Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature requests useful for audiobooks (Read 5503 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature requests useful for audiobooks

It would be nice to have following features:

1. Support for .m4b files including chapter navigation and file creation

2. Ability to remember in-track playback position for all playlists whose tabs present in main window - this would provide an iTunes like behavior where the playback restarts at position where it was stopped

Reply #1
2. [...] playback restarts at position where it was stopped

Like "Preferences > Playback > [X] Resume playback after restart"? (suggestion for the homepage staff: please add this to the FAQ.)

Reply #3
Hello,
I second this request.
I am afraid foo_uie_bookmarks is not correct solution for this issue. I think audio books are primarily targeted to users with low vision who are using default user interface for very good reasons. Columns UI completely changes FB2k's look and feel. Other than this it looks really nice. It's a pity I won't be able to take advantage of it.
Also to explain difference between "Resume playback after restart" and what we wish: Resume playback after restart can remember which track in which play list one was listening to prior to closing Foobar. Now imagine scenario that one has let's say three play lists and loaded different audio book into each of them. When foobar is restarted play list selection is remembered. and we wish to expand this functionality so not only currently selected track in all the play lists gets remembered but also time position within these tracks.
Another related functionality would be Winamp-like jump to time functionality where one can enter time value manually without using seek bar or jumping by relative units.
I think it is not necessary to have such a functions in the core but I would be happy if this would be possible with default user interface.

Reply #4
I would also appreciate these features.

Reply #5
I perfectly agree with your request, but I must correct one thing:

Resume playback after restart can remember which track in which play list one was listening to prior to closing Foobar.

This is not what this option does. It does not only remember the track that was played, it even continues playback at the position within a track if it was played (or paused) while quitting foobar2000.

Reply #6
i'd really like to see bookmark-functionality for the default ui too. it's on my wishlist for years now 

Reply #7
It does not only remember the track that was played, it even continues playback at the position within a track if it was played (or paused) while quitting foobar2000.

Yeah this is correct. I just wanted to point out it takes only currently playing or paused track into account while audio book geeks would rather like to see an ability to remember positions for tracks active in each opened playlist.