Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How precise is crossconverting/joining lossless formats? (Read 4286 times) previous topic - next topic

How precise is crossconverting/joining lossless formats?

Hi,

sometimes I rip to image with tak and have the cuesheet embedded. Then later I decide to convert this to single files. Now a bit hypothetic: Then I may decide to re-encode, because the compression got better. Then I may decide to re-join all files. And this maybe again and again

The point is: If this is done with fb2k and of course no dsp in the converter chain, will the final result be exactly the same as the starting point? Especially in terms of adding or deleting minor portions of audio... How precise can I expect the encoders/decoders to be?

Thx.

Reply #1
The audio data will be fine.  The gap information in the CUE sheets may not fare as well.

Have you looked at Moitah's CUE Tools?
http://www.moitah.net/#CUETools
No MAC or TAK support, though.

Reply #2
The audio data will be fine.  The gap information in the CUE sheets may not fare as well.

Have you looked at Moitah's CUE Tools?
http://www.moitah.net/#CUETools
No MAC or TAK support, though.

I reckon it is able to cut and join on file basis rather than decode/re-encode? Anyway, it doesn't know tak, and it's not too important for me ... important is, the audio data will still be alright.-

Reply #3
It will be safe if you will do album transcoding, not track-by-track.
I.e. if you:
1) extract cuesheet;
2) kill embedded cuesheet;
3) transcode album image to another format;
4) add cuesheet to new file
- you wil be fine.

in other cases fb2k can kill gaps, AFAIK.

Reply #4
It will be safe if you will do album transcoding, not track-by-track.
I.e. if you:
1) extract cuesheet;
2) kill embedded cuesheet;
3) transcode album image to another format;
4) add cuesheet to new file
- you wil be fine.

in other cases fb2k can kill gaps, AFAIK.

Of course  But my question was about single files...

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021