Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 648596 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #500
But just pretend that they would change to 3.97. Which command line do you think that they would use then?
The 3.97 version would be -V2 --vbr-new. And it is not pretend. 3.97b2 is the recommended version.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #501
The 3.97 version would be -V2 --vbr-new. And it is not pretend. 3.97b2 is the recommended version.

Regards,
Madrigal
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363823"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That´s what I use...but why are my rips 2-3 Mb lower/track then the "mp3-scene rippers" when I rip the same cd? 

Reply #502

Regards,
Madrigal
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363823"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That´s what I use...but why are my rips 2-3 Mb lower/track then the "mp3-scene rippers" when I rip the same cd? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364490"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's due to the fact that most "scene rippers" aren't exactly up-to-date in the encoding department.  I've seen release stuff floating around that is still LAME 3.88 or 3.89 @ 192 kbps CBR, using Audiograbber as the ripping utility.

- h.

Reply #503
Ah okej. Then I don't have to worry anymore. Thanks for your answers!

Reply #504
Can anyone give me the command lines for --preset standard (170-210 VBR)..

And what setting gets you the best results (Closest u can get to the original copy)

Sorry I'm new to this.. 

Pls help

Reply #505
Can anyone give me the command lines for --preset standard (170-210 VBR)..

Code: [Select]
lame --preset standard input.wav output.mp3

Reply #506

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368001"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanx for the feedback

I'm currently using this setting..
-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

I cannot just paste your coding 'lame --preset standard input.wav output.mp3' in EAC & expect it to work right.?

so can you give your setting like the above one?... so that I could just paste it in EAC and start ripping...

Thank you

Reply #507

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368001"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanx for the feedback

I'm currently using this setting..
-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

I cannot just paste your coding 'lame --preset standard input.wav output.mp3' in EAC & expect it to work right.?

so can you give your setting like the above one?... so that I could just paste it in EAC and start ripping...

Thank you
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368003"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

-V 2 is the equivalent to --preset standard with the presently recommended LAME version, -V 2 --vbr-new corresponds to --preset fast standard, quality should be the same if not better but compression is way fastewr, anyway it's a long story and not everybody agrees on it, so you'd better perform some searches.

Check out the EAC guide in my sig too.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #508
Thank you for all the help

Reply #509
I've been using -V2 for my full-CD-length mixes and am pretty happy with it.  I might try -V2 --vbr-new to save a few minutes.

Reply #510
I don't understand the presets. With the old presets in CDex it showed APS as being 128-320kbps VBR. Now it says that APS is 170-210kbps. Surely that results in a lower quality file since the bitate is limited to below 210kbps. Can someone explain this?

Also, in CDex, there's a VBR quality option, which I always set to 0, where does the VBR quality fit in to the presets?

Reply #511
That's just a difference in notation.  170-210kbps isn't what its limits are but rather are what its bitrates tend to average into.  The old CDex notation just showed the min and max frame sizes.  3.97b2 uses the full range of available bitrates and isn't hard limited at 128kbps for -V2.

I've never used CDex but VBR quality is either the -V number or the -q number.  Someone with more knowledge would have to answer more.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #512
It's usually the -q number, or defaulted to either -h or -f.
I think it's the same case when you use winLAME.

Reply #513
could anybody to me a favour and decode/translate -V 2 --vbr-new into LAME switches?

Reply #514
-V2 and --vbr-new, that's it.

Reply #515
could anybody to me a favour and decode/translate -V 2 --vbr-new into LAME switches?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371192"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

usage: lame [options] <infile> [outfile]

VBR options:
    --vbr-new      use new variable bitrate (VBR) routine

-V n            quality setting for VBR.  default n=4
                    0=high quality,bigger files. 9=smaller files

The only reason i can see you making this question is that you're too used to custom commandlines.
Really, in the general case, it is not needed, and when it is, generally depends on the sample so it's not a "do it all" setting.

Reply #516
I think, you didn't understand my question :-))

in the past, the "--alt-preset" switches had a translation like "-h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93" for example

Reply #517
I think, you didn't understand my question :-))

in the past, the "--alt-preset" switches had a translation like "-h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93" for example
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371273"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It was already in 3.90.3 that for instance --alt-preset standard was not mapped to some complicated mixture of options but had a meaning of its own not reproducable by external switches.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #518
I'm a newbie to this forum, I hope you can help me with my problem, I'm still encoding my mp3's to 128kbps because high encoding can fill up my HDD easily. Is there any recommendations or switches to maintain the quality of my mp3's bearing the bitrate of 128 kbps?

hope you can help me. thanks. 

Reply #519
I'm a newbie to this forum, I hope you can help me with my problem, I'm still encoding my mp3's to 128kbps because high encoding can fill up my HDD easily. Is there any recommendations or switches to maintain the quality of my mp3's bearing the bitrate of 128 kbps?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi and welcome. The first post of this thread links to a list of recommended settings for the whole bitrate-range: [a href="http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME]http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME[/url]
You can find a setting you can use there.

Reply #520
How was the "Quality to File Size" chart found within LAME's wiki page derived?

I also ask, in advance, that someone please add my question's answer to the wiki. Without it, many intelligent viewers may easily ignore the chart (like I have). I think this would be a a tragic outcome if the authors of the chart and/or it's supporting research put any effort into their work.

Reply #521

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi and welcome. The first post of this thread links to a list of recommended settings for the whole bitrate-range: [a href="http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME]http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME[/url]
You can find a setting you can use there.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373815"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, i'm reading it now.

Reply #522

I also ask, in advance, that someone please add my question's answer to the wiki. Without it, many intelligent viewers may easily ignore the chart (like I have). I think this would be a a tragic outcome if the authors of the chart and/or it's supporting research put any effort into their work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374034"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have an account on wikipedia.org, but anyone who does can update the definition.  I agree that the chart you linked to is very useful, as long as however "quality" is measured on the y-axis is accurate.

Reply #523

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374034"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have an account on wikipedia.org, but anyone who does can update the definition.  I agree that the chart you linked to is very useful, as long as however "quality" is measured on the y-axis is accurate.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375486"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not wikipedia.org but hydrogenaudio's own wiki.

Reply #524
Hi people! I just want to ask you what does --ns-bass x and --ns-treble x mean?
And - maybe it will sound silly on this forum - what are psy-tunes?