Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mobile streaming solution allowing for intermittency (Read 1594 times) previous topic - next topic

Mobile streaming solution allowing for intermittency

My classical collection is huge, over 1TB of high bitrate MP3s, arranged in folders, not tagged (I'm not interested going down that path). When it was smaller I heavily compressed it fit it on the largest cards I could get but I'm looking for a better, more scalable solution.

I'm looking for the best way to have access to it all on intermittent mobile connectivity (for example going underground, when on Wifi briefly only or where signals are patchy) and without blowing through my data allowance. I can't carry that much even at very low bitrates, I don't like to choose and this way I can get away with less storage in my mobile devices.

I'm looking for a streaming solution that can do the following:
1. Navigate by folder and create playlists from a folder in one step
2. Transcode to a lower bitrate/format to keep a lid on data transfers
3. Create a really long buffer of up to 2 hours (ideally customizable, filling aggressively when it can)
4. Be accessible on mobile (got them all: iOS, Android, WP, BB) and PC, in browser and maybe in-app, must not pause when in background
5. As a nice to have server-side speed-up of sound for the odd audiobook in my collection would be great. Speeding up there reduces data transfers.

I'm building a new dual Windows/Linux server that's internet-accessible so I'm open to all ideas. I've got TVersity right now which kind of works but doesn't create the buffer I'm looking for.

Thanks!