Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 224956 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #351
New Version: JScript Biography 0.9.0.2

@tr0ner Reproduced & should be fixed. It was caused by the new utils.WriteTextFile in JScript panel v2+ saving the "foo_lastfm_img.vbs" apparently in an incompatible format. That file is used for image saving. @uberunit - this should also fix your issue. Thanks for the reports.

The issue shouldn't affect upgrades because a good "foo_lastfm_img.vbs" already existed, but will affect any fresh installs with v0.9 & v0.9.01 where it is newly created - that includes anyone using the DarkOne versions above on a fresh install. I have regressed saving the file to the previous method.

Any body who used v0.9 or v0.9.0.1 and is affected by this issue, e.g. if you used a fresh foobar2000 install or didn't use JScript Biography before 0.9 should:
1) Install Biography version 0.9.0.2
2) Navigate to foobar2000\yttm\foo_lastfm_img.vbs and delete the corrupt "foo_lastfm_img.vbs"
3) Restart foobar2000
4) You may need to use sources > force update to show images (i.e. if you've artists folders with just update.txt & no pictures)

After following the above instructions I am still having this exact issue.  I am using

JScript Panel v2.1.7.2 by marc2003
Based on WSH Panel Mod by T.P. Wang
Build: 01:54:45, Oct  3 2018
Columns UI SDK Version: 6.5

and

Biography 0.9.0.2.txt

Any help would be appreciated (and excellent work btw.)

Reply #352
It sounds as though foo_lastfm_img.vbs wasn't reset. I believe the invalid version has a file size of 696 bytes.

Double check there aren't any copies of 0.9 or 0.9.0.1 in the layout, i.e. only 0.9.0.2 should be present. Then try deleting foo_lastfm_img.vbs again. To ensure you're in the right location: shift + click > file menu > browse configuration folder > yttm > foo_lastfm_img.vbs. Restart foobar2000 after deleting.

Otherwise it could be down to the site or internet etc being slow... I noticed that lfm was very slow/essentially unavailable for a while over the weekend, but it seems back to normal now. All is currently working for me.

The next version has an auto-fix of the foo_lastfm_img.vbs issue.

@Black_Over_Bills_Mothers & mjm716: requested features should also be in the next version.

HTH

Reply #354
Hi WillB
How can I change font size ? I tried through Propertis Panel but it does not work. Does it depend on foobar skin I use ?

ctrl-click>Panel Properties>Zoom Font Size (%)
Hi WillB
How can I change font size ? I tried through Propertis Panel but it does not work. Does it depend on foobar skin I use ?

Hover over panel, Ctrl + Mouse Wheel.
Thanks for help.
I have another question. I want photos not to be saved.  I change in biography.ini "Image [Artist] Auto-Fetch" and "Image [Review] Auto-Fetch" from 1 to 0 but photos are still saved. What settings should I change ?

Reply #355
To quote from the site: "You will implement suitable caching...". So it's not supported. In many cases it would result in repeat downloads of the same images time & again, and is slower. The site has on two occasions I know of taken steps to limit image downloading, the last late 2017. My overriding concern has always been to try & maintain access to sites, and not abuse what foobar2000 users can currently obtain in a way that jeopardises access. Anyway, best practice is always to save all images & data, else if sources disappear you'll have nothing, and layouts immediately break.

Reply #356
Hi WilB and thanks for this wonderful plugin. Although I have some problem saving album cover for my music files. From server settings I've changed the Auto-Save value from "0" to "1", like this :

[COVERS: MUSIC FILES]
Auto-Save=1
Auto-Save Folder=$directory_path(%path%)
Auto-Save File Name=cover

Then I save the biography.ini file and restart foobar2000. I looked up in my music album folder but there's no cover art in it. I've tried to delete the biography.ini file and let foobar2000 recreate it but still no luck. I'm using 0.9.0.2 w/ Jscript Panel v2.1.7.2

please help, thanks :)

Reply #357
I just checked & it's all working here.

Please bear in mind:

1) The aim is to obtain MISSING covers. If auto-save is enabled, searches when unable to load a cover according to main foobar2000 preferences (display > album art > front cover > search patterns) and there isn't a cover in the save location. So it ONLY searches when no cover is found through the above routes.

2) Search requires album artist / artist name & album name. So files need to have the tags. If either are missing it won't search, since they're required for searching.

3) The names have to match those used by the site. Autocorrect is on by default so there is a little lee-way in the matching. The site also has to have the cover you're searching for - it's pretty comprehensive though. There might also be occasions when the site is down, like over last w/e, but it all seems to be back to normal now.

