Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Codec re-evaluation (Read 2908 times) previous topic - next topic

Codec re-evaluation

Hello,

after all those years we could look back and see what really matters. With real music in real situations I find it hard to detect a four-fold compression, no matter if IMA ADPCM compression or MPEG1 layer 1.

These codecs had gapless playback when the term was not even coined. Layer 1 and 2 had optional checksums. The player does not show false track times and messes up timing as it can happen with layer 3.

Layer 3 was designed for high compression and good sound of most signals, not for transparency. No matter how high the bitrate is the algorithm fails with critical samples. Just look around!

Greetings,
Uli

Codec re-evaluation

Reply #1
You're right, we should all go back to encoding our music with IMA ADPCM!

Codec re-evaluation

Reply #2
What's your point, Uli?

Regarding gapless playback, track times, etc, sure, ADPCM doesn't have these problems because a) it's CBR and time-based, b) it's order of magnitudes less complex than MP3 or AAC.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.