Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: oggenc and UNC paths on Windows - is it possible? (Read 10792 times) previous topic - next topic

oggenc and UNC paths on Windows - is it possible?

Hi there,

I have been looking for info about this, but haven't found anything. I'm trying to use oggenc (and oggenc2, from rarewares) to encode a file with an output path using a UNC filename, and I always get an error telling me:

Couldn't create directory "\\ServerTS": Invalid argument
ERROR: Could not create required subdirectories for output filename "\\ServerTS\Rodrigo\Temp\test.ogg"

The host, share and folder exist, and are available to this client. I have rights to write and anything on that resource. It doesn't matter if it's localhost, an IP or the machine name, it always tells me that it can't create the directory.

Other programs, like flac.exe work without problems.

Is it possible to use UNC paths with oggenc? I have tryed almost anything I can think of but no luck yet :-(

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

Reply #1
6 years later and this problem still exists. Is there no way to overcome the problem with UNC paths in oggEnc? Other than modifying the source and recompiling (something I would strongly prefer not to)

Reply #2
You can output to standard output and redirect that to desired location. For example oggenc2 input.wav -o - > \\ServerTS\Rodrigo\Temp\test.ogg.

Reply #3
6 years later and this problem still exists. Is there no way to overcome the problem with UNC paths in oggEnc? Other than modifying the source and recompiling (something I would strongly prefer not to)

I think thats a windows problem, not oggenc.  UNC paths are not fully supported from the command line.  E.g. "cd \\path\to\share" also fails.  Or at least it does on windows 7.

Reply #5
This is not a Windows problem. Oggenc has manually written special code in function create_directories which is designed to only work with local file paths. It's a bug in the program and that's it. Remove the function, fix the bug or workaround it by not letting oggenc run the bugged code and everything works fine.

Reply #6
http://superuser.com/questions/282963/can-...t-mapping-it-to

Either use PowerShell, pushd/popd or a third-party tool, but oggenc, any other CLI-program, can't do an awful lot to bypass this restriction of Windows.

That's not fully correct. You cannot make an UNC path current dir in CMD.EXE, but it can list files and everything else.

Code: [Select]
LAME 3.100 (alpha 2, Jan 28 2014 14:56:08) 32bits (http://lame.sf.net)
warning: alpha versions should be used for testing only
CPU features: SSE (ASM used), SSE2 (ASM used)
polyphase lowpass filter disabled
Encoding E:\CD\Eroc\1986-Changing Skies\06 Space Shuffle.wav
      to \\krypto\starc-test\cache\test.mp3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III VBR(q=0)
    Frame          |  CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU |    ETA
  9710/9710  (100%)|    0:15/    0:15|    0:15/    0:15|   16.163x|    0:00
Writing LAME Tag...done
ReplayGain: -1.1dB

LAME works quite well with UNC paths.