Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 1.51 - Japanese diacritic text problem (Read 851 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 1.51 - Japanese diacritic text problem

There seems to be a problem rendering japanese diacritical marks. In the attached screenshot a song title ends with a japanese character with a diacritical mark (it looks like ゛). The topmost rendering ド is correct, the properties window title shows ト (diacritical mark missing), and the track title in the properties window shows ト ゛ (diacritical mark too far to the right).

Re: foobar2000 1.51 - Japanese diacritic text problem

Reply #1
I wouldn't know how either of those could be fixed, but I'm not the right person to ask anyway. At least for Properties title and editor, it may be down to your configured font settings for the Default UI. It uses fairly standard font rendering code, so either Windows has a bug, or foobar2000 needs special handling for diacritics across the board.

Reply #2
At least for Properties title and editor, it may be down to your configured font settings for the Default UI.

Thanks, based on your suggestion I'm looking into fonts. In Preferences/Fonts, all values are set to Segoe UI. The properties window has it's own font control, after changing it's value to Segoe UI I was able to make the properties window "track title" value match the playlist window.

The value in the title bar is still missing the diacritical mark completely, do you know where the font control for that is?

Also, I compared foobar to Notepad and they match so like you said if it is a bug it's at the Windows level.

Reply #3
From the screenshot, I can see your default windows font in Properties window is not rendered as clear type. You can check registery, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink, see how your default font registery key is performing.