Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why contemporary music is DEPRESSING! (no nostalgic BS, it's decadence) (Read 4883 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why contemporary music is DEPRESSING! (no nostalgic BS, it's decadence)

Reply #25
IMO it's the industry part of the music industry that sucks, it's always been around but now it's easier than ever to remove artistry from the equation altogether. Same with any art that involves a lot of money, AAA video games are mostly soulless cash grabs but there's a tonne of indie stuff worth playing. Just look for the artists who would be doing it whether there was a market or not.
Speaking of games, there are game (neither AAA nor indie) soundtracks that I like but I don't play the games, like this:
https://youtu.be/FtD7qy37XdY

There are of course, sites like OcRemix where one can expect excellent to completely horrible rearrangements.

Reply #26
Its a good video.  He nails it in most aspects, plus minus.

30 minutes isn't long, The guy is no 'whiner' and no new kid on the
block @42 yo
He actually starts with loudness-war / mastering issues, can't argue much with that one.
Don't be so quick to judge.

Reply #27
I like to think that the problem is not with music but with me, but... Hell, this may be the problem
Opus VBR 256 + SoX

Reply #29
Without watching i also find it strange how artists lately publicly feel the need telling everyone about their mental problems. They claim wanting to help others but somehow it feels like it has become a part of the business to bind fans.

A.W.A.R.E.N.E.S.S

Whatever that means these days. I personally have no clue what they mean by it.

Reply #30
Klergy x Valerie Broussard - 'The Beginning Of The End' (Riverdale Soundtrack)
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #31
Say what you will, there was a cultural peak, artistically speaking, in the 1960s and 70s. we're obviously in the decline now.

civilizations come and then they go, greed doomed this one as usual .... just saying
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #32
we're obviously in the decline now.
Says every generation since ancient Greeks ;-)

Reply #33
Say what you will
Please people, this is hydrogenaudio, the place where we constantly remind (new) people of TOS #8. I think we can do better than present opinions as facts.

It seems to me as if a lot of people agreeing with the title of this discussion are overlooking strong biases they have. Music is generally strongly associated with emotion and feelings, see for example the power of film soundtracks, where music can really amplify emotion of what is happening on screen.

So, it is only natural to cherish music of (happy parts of one's) past, especially if people you love(d) introduced you to certain pieces of music or you made happy memories listening to it. On the other side, if you happen to listen to 'contemporary' music only in the background on the radio, being repeated often, hearing only during a boring day job, then of course you'll hate it. That doesn't mean the music is bad.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #34
Let's be honest...it's catered towards the TikTok crowd... aka the "TikTokfication" of music 
LAME: -f -V 0 -Y
 Xing: -V150 -X2 -U2 -HF-1 -TX0