Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which codec for complete archiving? (Read 2388 times) previous topic - next topic

Which codec for complete archiving?

I have a few albums I want to archive losslessly. I want to be able to later blow them back out into a audio CD, and have the information required for freeDB queries to work right on those CDs. What, if any, lossless codec(s) can do this, as I haven't been able to find any concrete info?

Reply #1
I have a few albums I want to archive losslessly. I want to be able to later blow them back out into a audio CD, and have the information required for freeDB queries to work right on those CDs. What, if any, lossless codec(s) can do this, as I haven't been able to find any concrete info?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238820"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FLAC, Wavpack, Monkey's Audio, to name a few.
flac>fb2k>kernel streaming>audiophile 2496>magni>dt990 pro

Reply #2
Ah. So maybe I haven't seen anything because it is implicitly understood that they can do it? So let's say I use FLAC...how I get from EAC's rip of X amount of WAV files into a set of FLAC files, at least one of which would have the necessary info? I can see just making one big file from ripping an image in EAC and having the cue sheet handy, and giving it the path, but HDD space is getting low as it is--multiple file archives for a single album seem a bit much.
I'd like to be able to rip and encode each track, but be able to then create a CD copy (that works for freeDB/CDDB) with that. That's what I cannot find.

Reply #3
Burn them with the gaps set to 0 seconds and FreeDB queries will work perfectly.

You can even do queries without burning; you can use foobar2000's foo_freedb plugin to select playlist items, and launch a query.

Reply #4
OK, off to try the gaps at 0...

edit: heh, now I'm having trouble w/ EAC freezing during start on CDs that are not in the local freeDB db...this aught to be interesting...

update: looks like it is time to reinstall Windows. On this alternate install, all works well.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021