Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Crackle when using the DSD Processor with IFI-Audio Zen DAC (Read 2099 times) previous topic - next topic

Crackle when using the DSD Processor with IFI-Audio Zen DAC

I have recenly bought an IFI-Audio Zen Dac and set foobar using the DSD Processor plug-in. Some tracks exhibit a slight cracking (similar to surface noise on vinyl). This is most noticeable with more acoustic music eg voice and piano or voice and acoustic guitar. The problem occurs with both native DSD256 files and 44.1k upsampled to DSD256.

I have played the same track via the on-board soundcard and there is no noticeable crackle. I play the same tracks on VLC going through the Zen and there is no crackle. I believe VLC only plays PCM so DSD files are downsampled.

Can you suggest any adjustments which may help eradicate the crackle. Am I pushing my system too hard, including the dac, to play everything upsampled to DSD 256.

Re: Crackle when using the DSD Processor with IFI-Audio Zen DAC

Reply #1
Do you use native or DoP? I find native to be more resource demanding. And how much did you set for buffer? Mine is 1000 ms but I use DoP. Native may require more. Sometimes it stutters when I browse the internet at the same time, but it's tolerable. Oh and I play up to DSD256, the maximum my DAC can support with DoP.