Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Updated --dm-preset switches (Was: \"New very hard to encode (Read 14824 times) previous topic - next topic

Updated --dm-preset switches (Was: \"New very hard to encode

(Thread split from: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showth...ost&threadid=72)

Alright.. bumping this thread might be relevant due to some changes I've implemented in the --dm-preset switches in LAME(which I am still tweaking for a new revision btw).  I will release a new compile as well as some cvs commits shortly.

Here are a few samples which have traditionally shown problems with the --dm-preset switches unless -Z was used.  The -std is the standard --dm-preset, -std-Z is the standard --dm-preset with -Z, and -alt is the new "standard" dm-preset.

Short:

- Short with --dm-preset standard

- Short with --dm-preset standard -Z

- Short with --dm-preset standard-alt (new mode)

Fatboy:

- Fatboy with --dm-preset standard

- Fatboy with --dm-preset standard -Z

- Fatboy with --dm-preset standard-alt (new mode)
  (See a few posts below for an updated sample)

Sample of "normal" music to show how similar the two modes are on non-difficult clips:

- 41_30sec with --dm-preset standard

- 41_30sec with --dm-preset standard-alt (new mode)

The difference in quality on the more difficult samples is quite huge.  Of course, these samples are still not perfect, and they probably will never be with MP3, but this is a big improvement in quality nevertheless.

The bitrate increase you see on the difficult samples is partially related to fixing the -Z issue, but it is also partially related to an attempt to improve pre-echo handling.  I'm still working on the latter aspect though.

Reply #2
Hello all and dibrom,

Excuse when i hear that fatboy is even worse at least in the middlepart from 1.7 to 3.7 sec with the alternate compile contra std-Z and this when alternate even needs 38kbit more on average. :confused:

I can´t say the alternate mode does anything better with short than std-Z

But today it may not be my best day for do listening, i had nearly no sleep.

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #3
I urge people not to test these yet.. 
Just heard the latest version of fatboy, and it's MUCH better!
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #4
Hi Wombat!

Since I've posted the last fatboy sample I've been tweaking lame some more and have come up with an even better sample, which you can get here:

http://www.animus-facticius.org/new_standa...boy-current.mp3

Keep in mind, the idea isn't necessarily to come out better than with using -Z (though I think this version does) but instead to come to the quality level of -Z on these samples without having to use -Z on everything else.  The problem is that -Z increases the bitrate by a large amount on almost all music, while this approach only causes LAME to scale up in bitrate on critical samples, but keep more normal and easy to code samples at nearly the same bitrate.

And as JohnV said, things are improving still.  It's a work in progress folks, I'm just trying to give everyone a taste of what's in store

Reply #5
Last night, just before Dibrom posted his first message, he sent me fatboy, short, and 41_30sec to listen to, alt vs. std.  I thought both fatboy and short improved noticeably, and 41_30sec did not degrade.  Short had ugly background noises with std which alt improved.

Fhg VBR 100% still had the best fatboy, though.

ff123

Reply #6
Originally posted by ff123
Fhg VBR 100% still had the best fatboy, though.

Yeah, Fhg had the old version beat.  The new one I just posted comes much closer to matching fastenc in quality.  The beginning and ends of the file aren't as clean sounding as with fastenc, but fastenc has some artifacts in the middle that this lame version doesn't so its a much closer call than before I think.

Reply #7
@ff123

Yes alternate is ways better than standard, i talked about alternate wasn´t  better than standard -Z!

Well, but how things can change! fatboy current gave me the first WOW effect since long - i still smile!!

Happy Wombat

Reply #8
I just listened to fatboy-current, and it's very close to FhG VBR 100% now.  Wombat says WOW with good reason -- this is quite an accomplishment.

ff123

Reply #9
Yes, yes, yes!

You have outdone yourself, Dibrom!

It sound even better than standard with -Z. How can this be? Are you fooling around with the vbr_mrth with -X0 in the latest alpha?

Keep it up. I'm sincerely impressed... 

With the highest regards, stoff

Reply #10
Originally posted by stoff
Yes, yes, yes!

Thanks

It sound even better than standard with -Z. How can this be? Are you fooling around with the vbr_mrth with -X0 in the latest alpha?

Well it is a combination of a couple different things I'm doing.  I'll explain it all once I've finished tuning everything and I release the compile.  However, part of it is related to joint stereo, part of it is related to noise shaping 2, and part of it is related to short block handling.  I'm not using vbr-mtrh or -X0 (the -X switch actually doesn't work with vbr-mtrh).  Once I get this stuff under control, I do plan on looking at vbr-mtrh though.

Reply #11
Yes, yes, yes!

I second this.

