Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Remote listening to foobar? (Read 5176 times) previous topic - next topic

Remote listening to foobar?

What's the best solution you know of to listen to your music (with your home foobar) over the web when not at home?

The standard MS remote desktop (mstsc) gives decent audio quality at its best but cuts out every minute or so and drops quality even often.

Reply #2
For local lan streaming, the UPnP solution works well but if you want to send your streams though the internets then you should probably consider icecast. Both solutions even work well through wine.

Reply #3
foo_upnp is also a great option for streaming over the internet.  You just need a upnp renderer on the other end.  You didn't post what type of device you want remote playback on.  If it's a PC, foobar + foo_upnp can act as a renderer too.

Configuring foo_upnp for internet playback can be a little tricky, but really not too difficult.

Reply #4
It's just PC home -> PC work for me. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to give foo_upnp a try.

Reply #5
It's just PC home -> PC work for me. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to give foo_upnp a try.
I just attempted to solve this exact use case in the last two weeks. I looked at foo_vorbisstream + icecast, but was unsatisfied and found that foo_upnp is definitely the way to go. Pair it up with foo_httpcontrol and you're golden.

Reply #6
You may also want to give Subsonic (www.subsonic.org).  I have been using it for years and it does a great job of streaming all my music from anywhere (other location, phone, etc.).  It is very easy to setup and has a great user interface.  The only downside I have seen is the inability to have it use my Foobar playlists automatically.

Reply #7
You may also want to give Subsonic (www.subsonic.org).  I have been using it for years and it does a great job of streaming all my music from anywhere (other location, phone, etc.).  It is very easy to setup and has a great user interface.  The only downside I have seen is the inability to have it use my Foobar playlists automatically.

Yeah same here, I've just resorted to "Playlist-> Save all as.." to a folder that subsonic watches.

Reply #8
The website is a bit confusing about this on first glance, so can anyone confirm whether they offer a client application for desktop systems?

Reply #10
I looked at foo_vorbisstream + icecast, but was unsatisfied
What did you find unsatisfying, out of sheer curiosity?

Hey Canar!  I definitely wasn't trying to denigrate your plugin, but I did have a few issues:

1) icecast was occasionally buggy. I couldn't always get foobar to connect to the server for some reason. It took me about 30 minutes the first day, and I didn't think anything was wrong... it just wouldn't connect. Finally it started working, worked fine for a few days, then after a restart I had similar problems again. Took fiddling arround, stopping-restarting, reopening foobar, re-entering passwords, etc., and then it started working again. It was probably something specific to my setup, but it was annoying.
2) The stream would skip, probably once a minute or so. My connection is 2Mb/up so it wasn't a bandwidth issue. I played around with buffer settings in foobar and that just changed the nature of the skipping. I think ultimately it was some setting that needed to be changed in icecast. I played around with their config file, it didn't make things better, and I finally gave up. I tried edcast which streamed flawlessly, but it wasn't natively configurable in foobar and was throwing up ugly dialogs all the time.
3) Simplicity is better, so having to install 3rd party software was kind of a pain.

UPnP doesn't 100% fulfill my requirements, but it's close. The main thing is that the stream doesn't skip for me and there's less to go wrong with only one addin.

Reply #11
Hey Canar!  I definitely wasn't trying to denigrate your plugin, but I did have a few issues:
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.