Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why the cd wav ripped by WMP can't match any result? (Read 2529 times) previous topic - next topic

Why the cd wav ripped by WMP can't match any result?

Why the cd wav ripped by WMP can't match any result? I rip some cd to wav files by WMP,but these albums can't not match to the same cd in cuetools or  AccurateRip.why? Why the EAC can but WMP can't? there're something information lost in WMP-ripped-wav when ripped by WMP?

Re: Why the cd wav ripped by WMP can't match any result?

Reply #1
Why the cd wav ripped by WMP can't match any result? I rip some cd to wav files by WMP,but these albums can't not match to the same cd in cuetools or  AccurateRip.why? Why the EAC can but WMP can't? there're something information lost in WMP-ripped-wav when ripped by WMP?

Short story: Do not use WMP.

Longer story, you will find the details by googling:
CDs were intended to have a 2 second gap between the tracks. But it need not be silent.
That gap is "Index 0" of the track. Music starts at index 1.
Upon ripping, the "gap" is typically appended to the previous track, because then music starts when you start at the track (like on a CD player).
If the index is not the default two seconds (exactly!), then it is too hard to guess what the table of contents was, and CUETools, won't find it.
But if CUETools finds an EAC log or a cuesheet, it can.
WMP does not produce the EAC log or the cuesheet.

Try to dump the EAC log and the EAC-generated cuesheet into the folder with the WMP rip. Sometimes that is enough for CUETools to know it.

Reply #2
To check what TOC CUETools used for the RIP during verify, set 'Create TOC files' to 'True' on the 'Advanced' tab in settings. 'In source folder' also needs to be checked under 'Verify' on the 'AccurateRip' tab. This will create a filename.toc file in the source folder after you verify a RIP. You can open the file with a text editor such as notepad and compare that TOC to the TOC in the extraction log file from the EAC rip.
From my tests WMP leaves one sector off the end of the last track. This changes the length and CUETools cannot properly identify the CD. Any Track#1 pregap or data track info that existed would also be missing to identify the CD.
korth

Reply #4

Short story: Do not use WMP.

Longer story, you will find the details by googling:
CDs were intended to have a 2 second gap between the tracks. But it need not be silent.
That gap is "Index 0" of the track. Music starts at index 1.
Upon ripping, the "gap" is typically appended to the previous track, because then music starts when you start at the track (like on a CD player).
If the index is not the default two seconds (exactly!), then it is too hard to guess what the table of contents was, and CUETools, won't find it.
But if CUETools finds an EAC log or a cuesheet, it can.
WMP does not produce the EAC log or the cuesheet.

Try to dump the EAC log and the EAC-generated cuesheet into the folder with the WMP rip. Sometimes that is enough for CUETools to know it.

thanks!yeah,i never rip cd in WMP.but one of my friends used.i said eac is the best choice WMP is the worst,but he never listen to what i said.

Reply #5
To check what TOC CUETools used for the RIP during verify, set 'Create TOC files' to 'True' on the 'Advanced' tab in settings. 'In source folder' also needs to be checked under 'Verify' on the 'AccurateRip' tab. This will create a filename.toc file in the source folder after you verify a RIP. You can open the file with a text editor such as notepad and compare that TOC to the TOC in the extraction log file from the EAC rip.
From my tests WMP leaves one sector off the end of the last track. This changes the length and CUETools cannot properly identify the CD. Any Track#1 pregap or data track info that existed would also be missing to identify the CD.
thanks for your tests!u unraveling my doubts all along!so the wav ripped by WMP can't be called "lossless"?

edit: removed double quote

Reply #6
Why just delete a sector?
Probably just a bug.

so the wav ripped by WMP can't be called "lossless"?
I performed the tests some time ago.
I would define the last track as truncated. One sector of silence missing (lost) from the end.
Appending one sector of null samples to the end of the last track (with audacity) was enough for CUETools to correctly identify the CD and verify. Of course any Track#1 pregap or data track info that existed for the original CD had to be manually entered for an AccurateRip match and without read offset correction in WMP, the AccurateRip results were offset but most of the tracks verified as accurate.
korth