #22
The latest foobar2000 beta version contains some workarounds for the problem. Please update and report if the problem continues.

Reply #23
I just tried this in a Windows 7 VM with foobar2000 1.3.10, and it did not crash or freeze when either mass renaming or deleting over 350 FLAC files. Perhaps I need to add more virtual cores to the VM to see if it is a race condition.

Reply #24
After updating to latest beta, the problem for me is solved:)
The bug service is as brilliant, as the application itself. Thanks again to Peter and all developers.