Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rating stars (Read 4529 times) previous topic - next topic

Rating stars

Hello,

I have a problem.

The rating stars in foobar are not shown correct anymore.

First I thought it's a problem by foobar, but since I saw the same thing with Winamp I think it could be a problem with fonts or something like that.
I have not had this problem before.
One thing is very strange: Sometimes the stars are shown correctly after a system reboot and sometimes they don't. I have no clue why...
My OS ist Win7 Home Premium x64....

Rating stars

Reply #1
I'm certainly not an expert on these things, but looks like the font you use is somehow damaged (if thats possible in windows? Hmm...) Did you find out if it is the same font that's used in the programs affected? You could try to reinstall those fonts in the windows font manager, afaik.

Rating stars

Reply #2
Foobar 2000 uses Tahoma as default font, and that font has no stars in its tables, but Windows GDI supports font substitution when characters are missing. My guess is that for some reason these mappings have gone, to fix that particular problem please follow the instructions on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688134, my settings on Vista x64 for Tahoma are:
Code: [Select]
MSGOTHIC.TTC,MS UI Gothic
MINGLIU.TTC,PMingLiU
SIMSUN.TTC,SimSun
GULIM.TTC,Gulim

Also make sure that those fonts are installed, or you could add Arial Unicode MS to the end of the list, or any other font that has the Japanese star character.

Rating stars

Reply #3
Ah, thats great info, thanks Frozen. Always good to learn more about the program.

Rating stars

Reply #4
Woah, THIS is weird... After spending days to find a solution for my problem I decided to make a new windows installation hoping that the problem is gone - and now THIS: The problem is still there   

What's going wrong here!?

Rating stars

Reply #5
I ran into the same problem today when I tried to port my foobar installation over to my desktop. All symbols were gone, including the stars.
The solution offered in the link from frozen fixed it for me.

Go there look at the registry entries for FontLink. If the keys dont exist, put them in, it does no harm. I added Segeo Ui and Arial Unicode MS to Tahoma and that fixed it for me.

Rating stars

Reply #6
Hm that doesn't work for me... After a reboot it works indeed, but the next time I reboot my system the problem is back...

Rating stars

Reply #7
The problem may be a GDI Objects leak somewhere in the system. A complete reboot is not necessary, only a log out and log back in cycle at the most.

Rating stars

Reply #8
I had this problem on a machine running XP x86 and I must admit, after I had found the fix I didnt reboot. But Sounds very odd that the problem comes back after booting. What font is your system using? My laptop (win7 home, standard install) is using Segeo UI and I have all rating symbols and also Arial Unicode w/o any problem.

You can look that up in control center.

Rating stars

Reply #9
Get rid of your now using playlist and use EsPlaylist (http://foo2k.chottu.net/).
The stars there for rating are independent of any font you use.

Rating stars

Reply #10
I had this problem on a machine running XP x86 and I must admit, after I had found the fix I didnt reboot. But Sounds very odd that the problem comes back after booting. What font is your system using? My laptop (win7 home, standard install) is using Segeo UI and I have all rating symbols and also Arial Unicode w/o any problem.

You can look that up in control center.

I should add that on Windows XP and 2k, you MUST install East Asian language support to get the fonts that has stars.
Here is a link on how to do that: http://newton.uor.edu/Departments%26Progra...llation_XP.html
You need the CD from which the OS was installed (different versions or service pack levels do not work sometimes), or if the system was "Factory"-installed it might have a Prefetch directory which contains most install files. Another option is to simply press OK when it prompts you for the CD, and then you get asked where to find a specific file, then you could point it to a network drive with another XP/2k install that has East Asian language support, or search for the individual files on DLL-sites and such (but that is slow and painful).
Or now that I think about it, you only need the fonts mentioned in my previous post, but then it might not link them automatically.

Rating stars

Reply #11
Thanks frozen. I had the fonts installed already, as my first guess was there is something wrong with them. Anyway it seems fixed since all symbols (I put some unicode chars into colummn headers) did show up.

Rating stars

Reply #12
This happened when I cleared my font cache.

Try an sfc /scannow.