Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yalac: Suggestions for an Alternative Name (Read 65122 times) previous topic - next topic

Yalac: Suggestions for an Alternative Name

Reply #50
SAC

Superior Audio Compression

sounds funny 

Reply #51
NULL

Null: Ultimate LossLess

too arrogant ?...  nah.

- - - - -

LaF

Lost and Found

Upon compression, bits disappear. Upon decompression, they magically reappear!

Good luck!

Reply #52
Honestly YALAC sound's great. The name is witty and has sticking power. Who care's if it sounds like Apple's Loseless codec. Most people who use it will know the difference. On the other hand if this codec is addded to the flac library that would be the best.

Reply #53
Personally I think acronyms and initialisms are overused and geeky, especially ones in the "Yet Another 'Yet Another' Name" category.

The only names I can think of right now are Crystalline, AudioLattice, Kiite ("listen" in Japanese), Durova ([dɯɾʌbwa] is "listen" in Korean), and Llewella (a female Welsh name with llots of ells; maybe it could be nice for llosslless?).

Reply #54
Honestly YALAC sound's great. The name is witty and has sticking power. Who care's if it sounds like Apple's Loseless codec. Most people who use it will know the difference.
When written it's not too much of an issue, although, if YALAC becomes very popular I can image the written response "ALAC? Do you mean YALAC?".  When spoken, it could be more confusing.  I would just ask: why go anywhere near that problem?

Oh, and IMHO it is not witty.  I agree with kjoonlee: This type of acronym is way overused.

Personally I think acronyms and initialisms are overused and geeky, especially ones in the "Yet Another 'Yet Another' Name" category.
Unless a relevant acronym raises its head, I agree that a noun or compound is the best way to go.  When I say "relevant" I mean pertinent to Yalac, e.g.:  SCUDS: "Superb Compression with Unbelievable Decompression Speed".
I'm on a horse.

Reply #55
Gah, no wonder Intel & AMD paid 3rd parties millions & millions of goobers just to find a good name for their processors... although in Intel's case the name is, well, dead in the water. Save for Celeron. AMD guys have all the cool-sounding names

I'm all for the idea of NOT using another acronym... ever heard the acronym PCMCIA? People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms.

I think we have to go either the way of the crystal substances... most precious crystals are formed under great compression which accounts for their rareness (well, also great heat, but that's another story).

Or, we may go to the way of great composers. Preferably those composers known to have perfect pitch, e.g. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, etc.

Then later on we can squabble on the extension

Reply #56
I really appreciate your creative effort!

Please go on!

I don't answer frequently to this issue, because i am working on my code. But i am always reading the posts.

My own preferences:

- YALAC would be ok, if i wouldn't be afraid of legal issues (trademarks).

- Acronyms are not necessary. I like for instance Shorten, WavPack and Monkey's audio. Terms which describe the function of the software or names of things i like (you surely can't know).

- What i really don't like is: Worlds best... Worlds fastest and so on. Even if it was true, things can change so fast. Tomorrow there may be some faster compressor. But the attributes speedy, fast and so on would be ok.

Thomas

Reply #57
How about something like 'Mach' then? It has speed, it has sound, it even has compression. 

Perhaps the only thing against it is the sound of the name itself. 

I am a huge fan of monosyllabic names though.
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #60
Ah, darnit. I had the whole thing figured out already.

Instead of using the normal presets for compression speed (--fast, --slow), one could have used --mach 1, --mach 2, etc. Would have been kinda neat.
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #61
Obsidian
Obsidian is a type of naturally occurring glass, produced from volcanoes when a fluid felsic lava cools rapidly and freezes

"WavPack" is looking more and more clever every day...

I might have to change my mind about the noun actually.  I just remembered that many files are referred to by their extension/acronym/initialism (e.g.: MP3 or FLAC).  Tying the name and extension together makes a lot of sense.

Obsidian is a little poncy, but I like the "glass" transparency reference (though Obsidian itself is not clear), and "cools rapidly and freezes" metaphor.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #62
How about Beck's Audio Archiver?

Or maybe Halcyon?

Reply #65
Some more acronyms.

TBEC (Thomas Becks Experimental Codec)
TBPAK
TBAA
TBAC

Reply #66
How about TULAC The User's Lossless Audio Codec.
It was just a quick thought before I go out for a pint down the boozer
Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace. (Oscar Wilde)

Doktor Lorenz

Reply #67
How about Beck's Audio Archiver?

Sounds like a sheep to me.
Ba~a'...ba~a'...

Or maybe Halcyon?

Halcyon...?

Anyway, YALAC already stuck in my head for TBeck's (amazing) encoder.
And if it has to be Obsidian, don't make its extension .obs or people'd start thinking it's short for Obese.

How about Sled?
Simply a lossless encoder.
Well, it does 'sled' through decoding time.
I was thinking Archer (short for Audio archiver), but that's BS' speedy Vorbis encoder's name.

Or probably Zwip?
Not an acronym, but it's kinda like a Zip format (lossless compression) for Wave files.
Could be WavZip, but it'd seem like a WavPack ripoff.
And it's easier for people to say something like, "Yeah, I've just Zwipped my entire audio collection...", and so on.
More practical, I think.

Btw, if YALAC compression technique is really going to be incorporated to FLAC, then I don't think we need to think of a name.
Unless, of course, if YALAC would still remain as a standalone encoder, but then it'd be a moot point since FLAC'd have YALAC advantages and already has a strong support and publicity.
Well, that's only a 'what if'...don't take it too seriously.

Reply #68
Zwip sounds catchy. It can also be used as file extension. Though perhaps it should be called Zwip Audio to avoid confusion with this other ZWIP.

Reply #69
Calia is just a name that sprang to mind.

*.cla?
</signature>

Reply #70
Agreed Zwip sounds good. It sound's fast.

Reply #71
Hey I like that... Zwip... sounds catchy, just like AMD processors.

Finally a nice name that is not Yet Another Acronym...

Extension could be just that: .zwip

Reply #72
Some people actually agree with my out-of-the-blue suggestion.

Well, I just wondered how an archiver format like Zip became a verb in everyday (IT-related) talks.
Let's just hope those bastards from Infima won't try to get their hands on TBeck's encoder next & claim it as their "innovation".

Reply #73
Zwip... i think it's a little tough to pronounce.  Also, I'm kind of a fan of three letter extensions, because some legacy software (notably EAC) seems to have problems with two (.wv) or four (.flac) letter extensions.  I think there has got to be lots of available three letter extensions.

Is there such a thing as a registry for file extensions (other than something like filext.com)?

How about "SoundSqueeze" with .ssq as an extension?

(a minor problem perhaps is that http://www.soundsqueeze.com/ is taken by some kind of a music producer, and it doesn't look like the .org is available either)

[edit]
Perhaps a slight permutation: SongSqueeze would work, as at least a .com is available for it.  The name might be limiting though, since you could compress audio other than songs with it

SonicSqueeze, SoniSqueeze, MusiComp... I dunno... just brainstorming.

Reply #74
Few references to classical music:

BACH = Brilliant Audio Compressor Handling (or Beautiful Audio...)
extension: .bach or .bac or .bwv
logo: here or here

Amadeus = double reference to celestial music (Mozart) and cinema (Milos Forman) in case of multichannel abilities
extension: .wam [Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart], which is close to .wav but even closer to .wma