Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIFF tag editor (Read 15538 times) previous topic - next topic

AIFF tag editor

Hi all,

I use a NAS/Sono solution to feed my Naim Audio Hifi. I use AIFF files as I found these to be superior on my system to FLAC. I know the files are the same in bit terms but I think the Sonos has less processing to do with the AIFF files which accounts for the difference. It is noticeable, even my missus picked it up!!

The only problem is that I find it really difficult to edit tags on AIFF and have hundreds of albums that need the tags cleaning up. Can anyone suggest a quick and easier editor for the mac that will allow me to do it? Tag and Max don't work so I have to copy them to my laptop, add them to iTunes, make the changes and then copy back to the NAS and then clean up the files on the mac. It will take me months to do all the changes I need. Soundgrinder dosent work reliably ether as it dosent pick up the tags and the interface is terrible!

I have a PC as well and tried Foobar, DBpoweramp and loads of the rubbish smaller apps but none of them picked up the tags properly.

I am tied into AIFF now so reverting to FLAC isn't an option unfortunately.

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks,
Waz

AIFF tag editor

Reply #1
I know the files are the same in bit terms but I think the Sonos has less processing to do with the AIFF files which accounts for the difference. It is noticeable, even my missus picked it up!!

Please review our Terms of Service, specifically #8.

It is up to you to demonstrate to us that you and the missus can tell the difference between the two formats on your Sonos though a double-blind test so that we can rule out expectation bias and placebo effect.

AIFF tag editor

Reply #2
I know the files are the same in bit terms but I think the Sonos has less processing to do with the AIFF files which accounts for the difference. It is noticeable, even my missus picked it up!!

Please review our Terms of Service, specifically #8.

It is up to you to demonstrate to us that you and the missus can tell the difference between the two formats on your Sonos though a double-blind test so that we can rule out expectation bias and placebo effect.

Apologies, as you can see I am new!

Anyway, my point is that I would like a suggestion for an appropriate AIFF editor if anyone has any ideas? (I assume thats OK as the reason why is my own)

Thanks,
Wayne

AIFF tag editor

Reply #3
I don't know of any off-hand personally.  Most people here are going to tell you to use flac.  If I had a Sonos that's what I'd be using (if not, or in addition to any other supported format, including lossy).

AIFF tag editor

Reply #4
dBpoweramp will tag the AIFF file so that iTunes can read the tag (unicode, with album art).

AIFF tag editor

Reply #5
If you need more AIFF tagging features on Windows than iTunes can provide I can recommend J. River Media Center. AIFF and Wave tagging was recently added because of popular demand. I took part in beta testing when the feature was developed. The tags should be compatible at least with iTunes (AIFF) and dBpoweramp (AIFF & Wave). MC provides lots of useful mass-tagging tools and in addition a rich expression language: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Me...ession_language

The feature is disabled by default (the assumption is that many users want to preserve their uncompressed files fully unchanged), but it can be easily enabled in the program's plug-in manager. If AIFF/Wave tagging is not enabled MC maintains the tags only in its database.

In general, there may be other, actually valid reasons, to use AIFF or Wave than audio quality when compared with lossless. (As the creator of Monkey's Audio is the head developer at J. River I don't think anyone there believes that uncompressed would provide better quality.)

AIFF tag editor

Reply #6
Tag & Rename can handle tagging AIFF files, but note that it's a Windows-only program.

I agree with greynol above: I'm not convinced there's a real sound quality difference between lossless and AIFF (or WAV). Having said that, I haven't tried Sonos, so there may be an issue there. But there isn't on any recent-vintage Mac or Windows machine I've used as a server.

AIFF tag editor

Reply #7
I'm not convinced there's a real sound quality difference between lossless and AIFF (or WAV).

Nonsense. It's not a matter of you being "convinced" or not. There is no difference. That's the point of lossless audio.

AIFF tag editor

Reply #8
I'm not convinced there's a real sound quality difference between lossless and AIFF (or WAV).

Nonsense. It's not a matter of you being "convinced" or not. There is no difference. That's the point of lossless audio.

You're aboslutely right (unless one of the decoder or both are broken). You'd be surprised how many threads you can find on random audio forums along the line
of "<lossless codec A> sounds better than <lossless codec B>". It always provides a funny and entertaining read.

AIFF tag editor

Reply #10
I only have 2 questions:
Is any of these programs as simple as mp3tag? I usually copy/past manually from Discogs into fields or do batch conversions for tags
Is there a Windows program that can convert FLAC and/or ALAC straight into AIFF and keeping the original info from the tag?

Daniël