Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)? (Read 2672 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-140d-on-wall-speaker

They have a 3.5" woofer and thin cabinet. I haven't known Klipsch to blatantly lie on their specs before though, and this one is specific, "69Hz-25kHz ± 3dB".

In related news, I'm looking for the smallest, lightest speakers I can find for Atmos that can go down to 80Hz at least, if anyone has any idea.

Re: Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)?

Reply #1
You can get bass from a small speaker (think headphones/in-ears) but there's a limit to how much energy/loudness you can get at low frequencies.

There is more to speaker/woofer/subwoofer design than size but to me, anything less than 8-inches isn't really a "woofer".    :P

Re: Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)?

Reply #2
Yeah, I'm looking for height speakers for my apartment living room, so it's a small space. I just need them to get reasonably near 80Hz cause that's the crossover I've set my LX503 at, and unfortunately Pioneer doesn't offer distinct crossovers for each pair of speakers, just a global one. I'm now looking at cheaper options at Parts Express, seems there are more reasonable ones that can better blend in like these which look like lamps, unfortunately the 4-inch version is only available in black.

Reply #3
I haven't known Klipsch to blatantly lie on their specs before though
You're kidding right??
https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-600m-loudspeaker-measurements
Klipsch's specified sensitivity is an extraordinarily high 96dB/2.83V/m. My estimate was much lower, at 89.6dB(B)/2.83V/m, though
That said, on wall, it may be possible for that speaker to extend to 70hz,..at very limited volumes.
If you are looking for unobtrusive/compact white wedge/wallmount height speakers to blend more with your wall, look at "outdoor" models, like for example these. Just remember anything with <4" woofer will have limited output even with 80hz HP.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
I haven't known Klipsch to blatantly lie on their specs before though
You're kidding right??
Well despite popular opinion, I happen to not know everything. Don't follow Sterophile...

Thanks for the info. I've been looking to those types and I think pendant type speakers is more likely what I'm going to get. JBL has some nice ones but they're very heavy and too big. I think I'm going for the Dayton ones.