Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAGS not readable on HD (Read 1805 times) previous topic - next topic

TAGS not readable on HD

Hi there.

When I convert a CD image (CUE/FLAC) to .flac tracks, CUETools (v2.1.9) doesn't print the tags to the files. foobar2000 can see the tags, but they are not visible on the hard disk.

When I do the same conversion using foobar2000, the tags are visible correctly, both on the hard disk and on the player itself.

Re: TAGS not readable on HD

Reply #1
What do you mean, tags on hard disk? You mean file names?
You have to configure how you want file names to be created, from which tags, in which order.
CUEtools use foobar tag references.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
Windows' File Explorer doesn't show 'Artist', 'Album', 'Genre', etc...

But if I use foobar2000 to convert a image CD, File Explorer shows all tag information.

Reply #3
Please provide Mode checkbox info, Audio Output settings (encoder) and tagging settings
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_Tagging
(no problem here with libFLAC, cuetools - Win10Pro v2004)

Edit: Note: Also be aware that CUETools writes tags last (after all files are encoded) so tags won't show in explorer until everything is complete.
korth

Reply #4
Everything I use is on default settings.
Encoder: FLAC (cuetools)
Mode: Tracks
Advanced Settings: default (everything)
Windows 10 v20H2 (x64)

Reply #5
Windows' File Explorer doesn't show 'Artist', 'Album', 'Genre', etc...

But if I use foobar2000 to convert a image CD, File Explorer shows all tag information.

What Windows version? For 7 and below, you would need a so-called "property handler". You can get one from https://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-video/174276-windows-cant-read-flac-tags-3.html#post2264132

And here you find some Microsoft dude's excuse for Windows being so fucking retarded: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files-insiderplat_pc/why-microsoft-is-not-adding-a-property-handler-for/d0786b06-510a-479f-87c5-bff58cddf843
FLAC like MP3 is "pirates-only" and therefore Windows did ... uh, support MP3!
Nah, the real reason was probably that Windows wanted WMAL to take over the lossless segment, and ...

Reply #6
Thanks for your information!
Like I said above, I use Windows 10 v20H2 (x64).
I can't understand why foobar2000 can see all tags but File Explorer doesn't.
I think it's probable a problem with the latest update patch of Windows 10.
Anyway, when I convert a CD image by foobar2000 all tags are correctly read by File Explorer.

Reply #7
Eff, I scrolled up to see if you had posted it.

What if you try the property handler and see if it changes anything?

Reply #8
Windows' property handler works fine!

Reply #9
I solved the problem. The tags weren't showing because I was inserting album arts with more than 8MB.

Everything went back to normal after I applied the Optimize file layout + minimize file size feature.