Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wave64 (Read 11005 times) previous topic - next topic

Wave64

Would it be possible for WavPack to accept large files (>4 Gig) through the Wave64 format? I do live surround recordings (multichannel files) and I have to use the Wave64 format because the files often go beyond 4 gig. I chose WavPack for archiving because it supports 32 bit float and some of my intermediary post-production files are at 32 bit float.

The subsidiary problem is the size and format of the original recording files, usually 24/96 multichannel Wave64. If WavPack would support Wave64, it would help me a lot. Here's a PDF with technical details about Wave64.

- Kewl

Wave64

Reply #1
Do you have wave64 files which are over 4GB? if so you can test if dBpoweramp is able to convert them to Wavpack.

Wave64

Reply #2
I'm on a Mac, so no dBpoweramp for me... I use XLD, which is about to be updated with support for Wave64 and WavPack: I have yet to test it with >4 GB Wave64, but I do have a lot of those files on my production computer.

Since Wave64 is a deriative of Wave, I just thought it should be directly supported by WavPack, but hey, that's just me! 

- Daniel

Wave64

Reply #3
It is a Sony proprietory codec, there is a new Wave specification for > 4GB (within the .wav riff format), called riff64

Wave64

Reply #4
Choice between wave64 or riff64 is not important. The point is the current wavpack specification that limits number of samples to 4,294,967,295.

Wave64

Reply #5
There are actually three limits in play here:

The first is the 4 GB limit on the WAV file format. This is fixed by either of the new replacement formats (wave64 and riff64), but the WavPack command-line programs do not currently handle either of these. However, this is not a limit of the WavPack library, and a program calling the library directly (like dBpoweramp) would not encounter this.

The second limit is that the WavPack library does not handle WavPack files larger than 4 GB. This is not a hard limit because it will sort-of work with them on Windows as long as no seek operations are performed. However, on Linux I was surprised to find out that if a program is compiled without 64-bit file support, it can't even see a file bigger than 4 GB! Anyway, this is a limit of the implementation of the WavPack library, not a limitation of the format itself.

Finally, there is the mentioned limit of the WavPack format of 4,294,967,294 samples (((u32) -1) is reserved). I don't believe that this is really a concern for the vast majority of applications because this is over 12 hours at 96 kHz (or 24 hours at 48 kHz) because these are composite samples, meaning no matter how many channels are used (or bytes per sample) you still get the same running time. Further, this doesn't apply to streaming WavPack which can theoretically run forever (you just can't randomly seek in the resulting output).

I am (of course) overwhelmingly busy, but limits 1 and 2 above are on my short list of things to take care of in the near future (i.e., 2008). 

Wave64

Reply #6
I am (of course) overwhelmingly busy, but limits 1 and 2 above are on my short list of things to take care of in the near future (i.e., 2008).

That answer is good enough for me! Thanks.

- Kewl

Wave64

Reply #7
Just want to add that the new XLD is out today, adding WavPack and Wave64 support. I successfully encoded a Wave64 bigger that 4 gig to a WavPack bigger that 2 gig with it.

- Kewl