Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I need help with a HP 7200 (Read 5428 times) previous topic - next topic

I need help with a HP 7200

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm Juan, from Argentina.
A friend recommended me this site, and I was looking for help about this:
I borrowed from a friend an old HP 7200 and as soon as I connected it my Win XP Pro recognized it (as HP CD Writer+ 7200). The issue is that Windows recognizes it as a CD reader, but not a CD writer. I mean, I can run audio or data CDs there, but I cannot burn a thing, as no burning program tells there's a CD writer connected.
Does anyone have a clue about what is happening here? ???
I need to solve this problem in order to burn some stuff quickly (HD space running out  )
Thanx in advance, people, hope to hear from you soon

Reply #1
Google gives me this: http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/22752.html

Hi Rene!
I had the same Problem with the HP7200e
I needed the WinXP_LPT_Driver.exe for it. You can download the file at:
http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads11/26321.html
If the download does not work, go to Driverguide.com, login with name: "Drivers" Password: "all" and navigate to the HP site.
Hope this will work, it worked for me. There is also an instruction file how to install.
Peter

Hope this helps.

Reply #2
Oh, sorry, I forgot a detail: It's HP 7200i (Internal) 
Thanx Gecko anyway

Reply #3
One thing about the HP 7200 - I had one of these several years ago, and unless I am mistaken, they have a real problem with 80 min. media. When you try to close a session on a 80 min. CD, the drive locks up, even if you have less than 74 min. of material on the disk.

So I hope you have a source of 74 min. CD-R's.

Reply #4
they have a real problem with 80 min. media. When you try to close a session on a 80 min. CD, the drive locks up, even if you have less than 74 min. of material on the disk. 

In fact the whole HP series of writers is disappointing. I had a HP 8200i and it blew up after a year or so. One fine day I put on my computer and the BIOS just wouldnt recognize it. It was beyond repair. I had to trash it  :mad:
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #5
they have a real problem with 80 min. media

In fact they don't recognize 80' media... Only 74'... I read that @ HP's website (bad site by the way :mad: )

But i still cannot make Windows recognize it as a cd-recorder

Reply #6
I had this 7200i working here with W2k.
I do not know about XP has build in support but for me the drive was recognized by Ahead Nero.

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #7
I have an HP CD-Writer+ 7200e. As a matter of fact the internal and external version are identical: the 7200e is simply a 7200i fitted into an external box with an ATAPI parallel port interface.

If you can fit it internally do it, it works much better (when using the parallel port you get 100% CPU usage, and a simple mouse movement or keyboard press is enough to cause a buffer underrun. Internally on my P4 2.0a I never get any buffer underrun even doing other intensive stuff.

WinXP does not support it as a CD-Writer out of the box, but I can't imagine anyone who would only use WinXP for CD-Burning.

WinOnCD 3.7 supports it.

When Roxio acquired CeQuadrat they broke the driver support in WinOnCD 3.8 (just use a copy of the old driver).

WinOnCD 5.0 supports it.

I never had any luck with Ahead Nero (even though it claimed to support it).

And I would not touch Easy CD Creator with a barge pole

Reply #8
Well, I only tried with Nero, but it crashes as soon it is starting 
I even tried, in an act of desperation, to burn a CD with WMP, but no cd recorder recognized either...
Well, I'll try WinOnCD... any idea where to get it? ???
Thanx a lot to all of you guys...

Reply #10
Hi David, good to see ya around 
Well, at last Nero is working, and I'm burning some backups in cd-rw... 
Cheers

Reply #11
It should not be difficult to find WinOnCD 5.0 Power Edition, try a Google search. If you cannot find any downloadable site, you can get it from the edonkey network )download the client at http://www.edonkey2000.com/).

Shame on Roxio/CeQuadrat for not making a trial version available.