Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Frank Klemm\'s mppdec-0.98g Win32 binaries (Read 6732 times) previous topic - next topic

Frank Klemm\'s mppdec-0.98g Win32 binaries

Reply #1
Hi,
I just started using MPC this week, and I have a question.

From your link, I d/l mppdec16 and mppdec32. I currently have mppdec_1_7_8c. What is the difference between these three, which should I use, and where should I put it?

tia

Reply #2
The mppdec 16/32 are Frank Klemm's decoders.  Basically it differs from the normal mpc decoder in that it is faster (quite a bit so with mmx, sse, and 3dnow compiled in), it is more accurate, more portable, uses less memory, can actually playback audio on its own, etc.  Streaming support will even be added soon.

The other main difference is that Frank's decoder will output to 16 bits or 32 bits (hence the different encoders) and that it supports a more advanced dithering method as well as ath shaped dithering (noise shaping).

As for where to put the decoder, it doesn't really matter, you can put it anywhere you like.

Reply #3
Well, Frank's mppdec is faster (more optimized) and has some special features (go to Frank's page to see).

If you don't have 32bit sound card (or dont wish to change the resolution by hand using sox etc.) you can use mppdec16.
Mppdec16 generates 16 bit wav(normal CD resolution) while mppdec32 generates 32bit wav file.

Basic functionality is just
mppdec16 Input.mpc Output.wav
or
mppdec32 Input.mpc Output32.wav

Check http://www.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/
for more.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #4
Thanks. I got my current MPC setup at MpegPlus.de, which uses a frontend already preconfigured for Dibrom's presets.

I'm no computer wiz so I need a frontend, and would like to try Frank Klemm's version. Is there a frontend for his version?

Reply #5
Thanks. I got my current MPC setup at MpegPlus.de, which uses a frontend already preconfigured for Dibrom's presets.

Hehe, I don't actually have any MPC presets, I just named the LAME presets I created after the MPC ones that already existed

I'm no computer wiz so I need a frontend, and would like to try Frank Klemm's version. Is there a frontend for his version?

I'm really not sure.  I don't think there is one specifically for this decoder, though it may be possible to get an existing one to work with it.  I'm not sure which one or how though since I have never tried.  Maybe someone else would know?

Reply #6
Umm, just to make things clear: Frank's mppdec is decoder which decodes mpc file to wav.

If you're talking about encoder, then there's no other encoder than the original mppenc, latest verision 1.7.9c.
Also the presets aren't Dibrom's, although those are named similarly.

But if you want to batch decode, just download decoder frontend: http://www.spueler.de/martin/mppdecfr.exe

I had some wierd errors trying to use Frank's decoder with this decoder frontend (I even renamed mppdec16.exe to mppdec.exe), but the decoder frontend works at least with the official decoder: just go to the Options-page and select the location of mppdec.exe.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #7
Okay, I got it.

Reply #8
[deleted]

Reply #9
I meant the difference between decode - encode...
And anyway even with playback, mppdec decodes the bitstream  internally to wav and directs it to the audio output.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #10
[deleted]

Reply #11
Is there any winamp plugin from frank´s decoder?

Reply #12
[deleted]

Reply #13
I believe I heard somewhere that Frank was going to be changing his decoder into a library.  That could make things very easy for use in a plugin, though it still wouldn't be too hard now even.  I'm hoping though that whenever a Winamp 3 plugin comes out, it is based on Frank's decoder.

Reply #14
I know Frank Klemm from the old days in the German audio and video newsgroups, he is a real expert in audio and signal processing generally, we had beautiful but hard discussions about the question whether human beings will notice signal content ( i avoid to use the word 'sound' ) in the frequency spectrum > 20 KHz, it was hard to discuss with him because his answers were so founded in both theory and practice, you had to be a real expert to keep up with him ( i wasn't, poor little FH engineer i was, BuHuHu ...  ) , so i constantly lost arguing against him ) !

Good to see he is still doing nice things for mankind !!