Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Microsoft Edge (Read 2805 times) previous topic - next topic

Microsoft Edge

There is a new version with a stylized 'e' that almost looks like an 'o' that you have to download manually.  The acid3 test has gone backwards to 96% vis a vis the browser comparison chart on the wikipedia. 

But the multiprocess support is perfect!  It doesn't crash! 

I am using the AdBlockPlus browser extension.   The only one that works right with secure sites.

To be honest, with the update, and the manual update to Windows from Windows update along with the latest .NET framework, the display looks a bit MacIntoshish.
Daniel L Newhouse

Re: Microsoft Edge

Reply #1
Also, Edge has extensions, most of which are pop up blockers.  The one that I use now is Adguard Adblocker. 
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #2
After some experimentation I have discovered that AdBlocker is ghosted so that sites will not know it's there.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #3
Er, I meant "stealthed" not "ghosted."
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #4
Because if the pop blocker isn't stealthed, you'll sometimes get a pop up indicating you have a pop up blocker.  Which means you can browse CNN in peace.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #5
I have found that Edge sometimes hangs when using Lenovo support.  The solution is to switch between Edge and Chrome to get Edge unjammed.  The display on Edge looks better, the fonts on Chrome look too small.  My eyesight isn't young anymore and I can't take heavy doses of Chrome.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #6
I use Canary Edge with Adguard Adblocker.
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #7
Adguard Adblocker has promoted itself to Adblocker for Windows with a free VPN.   That may conflict with KIS secure connection.

I tried Ad-aware adblock because it is supposedly faster.  Comments

1) It does work with Edge
2) It does not work with CNN.
3) With Chrome it has serious hijack problems.   

If I were more vigilant I might see if it works better on Chrome with Spywareblaster installed.  Browser hijack may be the wrong term - it just starts popping tabs at you with advertising in them.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #8
What about uBlock Origin?

Reply #9
I'm afraid it will block pop ups on student loan sites.

Also, I think I have a root kit that causes news items to pop up in the lower right of my desktop.  When it's just incoming email notices I assume its normal.  Edge ignores them, Chrome starts popping up notices.  I just got done getting rid of some weird malware that I had to setup and then uninstall to get rid of.  I already had one Geek Squad cleaning and they aren't free.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #10
You may also have clicked the button to allow a random site or two to push notices to your browser, and that setting is per browser, too. Check for "notifications" under settings of both browsers.

Reply #11
Adguard Adblocker never blocked a pop up when it wasn't detected.  Enter Ghostery.  "Ghost ad blocker" gets better results than "stealth ad blocker."  Adguard Adblocker did not need an explicit white list from CNN.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #12
It's curious that Ghostery is indicated on the toolbar but not on the taskbar.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #13
HowtoGeek indicates there is no perfect ad blocker.  The Brave browser has no trouble with pop ups on that site.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #14
I wouldn't recommend Brave for personal reasons, and for the following technical reason: They replace the ads they block with their own integrated ads, and deal with some craptocurrency system.

I have minimal trouble with most sites I regularly visit with the following configurations:

1) Safari on macOS, with AdGuard for Safari, with the Annoyances and Crypto Blocker lists enabled in settings along with the defaults.
2) Safari on iOS, on both iPhone and iPad, with AdGuard for Safari, with the same lists as above added on.
3) Microsoft Edge on Windows and macOS, with uBlock Origin, with the same optional lists or similarly named lists, enabled as well.
4) Mozilla Firefox on Linux, with uBlock Origin, with the same lists as Edge.

Some things still bother me occasionally, which I use individual object blockers to block. Or, I avoid certain sites altogether if they nag me enough.

Reply #15
CNN reports that amongst the 4 pop up blockers,
Adblock
Adblock Plus
Adguard Adblocker
uBlock Origin

only Adblocker can whitelist CNN.  The rest have to be turned off.  Fortunately, Ghostery can white list CNN without entering the URL.  Adguard Adblocker, when I try it, doesn't even need to whitelist CNN.  And it doesn't need to be whitelisted on HTG either.  They've improved it.

The html5 page has been fixed so that it no longer hangs.  It's a little fun to compare Brave with Edge and see they have the same score there and on CSS3 test.  But it's not as high as reported on the browser comparison chart on the wikipedia.  What is up with that?  It looks like the browser wars may finally make progress.  I groaned when they came out with chromium.

I found what makes a lot of weird advertisements (RSS feeds) is Thunderbird.  Even after you uninstall it.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #16
I just tried both Adguard in Safari, and uBlock Origin in Edge. Neither one needed whitelisting on CNN. Of course, I made sure to enable the AdGuard Annoyances and uBlock Annoyances lists in uBlock Origin first, and updated my other lists.

Reply #17
Before browser extensions were called ad blockers, Adblock Plus entered the world as pop up blocking software that wouldn't block pop ups on secure web sites.  That is, student loan sites wouldn't malfunction.

I confused CSS3 test with Acid3 test.  The Acid3 test is the easiest one, followed by html5, and then CSS3.  The comparison of browsers has a bunch of other functionality.
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #18
for those who care about privacy i recommend Firefox along with a very good config, arkenfox - see...

https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js

i maintain a few guides that supplement the arkenfox project...

https://12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/

there are several very knowledgeable people that contribute to the arkenfox project, besides 'pants', the project leader, including a couple of developers that work on Firefox - the project also benefits from the Tor project, as does Firefox itself as a result of the Tor uplift project

that said, i have lost a lot of respect for Mozilla over the years - it's really a shitty company at the core (https://12bytes.org/articles/tech/the-mozilla-monster/) - but in my opinion there is no other mainstream, capable, extendable browser out there that can touch Firefox regarding privacy _as long as_ it is accompanied with a proper config file - this includes Brave, Waterfox, un-googled chrome, Chromium, Opera, etc.

Reply #19
Another problem is notifications.  When the trial period of Adguard Adblocker is over its behavior is very surreptitious. 
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #20
At least their browser extensions are free. The only AdGuard that actually costs money is the system-wide blocker, and that also means the blocker either needs to generate and install a root certificate so it can man-in-the-middle your HTTPS traffic, or it needs to avoid filtering that.