Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suggestion for forum layout. (Read 4835 times) previous topic - next topic

Suggestion for forum layout.

I'm not sure if Dibrom will love this message, but here's my suggestion for new forum layout.
I suggest that subforum-look will be ditched.

In my opinion the following looking forum page is more solid, simple, shorter and overall better looking.
http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/julaak/mayhem.png
I would like some opinions about this.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
Yep - this way forum is easier to navigate and looks better. Sub-forums are not necessary.

Reply #2
Well, I suppose some people who are only interested in one format could want to bookmark only the Ogg main page, for example, so that he only sees the subforums, but I'm not one of them -- just another extra click for me.  So I'd go for JohnV's suggestion as well.

ff123

Reply #4
Yes, I agree with the comments. Please make the forums look nicer and neater without the subforums. Thanks.

Reply #5
Originally posted by ff123
Well, I suppose some people who are only interested in one format could want to bookmark only the Ogg main page, for example, so that he only sees the subforums, but I'm not one of them -- just another extra click for me.  So I'd go for JohnV's suggestion as well.

ff123

This is one of the reasons I have it laid out this way.  First, people interested in only one format like that can just link directly to that section.  Secondly, to me it is more organized looking this way -- the audio format section is clearly differentiated from the Project Mayhem and Hyrogen Audio forums.

I don't quite get what you mean about an extra click though, the forums are laid out in a manner to where you can jump directly to the subforums, you never have to click the top of the forum tree for each format if you don't like.

I may be able to make a seperate, selectable style which would layout the forums more like the picture JohnV showed, but I don't think I will set it that way by default.

Reply #6
You can link directly to a section, if you do it like in my pic and like at rage3d forum, so that the black title is a link to a subsection.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #7
OK, for those that don't like the current layout and want something more like what JohnV showed, do this:

1. Click the "user cp" button up top
2. Click the "Edit Options" link in your profile
3. Go to the "Other Options" section
4. Select the "ModifiedView" style set.

I need to make the section categories links still, and I can't remove the PsychoAcoustic Audio Compression category, but it should be more in line with what some of you apparently want.

Reply #8
thanks Dibrom

Reply #9
[deleted]

Reply #10
Thank you Dibrom - it's great to have a choice of layouts.

Reply #11
I agree too!
Much better layout.
Thanks!