Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mpc smaller than mp3 ? (Read 4350 times) previous topic - next topic

mpc smaller than mp3 ?

hi.

i just wanted to test mpc (or mpegplus?) encoder for the 1st time and i was really schocked...

i encoded one ambient track (not hard to encode IMO) using LAME --dm-xtreme and mppenc also -xtreme.

mppenc was not only faster, but also produced a smaller file (261 kbit mp3 vs 198 kbit mpc). :ponder: the quality seems to be quite similar.

the only thing i can't understand is why everybody talks 'bout higher mpc bitrates (and larger files), while i got different results?

i've encoded 3 different tracks so far and mpc files were always smaller.

thnx for any answer.

mpc smaller than mp3 ?

Reply #1
Originally posted by seaeye
hi.

i just wanted to test mpc (or mpegplus?) encoder for the 1st time and i was really schocked...

i encoded one ambient track (not hard to encode IMO) using LAME --dm-xtreme and mppenc also -xtreme.

mppenc was not only faster, but also produced a smaller file (261 kbit mp3 vs 198 kbit mpc). :ponder: the quality seems to be quite similar.

the only thing i can't understand is why everybody talks 'bout higher mpc bitrates (and larger files), while i got different results?

i've encoded 3 different tracks so far and mpc files were always smaller.

thnx for any answer.

What people are talking about is the fact that MP3 was developed for bitrates around 128kbps, while MPC was developed for bitrates around 170kbps.

The -xtreme settings of the two codecs are not comparable either, as they do totally different things.

--
GCP

mpc smaller than mp3 ?

Reply #2
it was a FAST answer.

thnx.

mpc smaller than mp3 ?

Reply #3
As Garf said, mp3 was generally designed for bitrates around 128kbps while MPC was designed for higher bitrates.  Interestingly enough, MPC still does outperform MP3 at 128kbps though.

One of the other things not often mentioned is that MPC does actually produce smaller sizes relative to quality.  To get the same quality with MP3 as you would with say an MPC at around 180-200kbps, you would probably have to go to 256-320kbps most likely, and even then in some cases would never get the same level of quality.  Also, with any decent VBR line such as --r3mix or --dm-preset standard, you are going to be getting bitrates at least as high as you would with the MPC presets, if not higher.

mpc smaller than mp3 ?

Reply #4
conclusion - after several years of using mp3 format (almost from the very beginning) i'm going to switch to mpc.

say goodbye to the good, old mp3