I do notice a significant improvement with the new mode of fatboy over the standard sample.  Sounds more defined. 

in the short samples, the bass just sounds quite more deeper with your new mode.

Great job

Reply #12
Dibber,

Could you provide us with a compile, even a experimental one, for further testing?

Reply #13
Originally posted by cd-rw.org
Could you provide us with a compile, even a experimental one, for further testing?

Sorry but not yet.  There are a few things I need to fine tune a little bit more before putting a compile out there.  I don't think it should be too much longer though.

Reply #14
Originally posted by Dibrom
the -X switch actually doesn't work with vbr-mtrh

well, it works, but a little bit different compared to the old code. (no final mapping...)

Reply #15
Yeah I just noticed your latest cvs commits the other day which added this functionality.  It should be interesting to see how it all works when finalized.

Reply #16
Hi Dibrom!

Just one question while we all eagerly await the "release": Will the tweak mainly affect bass response or should it also help short block handling on the higher tones? It would be awesome if the tweak also improved something like the hi-hat part of Roel's former test, e.g. less smeared?

Regards, stoff

Reply #17

Just one question while we all eagerly await the "release": Will the tweak mainly affect bass response or should it also help short block handling on the higher tones? It would be awesome if the tweak also improved something like the hi-hat part of Roel's former test, e.g. less smeared?

Well basically I am attempting to address both.  The part about bass handling is for sure a given with these tweaks, the part about pre-echo on higher frequency transients isn't quite so easy though.  Already the --dm-preset's handle pre-echo better than alternatives (say --r3mix for example) but I'd like to get it even better if possible.  We will just have to see..  I have tweaked LAME to where it produces better results on death2 (very harsh pre and post-echo test case) and castanets but I am not quite sure if this tweak can be applied appropriately in other situations yet.

Basically, I'm just trying a bunch of different things at the moment.  Information you may see elsewhere as to what exactly I am doing is most likely out of date.  The only thing to say is just "wait and see" really

Reply #18
Dibrom,

Thanks again for all your hardwork with these compiles... you have acomplished more in the last 2 months than r3mix accomplished in a year!

Now my next question is probably mundane but here it is anyway:

Where on this site are you going to post your special compile for download?

On this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/download.php?
(which requires an account)

On animusfacticius.org? (probably spelled it incorrectly and I know latin too--artificial soul/mind?)  Is this site still operational or did i just mispell it?

Or where?

Thanks,
eagerly awaiting your compile,
RD

Reply #19
Originally posted by RD

Thanks again for all your hardwork with these compiles... you have acomplished more in the last 2 months than r3mix accomplished in a year!

Thanks

Now my next question is probably mundane but here it is anyway:

Where on this site are you going to post your special compile for download?

On this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/download.php?
(which requires an account)

On animusfacticius.org? (probably spelled it incorrectly and I know latin too--artificial soul/mind?)  Is this site still operational or did i just mispell it?

Or where?

I'll probably host the file on http://www.animus-facticius.org (note the -, and you basically got the meaning right.. artificial consciousness/intelligence is a bit more in the vein of what I was going for but close enough.. it is actually the name of another project which I haven't really opened up to the public (unrelated to audio encoding) at this point.. so I just host stuff from there instead)... as well as provide a link in the downloads section.  I don't imagine this will stay up too long though since most of the changes will probably be incorporated back into LAME.

Reply #20
...ah... its all becoming clear now...
you are a musician as well...the green image in your posts is the "artificial conciousness" and that animus-facticius.org is the website that was planned for your music release...

Am i right?

Man what a prodigy: musician/programmer/audiophile/golden-ear/beer-expert/  where does it end dibrom?!?! 

Well i am a musician too--would like to hear your stuff...

RD

Reply #21
Originally posted by RD
Am i right?

Yeah.. pretty much

Well i am a musician too--would like to hear your stuff...

Perhaps I can send something sometime.  Unfortunately in the last few months I haven't really been in much of a situation to work on the project to the extent I would have liked, but hopefully in the coming months that will change.

Reply #22
Alright.. I finally got one of the bigger tweaks I was working on for all of this in place now  Basically, it is an entirely new frequency based noise measuring criterion (-X9) which should provide quite an increase in quality on impulse samples, and I'm hoping on just transients in general.  It is different from the other modes in that depending on the current scalefactor band, it uses different levels of noise measuring (maximum, total+maximum, average, etc).

I'm polishing it all up now and then I'm going to add the rest of the tweaks that I've been working on.

It looks like there is probably going to be a test version of my new compile available sometime today... so stay tuned

Reply #23
Nervously shaking and cleaning ears!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #24
Originally posted by Wombat
Nervously shaking and cleaning ears!

Same!