Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 2.1.4 Crash (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 2.1.4 Crash

Hi All,

i was using 2.1.3 after upgrading my portable installation from 1.6 i thought it was time to try the newest version. My music is stored on a network drive and whenever i was changing tags or moving files it would randomly crash. i could never figure out what specifically. i ignored it, updated to 2.1.4 and within 5 mins crashes again. i have had about 4 tonight. i want to stay on 2k but i can only stop the crashes when using 1.6.

i updated over the top of my existing installation but also tried a completely fresh one, that didnt work either. i searched other crashes and saw turning off hardware acceleration was an option, turns out mines already off. please see attached crash, if someone can interpret the violation i would be very appreciative. i also send the logs within Foobar.

Re: Foobar 2.1.4 Crash

Reply #1
Looks like it can't open sqlite databases. The sqlite error 14 means SQLITE_CANTOPEN and the win32 error 2 means ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. And you get the exact same problem with a clean portable install?

Reply #2
I got another kind of problem for the same version but not the previous.
Every time it starts...

Reply #3
@Musique-Rabbit, have you perhaps extracted the player files from the installer manually?
Unless you modify Windows settings, files downloaded from the internet are marked with a hidden alternative stream file marking them as potentially dangerous. The installer removes this marking from the installed files, but if you bypass the installer the marking can stay with the files. Which would cause the OS to keep treating the files as dangerous internet sourced files.

Reply #4
Thanks, Case.

I used a "portable" package from VideoHelp so that I can move around with my settings.

Reply #5
3rd parties are not supposed to distribute portable packages. It against the terms of the license*.

Also, the official installers have had portable mode since forever.

*Plenty of half wits on this forum also do it. And they're usally stupid enough to bundle their entire folder totallng hundreds of megabytes when the required files are probably 10-20MB max. :/

Reply #7
Looks like it can't open sqlite databases. The sqlite error 14 means SQLITE_CANTOPEN and the win32 error 2 means ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. And you get the exact same problem with a clean portable install?
Sorry for the late reply, i humoured you the other day and started from scratch again, all was working well for 5 days. today i installed  foo_playcount (Playback Statistics - by Peter) and instantly crashes came back. recovered from a backup, no issues at all so i think its the plugin causing it. i have fresh crash dumps if you are interested.

Reply #8
Care to share the "N:\Software\Foobar\Foobar2000 - Downloads\profile\metadb.sqlite" file? Attempt to open it seem to cause all the problems again. I see BitDefender interfering in the call stack for some reason. I wonder if it is the cause of these problems.

Reply #9
sure, here it is. had to zip it.
F'ing Bitdefender...

Reply #10
Wait i am an idiot thats not the right one, the recent install with the crash is 0bytes for the metadb?

Reply #11
Ok. The file you shared didn't cause any crashing here and sqlite's integrity check also said it's ok. But after your updated post I truncated my metadb.sqlite file to 0 bytes. It caused zero issues for foobar2000 startup.
Can you try excluding foobar2000 from BitDefender?

Reply #12
yeah absolutely, appreciate your time i will try look at BitDefender as the culprit, gives me something to look into as before i wasnt sure what it was. thanks man.

Reply #13
Hi @Case would you mind checking out these dumps please? this is after disabling Bitdefender, still got the crash. i have narrowed it down slighlty, it appears to crash after file operations like moving songs from downloads to my all music folder within Foobar. i am a bit lost on what is happening.

Reply #14
Error with SQLite again. I assume you still have foobar2000 stored on the N: drive that is a NAS device of some sort. SQLite's documentation mentions multiple possible problems with having the database on a network drive, reliability can't be guaranteed.
Older foobar2000 versions prior to 2.0 did not use SQLite databases and they only wrote configuration to the disk once at the end. Since 2.0 configuration, media library and related metadata are all SQLite backed and the files are always kept up-to-date.
Move your foobar2000 away from the network drive and try again.