Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Play folders and enqueue in foobar2000 missing from Window Explorer context menu (Read 4650 times) previous topic - next topic

Play folders and enqueue in foobar2000 missing from Window Explorer context menu

I don't have the options to play a folder or queue tracks in foobar2000 anymore on Windows Explorer context menu. I've already checked Shell Integration on foobar2000 Preferences, and "Folder context menus" box is already checked. Apparently, the foobar2000 context menu options were replaced with Windows Media Player ones. The context options for Media Player Classic and Winamp are still there, though. I don't think it's related, but foobar2000 is already default music player.

I have checked Windows Registry, specifically Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell, and two foobar related keys exist there: foobar2000.enqueue and foobar2000.play. Neither key is empty, and each one contains the respective expected command.

I don't know what else to do in order to restore the context menu actions for foobar2000. I'm not sure, but I guess this issue has arisen when I installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709). Does anyone know any other Windows Registry Editor keys that I could check to see if I can get the foobar2000 context menu options back? Thanks in advance.

Info:

foobar2000 version: v1.3.16

Re: Play folders and enqueue in foobar2000 missing from Window Explorer context menu

Reply #1
This is an old issue and there are numerous threads about it on this forum. foobar2000 uses shell extension for its file association handling to allow opening more than 15 files at once with context commands and to prevent other problems with simple association.

For some reason Windows doesn't show the folder menu commands in folders marked to contain music for other associated programs when Windows Media Player is present . There was an attempt to work-around it in foobar2000 v1.3.9 by selectively disabling shell extension integration for some commands, but the workaround introduced more severe problems.

It could be solvable by making a new shell extension that is always active, like those used by 7-Zip and WinRAR, but that's not something Peter wants to do.

The problem can be worked around by removing Windows Media Player or by marking directory types to something else than Music in their properties.

Re: Play folders and enqueue in foobar2000 missing from Window Explorer context menu

Reply #2
The problem can be worked around by removing Windows Media Player or by marking directory types to something else than Music in their properties.

Actually, changing Optimize folder from General Items to Music did the trick. Now I have both foobar2000 options in context menu back. Thank you a lot man, never realised the solution was so simple.

Reply #3
This is an old issue and there are numerous threads about it on this forum. foobar2000 uses shell extension for its file association handling to allow opening more than 15 files at once with context commands and to prevent other problems with simple association.

For some reason Windows doesn't show the folder menu commands in folders marked to contain music for other associated programs when Windows Media Player is present . There was an attempt to work-around it in foobar2000 v1.3.9 by selectively disabling shell extension integration for some commands, but the workaround introduced more severe problems.

It could be solvable by making a new shell extension that is always active, like those used by 7-Zip and WinRAR, but that's not something Peter wants to do.

This 15-file limitation is interesting. I had thought the functionality is simply gone in the latest 2.1 preview after a certain date. It turns out as long as I keep it <= 15, it still works. Thanks!!!

Using latest Windows 23H2....Any latest workaround these days?