HTH

Reply #358
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, music files I use for this is properly tagged and I make sure there's no external images (ie. cover.jpg, front.png, etc) exist in the folder.

edit: I searched my music collection and found some files that don't have embedded cover in it. the plugin works! It saved cover artwork in the same folder as the music files.
back to play some other music w/ embedded cover, I let it play 2-3 songs to see if the site is not responding or down, plugin doesn't work.

Is it possible that embedded cover in my music files stops the plugin from saving cover artwork?

Reply #359
The check for an existing cover is whether the main foobar2000 preferences (display > album art > front cover > search patterns) is able to find a cover. That checks both embedded and external sources. Since the aim of Biography is to obtain missing covers, an embedded cover in a music file means you have a cover & so Biography doesn't search. It's not clear why you want to search if you have the cover.

So it's all behaving as expected.

Reply #360
Hi WilB. I've been waiting quietly for a Spider Monkey version but Santa Claus didn't bring this to me. Could you please update us on progress on this version.

Thanks.

Reply #361
Yes thanks for offering to test them. There had been a number of teething problems with Spider Monkey panel & I wasn't keen to release stuff while I was aware of issues. But SMP v1.1.2 is now looking excellent - at least I haven't encountered any bugs or stability issues. All scripts are essentially done, so just a little more pre-release testing...

Reply #362
Hi WilB! I tried installing your component but it's giving me this error:

And this is the line in question:

Not sure what is wrong =/ Thank you!

Reply #363
I only comment this line:
// window.DlgCode = 0x004;
Script work.
In version 2.2.0 of foo_jscript_panel marc2k3 remove window.DlgCode.

P.S. marc2k3 propose a solution:
window.DlgCode = 0x004;
replace to
if ('DlgCode' in window) { window.DlgCode = 0x004; }
I check it - script work.

Reply #364
I have done a quick maintenance update of Biography (& also Library Tree & YouTube Track Manager) to fix compatibility with JScript Panel 2.2.0+. There are no new features. They can be downloaded from the usual locations.

Spider Monkey Panel versions with new features will appear shortly...

Reply #365
Spider Monkey Panel versions with new features will appear shortly...

the suspense is killing me... my most anticipated update (really!)

(patiently waiting for follow selection/now playing option eg. SYSTEM.Prefer Focus from Biography to appear in YouTube Track Manager?)
;)

Reply #366
New Version: Biography 1.0.0

NEW: Improved menu options.

NEW: Touch Control (enable: menu > layout > options)***.

NEW: Last.fm track reviews. In last.fm review mode there is now a choice of displaying album and/or track reviews (menu > sources > review > last.fm type).

NEW: Ability to cycle cover images: front/back/disc etc and/or those in designated folder (menu > sources > cover).

NEW: Theme options, e.g. Text: Show Summary First (menu > layout > theme).

NEW: Lock option (Middle Click: "More Items Button"). Stops track changes updating display.

NEW: Open containing folder (menu > sources > open containing folder).

NEW: Tag writer: Write Tag: "Locale Last.fm" [multi-value].
   First value: $meta(locale last.fm,0). Usually town/city, e.g. The Beatles -> Liverpool; Madonna -> Bay City
   Last value: $meta(locale last.fm,$sub($meta_num(locale last.fm),1)). Usually country, e.g. The Beatles -> United Kingdom or Madonna -> United States
   Whole value: %locale last.fm%, e.g. Liverpool, Merseyside, England, United Kingdom
   Library Viewers: see documentation for example patterns for View by City and View by Country

CHG: Tag writer: tags written can now be set from menu.

CHG: Require shift can now be set for the menu items: "Write Tags...", "Paste Text From Clipboard" (new default behaviour requires shift) and "Playlists" (panel properties ["Menu items..."]).

CHG: Requires Spider Monkey Panel - if you're unfamiliar with it, then it's based on JScript Panel but has a modern Javascript engine. Spider Monkey Panel can be run alongside JScript Panel, & so other panels can continue to run in JScript Panel if you don't have Spider Monkey Panel versions.

*** for an extra scroll experience, if you don't have a touch screen, enable touch control and drag with left mouse button down.

Updating
Panel properties will be reset as its a new panel. Export JScript panel properties or back-up layouts before updating if you want a record. Importing JScript panel properties isn't supported: panel properties have been overhauled & more key options are now on the menu. Server settings in biography.ini should update automatically if upgrading from a recent version, i.e. 0.9, 0.9.0.1, 0.9.0.2 and 0.9.0.3. If updating from an older version, biography.ini will be reset and the original backed up.

