Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LA (Read 4855 times) previous topic - next topic

LA

I cannot search cause it is only 2 letters so maybe it is discussed before..
but what is this and did anybody used it in any way ?

http://www.lossless-audio.com/index.htm
Dimitris

LA

Reply #2
im alittle unsure of what your question is, but this will probably help you.  for a while i used la to back up my music because it is the most highly compressed lossless format, and i was working w/ very limited hdd space.  now that i have a spacey external hd, i have alittle more freedom with what i use, and so now i use something much more functional, wavpack! 

edit: you beat me to it jan s. 
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

LA

Reply #3
When I first started looking at lossless audio I soon looked at LA, due to it's superior compression.

However, call me fickle, but I mainly stayed away from it purely due to the lack of interest it appeared to cause at Hydrogen Audio.

I don't think it should ever be discounted though - simply as it does produce such high compression rates (according to the various tests/charts).
I'm on a horse.

LA

Reply #4
Software support is awful, libraries are reported to be heavily buggy, library interface is poorly designed and cripples player features (no unicode or file reading callbacks), stuff like this happens, developer is "not keen on" improving his codebase (quoting sourcecode comment).
I'd rather use a bit more harddrive space than be forced to deal with the above.
We are the bork. Your software bugs will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

LA

Reply #5
Anyone knows if LA is currently developed ?
The last version is dated 8th Feb 2004 and Michael Bevin's last post here was in October.
WavPack 4.3 -mfx5
LAME 3.97 -V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensitivity 1

LA

Reply #6
Anyone knows if LA is currently developed ?
The last version is dated 8th Feb 2004 and Michael Bevin's last post here was in October.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292673"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He didn't even answer our mails regarding development of an add-on for the BASS library. We managed to get it working without him, though - sort of.

LA

Reply #7
According to my own experience, the difference in compression ratio between la (high compression, noseek) and Monkey (insane) is very little, only ~0,5% and never reaches 1%. Speed is about the same.
The new LA frontend needed a windows redistributable on my system when I installed it. It made the whole system slow and unstable.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

LA

Reply #8
For those who maximum compression are the most important feature in a lossless codec, or in those situations where that's your main goal, I guess OptimFROG could be a good choice. It compresses almost as good as LA, are just almost as slow, but have none of the other negative aspects that are piling up against LA (except not being open source that one either...well, well...  ) OptimFROG seems to be good code and has a resonable amount of features, so you don't have to enter that buggy hell that seems to be the current state of LA, just for the sake of a few kilobytes disksaving...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021