Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Slow speed ripping cd (Read 1627 times) previous topic - next topic

Slow speed ripping cd

I am getting very slow speed when I rip a cd on my Windows 8 system which is a HP Pavillon, the CD/DVD drive is SW820.

When I rip a cd using Foobar2000, the speed I am getting is 1.3x, then I used a USB3 external portable drive, then I get 17x, thinking the drive is bad, I used the same cd but ripped using EAC and got a speed of 10x on the SW820, which is not bad I assume the drive is ok. It looks like Foobar doesn't like this drive, is there anything I can do with Foobar to make it go faster with this drive? I am already using the latest version 1.3.16.

Re: Slow speed ripping cd

Reply #1
As you noticed correctly, RIP speed depends greatly (among other factors coming from the CD you rip) on the hardware and firmware of the drive you are using. I had an old Plextor DVD writer that could read CDs at maximum speed (i.e.: 40x or so), while a more recent LG BluRay Writer can read audio CDs at a speed of 1 or so it seems.
Now is that a question of quality, as one might thing? AFAIK it's mostly not, because music interest groups enforced that drive manufacturers make their drives slow when ripping audio CDs. Or maybe the other way round: The faster a drive can rip audio CDs, the higher the fee the manufacturer has to pay to music industry.
(Most people aren't aware that for every hard disk, CD-R, printer, copier or memory card the music industry receives some fee, because we all all bad and make pirated copies ;-))

Reply #2
I'm having the same issue and am currently in the process of digitizing over 70 CDs I bought from Discogs. I've noticed that some CDs are getting ripped extremely slow while others get ripped significantly faster. The drive settings don't seem to make a difference. When the process is faster, the drive is working very audibly.

Sounds like nonsense to me. Please provide some sources.

AFAIK it's mostly not, because music interest groups enforced that drive manufacturers make their drives slow when ripping audio CDs. Or maybe the other way round: The faster a drive can rip audio CDs, the higher the fee the manufacturer has to pay to music industry.

Reply #3
There was a thing called Riplock back in the day but that usually didn't impact music CDs.

Have you tried ripping with CUEtools to see if there is any difference?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4
I have no idea whether the applications do cache defeating in an equally economical fashion, and so re-reads might take more time on this than on that.

As for speed differences on seemingly pristine CDs that do not raise any C2 error flags: I think some drives turn down the speed if it senses that the disc isn't perfectly balanced.