Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: -xtreme quality = transparent (Read 5108 times) previous topic - next topic

-xtreme quality = transparent

I use the -xtreme profile to encode all the cd´s I have , but is the -xtreme profile really transparent or can some people ear differences from the original .wav ? I´m getting very confused  because now I see guys claiming that with the -insane profile the music don´t sound like the original.:confused:

Reply #1
At this time, there is no such thing as transparent lossy compression. You will probably find artifacts if you look hard enough. If you want genuine transparency, go with lossless compression.

Reply #2
[deleted]

Reply #3
Originally posted by novocane
I use the -xtreme profile to encode all the cd´s I have , but is the -xtreme profile really transparent or can some people ear differences from the original .wav ?

I believe the -xtreme profile is usually transparent to the majority of people out there, probably even those with pretty sensitive hearing.  The best thing to do is perform a blind listening test for yourself and see.

I´m getting very confused  because now I see guys claiming that with the -insane profile the music don´t sound like the original.:confused: 

This was only one claim, and the conditions are still not entirely certain, nor am I aware of solid abx test results showing conclusively that this was the case.  You really shouldn't make a decision about quality based on only 1 account especially when you cannot validate it yourself.

Reply #4
I´m getting very confused  because now I see guys claiming that with the -insane profile the music don´t sound like the original.:confused: 

A high bitrate high quality test should always be several round iterative blind test (8 rounds is absolute minimum). Without blind ABX,ABC (or another iterative blind test setting) the result of an individual can be regarded as pure guesses -> zero value.

MPC has been on top in every blind listening test I have ever seen or attended.

After it's been confirmed you hear a difference, then you can start to speculate what is it you hear.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #5
But as anyone ever proved to ear a difference between a file encoded with the -xtreme profile and the original wav?

Reply #6
But as anyone ever proved to ear a difference between a file encoded with the -xtreme profile and the original wav?

Yes.  The point though isn't whether or not someone has ever heard a difference, what matters is that the percentage this happens vs in other formats at a similar bitrate is far, far lower.

No lossy codec is ever going to be perfect in an absolute sense.  There will always be someone, somewhere who will hear the difference on at least 1 clip.  The idea with lossy codecs is to make this happen as infrequently as possible, and MPC does accomplish this quite well, infact much better than many other codecs.

If it is absolute transparency in every possible situation that could ever arise is what you want, then you should be looking at lossless encoding instead.  Otherwise, MPC is probably about as good as you can get in a lossy codec, and the likelihood of it not being transparent to you in the vast majority of situations vs other codecs is fairly low.

Reply #7
thanks for clearing my ideas dibrom, I was falling in the wrong principle that mpc was almost perfect (you can´t ear no diferences) with the -xtreme profile, although I know that with a lossy format you always loss information.