Reply #367
New Version: Biography 1.0.0

Thanks so much for your scripts and effort!!

One question about Biography RE: artist image source

It seems I can either cycle artist images from lastfm, or I can select a single local artist image (with no cycle option).

Is that correct or am I missing a setting for cycling local artist images?

Reply #368
Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct.

The behaviour is the same as before. I just changed the wording to try and make it clearer when its cycling and when it isn't. For info:

Photo: Cycle. Cycles images in the set Image [Artist] Folder. This is where last.fm artist images are saved, and so it was logical to name the choice as "Cycle Last.fm". You could change this to another folder and disable downloading if you want a different set of images.

Photo: Artist. This loads a single image & that was how it worked before. It loads from "foobar2000 > preferences > display > album art > artist pattern".

Reply #369
Thank you for this wonderful panel.  It is absolutely fantastic.  I am having a problem with the Spider Monkey panel.  When I  switch to album reviews, the artist images are displayed instead of the album cover.  I can get the album cover to display by  clicking the more options button and selecting a specific album.  But I can't scroll through the albums as I could in the jscript panel.  I have read through the instructions but nothing I try seems to work.  What am I doing wrong?

Reply #370
Adding cycling of images for the current album (front, back, disc, etc) was added at the request of another user. But it means that there are now two possible things to cycle through and a choice had to be made over how the mouse wheel operates, i.e. either cycling through images of the current album OR cycling through the different albums. It is set to do the former while the mouse pointer is over the image and latter while the mouse pointer is over the "More Items Button". It was done this way for consistency with how the bio view and similar artists work.

The "More Items Menu" drop down menu does clarify: "Manual Cycle: Wheel Over Button". I hope I have understood you correctly and that you will get used to this small adjustment.

Regarding artist images showing in album mode. Please note the following. Cycling of images for the current album only happens if "Sources > Cover" is set to cycle mode. If set to cycle from a folder then yes extra images are included. I set it to load the artist images by default because I like the ability to cycle through the cover and artist images, but you can use your own folder. You can also use foobar2000 sources for front, back, disc, etc, or both together. Set "Sources > Cover" to front to just have the front cover.

HTH

Reply #371
[Artist] Folder. This is where last.fm artist images are saved, and so it was logical to name the choice as "Cycle Last.fm".

The labelling was confusing to me - "Cycle Last.fm" seemed to imply that it is only cycling through online LFM images.
I thought the other option "Artist" meant artist folder. Maybe simply Cycle on/off

I'm guessing it looks in FB display prefs for artist image location?

btw, thanks much for the 'Open Containing Folder' option :)

Reply #372
Thank you for your quick reply.  I just enlarged the more items button to make it easier to scroll over so that issue is solved.  And changing the cover cycle option to display only the front cover solved my other issue.  It now works perfectly based on my personal preferences.

Reply #373
Hello WilB

Been closely following the thread about your Biography tool.
Using JScript Biography 0.9.0.2
Updated to foobar2000 v1.4.2.
I use the skin/theme DarkOne v4.0 by Tedgo, I'm in love with that one!
Would like to keep it as it is, my settings with Biography works perfect.

So, the big question is, can I safely without breaking anything install Spider Monkey Panel v1.1.5 - Hotfix II and Biography 1.0.0.?
I read this but I'm not shure if it means I'm OK with DarkOne:
CHG: Requires Spider Monkey Panel - if you're unfamiliar with it, then it's based on JScript Panel but has a modern Javascript engine.
Spider Monkey Panel can be run alongside JScript Panel, & so other panels can continue to run in JScript Panel if you don't have Spider Monkey Panel versions.

Kind regards
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #374
DarkOne v4.0 was modded to work with JScript Biography 0.9.0.2 by replacing one wsh_panel_mod with JScript panel. You would now need to locate that JScript panel in the layout and replace it with Spider Monkey panel. Then select the panel stack splitter that contains the new Spider Monkey panel and choose configure. Ensure all the panel stack splitter settings and names in all tabs are identical to before, especially the "PanelList > Forced layout" setting. So back up the layout before making the change so you can compare the settings in the layouts. I previously posted you detailed instructions on how to do this. In the end I believe you weren't able to accomplish it and I posted an updated DarkOne v4.0 version.

If you aren't able to update it yourself this time I can update it for you. So please advise if you want me to do that. However, I'll likely wait a while to see if any issues come up with the new Spider Monkey panel version of Biography.