Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC/LAME help for a beginner (Read 6174 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC/LAME help for a beginner

Hi, I'm completely new to both EAC and LAME.  I just bought an iAUDIO M3 and I've been messing around with the included JetAudio software and found that I like either OGG at 192 vbr or 256 vbr depending on the track.  I pretty much like the sound quality of OGG and the battery life of MP3s, so I'm trying to see if EAC/LAME MP3 can give me a nice compromise of sound quality and battery life.  The only problem is that I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing so far.......I've downloaded EAC-095pb5 and LAME 3.96.1, but I'm having trouble getting started.  Within the setup wizard, it asks if I would like to use LAME standard settings or the reccomended settings, so which do I pick?  The standard settings list two sets of EAC MP3 configurations that run up to 320kbp cbr and 192vbr, while the reccomended settings just leave a random list of uncategorized (no cbr or vbr indication) bitrates that go up to 320vbr.  This has me extremely confused.  Then there's the command line window for each option, the standard setting has a blank command line window, while the reccomended setting has " %l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %d " already typed into the command line window from the get go.  Does typing in a command automatically override the bitrate check box listed below?  How does all of this work?  I'm really really confused here......can somebody please tell me what I need to do in order to use the 192vbr "alt preset standard" and  256vbr "alt preset extreme" settings that I've read so much about?  And is there any other codes that I have to type in to enable things like ID3 tag support?  Can somebody explain what I need to do and also type out an example of the command that I would need to use for this? Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Hi there, welcome to the forum but in the future would you mind paragraphing a bit? Makes long posts a little easier to read.
I've downloaded EAC-095pb5 and LAME 3.96.1, but I'm having trouble getting started. Within the setup wizard, it asks if I would like to use LAME standard settings or the reccomended settings, so which do I pick?

Did you have a look at the FAQ in this forum? Its got a section about EAC and good tutorials in it.
Does typing in a command automatically override the bitrate check box listed below?  How does all of this work? 

That bitrate box has to do with the approximate size column in EAC, not the atucal bitrate.
I'm really really confused here......can somebody please tell me what I need to do in order to use the 192vbr "alt preset standard" and  256vbr "alt preset extreme" settings that I've read so much about?  And is there any other codes that I have to type in to enable things like ID3 tag support?  Can somebody explain what I need to do and also type out an example of the command that I would need to use for this? Thanks in advance.

Those tutorials in the FAQ can explain all this very well, i strongly recommend checking them out.

Reply #2
And somehow I completely missed that FAQ, lol.  Thanks, and that definately answered a lot of my questions, but I have one last question in general:  Is the following command line just for preset standard+ID3 tags? "  --alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d  "  Does it alter any other setting after the id3 tag part? And if that command line is correct, I would just sub-out "--alt preset standard" with "--alt preset extreme" to generally increase to a 250ish vbr rate, right?  Thanks again.

Reply #3
Is the following command line just for preset standard+ID3 tags? "  --alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d  "  Does it alter any other setting after the id3 tag part?

Yes, it's just for the tags, except for the " %s %d " (EAC uses that bit...)

And if that command line is correct, I would just sub-out "--alt preset standard" with "--alt preset extreme" to generally increase to a 250ish vbr rate, right? Thanks again.

That's correct, or you can substitute -V 0 for "-alt preset extreme" -- same difference.

Handy VBR chart

Reply #4
I think I'm officially the local idiot around here.....I think I have everything set up correctly, but when I tried to rip my cd to mp3, it just created a WAV file instead.  I can't seem to figure out what went wrong, and nothing that I've tried seems to be converting the file to LAME/MP3.  Any ideas of what happend or what I did wrong?

Reply #5
Did you set the "parameter passing scheme" in EAC->Compression Options-> External Compression to 'user defined encoder' ?
And don't forget to uncheck 'add id3 tag' in the same tag, if you are using your long commandline

Reply #6
........and I didn't have either of those two options set correctly  .  I had LAME selected under the parameter passing scheme, and then I also had the ID3 tag option selected.  If I left the EAC ID3 tag option selected, would that eliminate the need for me to use the tag code?

Reply #7
^^ Yes.

Reply #8
So I would just check the ID3 tag box and then type " " --alt-preset standard --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d " as the command line?

Reply #9
No. If you want to use your commandline, uncheck "add id3 tag", because EAC sets tags. If you check "add id3 tag" you should use --alt-preset extreme %s %d

Reply #10
I think I'm officially the local idiot around here.....I think I have everything set up correctly, but when I tried to rip my cd to mp3, it just created a WAV file instead.  I can't seem to figure out what went wrong, and nothing that I've tried seems to be converting the file to LAME/MP3.  Any ideas of what happend or what I did wrong?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280886"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are not the only idiot around here.  I tried for over 4 days to make it work, and finally succeeded.    This EAC, LAME, Monkey Audio, FLAC are great stuff, but there is not much good beginner instructions.  It is a steep learning curve.  I almost gave up and go with musicmatch.

I just discovered last night that I cannot add on cover art to Monkey Audio or FLAC tags, which means I have to use LAME.  Can anyone confirm for me if I am right, that only the id3v2 tags can accept cover arts?

Reply #11
Just wondering, but what does the "%s %d" in " --alt-preset extreme %s %d " do anyway?  Do I need that in the command line too, or could I just type " --alt-preset extreme " ???

Reply #12
Now what's the use of the %s and %d parameters in the command lines? They were not present in older versions of EAC and are nowhere described in the LAME manual. The %s and %d stand for source and destination file respectively. Since we use the User Defined Encoder Parameter passing scheme in EAC instead of the LAME MP Encoder, it's necessary for EAC to know where LAME accepts the source and destination file in the command line. If you select LAME MP Encoder from the Parameter passing scheme dropdown box you may omit the %s and %d.

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm

Reply #13
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are not the only idiot around here.  I tried for over 4 days to make it work, and finally succeeded.    This EAC, LAME, Monkey Audio, FLAC are great stuff, but there is not much good beginner instructions.  It is a steep learning curve.  I almost gave up and go with musicmatch.

Actually there's several rather good beginner's guides for EAC/LAME. Chris Myden's even includes  profiles you can load that basically 'sets up' EAC for you
These tutorial pages are listed on the EAC site's 'Links' page (or on the pages they take you to)

[a href="http://users.pandora.be/satcp/]http://users.pandora.be/satcp/[/url]
http://home-12.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm54044/
http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php...E&file=painless

This one comes up of you google 'EAC tutorial'
http://terrarum.net/rtsr/eac/eac0.html