Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Free Encoder Pack (Read 30425 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Free Encoder Pack

Reply #75
Because those who install a bunch of free encoders, might want to be able to use the encoders also outside of foobar2000 - including on signals that foobar2000 does not handle losslessly?

Example: DSD.

Reply #76
PATH manipulation is not planned. Filling the application install directory with random files isn't wanted either.

The encoders are meant purely for foobar2000. No one is stopping people from writing helper components that can utilize the binaries from their current install location. Also I believe people who are willing and competent enough to use command line directly can edit search path manually. Or just type the commands so that proper paths are used.

Reply #77
Noted.

I anyway updated https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Free_Encoder_Pack and noticed a discrepancy: the installer says "Winamp 5.62 or newer" but the wiki also says (I didn't touch it) 5.62 to 5.666 as 5.8 won't do.

Someone probably knows all the details and can fix whatever needs to be updated. If it doesn't work with all newer, then ...

Reply #78
Indeed the latest Winamp 5.8 beta build 3660 doesn't bundle FhG AAC encoder. Apparently the new Winamp owner had no license for it: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=3163565#post3163565

I suppose for the next build I should change the text to "requires Winamp 5.62-5.666". Though newer version is ok if it's upgraded from older one, so the description would be inaccurate then too.

Reply #79
New version created yesterday with the following updates: FLAC v1.4.0, WavPack v5.5.0, qaac v2.76 and refalac v1.76.
FLAC is a custom MSVC compile, official binary requires libflac.dll which is unacceptable.

Edit: and another update as someone forgot to fix the fhgaacenc note.

Reply #80
Updated 2022-09-23 with FLAC 1.4.1.

Reply #81
One little issue about its wavpack conversion, when I try to use the 384kbps hybrid option, the converted file reads at 406kbps. Or if I do 320, it exports as 332.  Can't seem to get the exact values I want. Is this a bug?

Reply #82
Note that the bundled WavPack encoder is the official encoder. I'm unfortunately not a WavPack expert but the hybrid mode seems to try to maintain the audio quality as close to original as possible and appears to treat the target bitrate only as a request.

The codec pack was updated with FLAC v1.4.2 on 2022-10-25.
And with WavPack v5.6.0, qaac v2.77 and refalac v1.77 on 2022-11-30.

Reply #83
The latest code pack "Free_Encoder_Pack-2022-11-30.exe" contains malware:

Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml

found by Windows Defender

Reply #84
The latest code pack "Free_Encoder_Pack-2022-11-30.exe" contains malware:

Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml

found by Windows Defender

Can you please read from the top and down this thread?!

Here is my Windows' "more honest" message:
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
It does not know the executable. Fair enough.

Reply #85
@Case  will this work for x64 if path is set as right now installer assumes x86

Reply #87
New version 2023-04-30 available: https://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack.

This version restores the ability to use Microsoft Store version of iTunes with qaac. Last versions were missing this feature as I had used old build scripts by mistake.

The pack can now also detect 64-bit foobar2000 installation.

Opus was updated to v1.4, qaac is v2.79 and refalac v1.79.

Reply #88
Hi,
could not be installed in a custom folder - old version works, (seems to be a bug)
or am I wrong.
In FB2K I can choose the folder in advanced settings.

Reply #90
Hi,

sadly no chance - NEXT will be grayed out. A new created folder will be grayed out too  :(

Reply #92
@ASopH

https://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack
What is this?
> The binaries are conveniently installed into a subfolder of the foobar2000 installation folder.
Current versions of foobar2000 will automatically recognize these encoders and no longer ask you for encoder binary location.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY ULT WEAR (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #93
hello grimes

I see :-)
My folder is outside of foobar installation folder (I'd copied this away) - 2 more portables are using this folder...
It seems, I must change it back. Thank you

Reply #94
Updated version 2023-07-04.
Bundles FLAC 1.4.3. Custom generic static GCC compile.

Reply #95
Can I get a confirmation that there is no threat in the 7-04 version of the Free Encoder Pack? This is a much more intimidating message than I normally get from foobar-related stuff.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #96
Zero detection from my Windows Defender (latest updates), and VirusTotal shows Zero detections from 70 out of 71 vendors.  IOW, no viruses.

Reply #97
Thank you.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #98
..executes commands from an attacker.
"Destroy the non-lame mp3 bastion"
"Avoid suffering losses" *puts flac
"Attack with the highest capacity" *puts wavpack
"....do somethihng" *puts vorbis

Reply #99
Updated on 2023-07-05 with new qaac 2.80 and refalac 1.80.

A friendly request: if your anti virus software claims the bundle or a file in it is malware, could you kindly report it to the vendor as a false positive. That way everyone benefits.