Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] quid quo pro about LAME commands (Read 4016 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] quid quo pro about LAME commands

Hello
I have found what works best for me and my listening

What is the most recent LAME version able to support all the following?
--noath --nspsytune -Z -X4 -q0 -b320 -mj --nssafejoint --lowpass 22050 --cwlimit 22

regards
eh?

Re: quid quo pro about LAME commands

Reply #1
I have to ask, how have you determined this to be the optimal settings for LAME, for you? Did you just read the manual and decide that "more tweaks = more better"? This is absolutely not the case, and it is very likely that the options you specify will actually hurt sound quality, in noticable ways.

What's wrong with simply using '-b320 -q0' or '-V0 -q0'? There's a reason why the default options are the defaults, because they work. (And '-q0' is not actually necessary with '-V0', as far as I know. At least not anymore.)

Reply #2
A blast from the past

Reply #3
And how is this a "quid pro quo"?  What are you going to give us?

Reply #4
How I could see what you see, How can any feel what other person feel?..
Even with that human beings we are alike we are unique... that is perceptual

is very unlikely that the options that I or any other specifies change your perception... not try this options... not try to optimise what you know or have heard

Maybe an answer, and for Apesbrain too, resides in that I have spent some time enjoying my listening achivements...I imagine it feels like going to the school or work place on other person's car (don´t imagine your mom driving) to going to a paradisiaque beach on YOUR NEW car.
I will not say it is like night and day but I'm telling it left me with a historic smile and that same feeling, over and over
Maybe you could enjoy your hearing achivements too...

of course I have tried and researched for LAME versions but maybe a corroboration form the old folks help me and help him
eh?

Reply #5
That lowpass frequency is a bit high. At -b 320 the default would be around 20Khz.
From the Hydrogenaudio wiki:
The default lowpass settings were not chosen at random; for general use, they are as high as they can be without putting quality at risk. Raising the the cutoff via command-line options is not recommended. See the high-frequency content in MP3s article for more info.

Reply #6
How I could see what you see, How can any feel what other person feel?..
Even with that human beings we are alike we are unique... that is perceptual

is very unlikely that the options that I or any other specifies change your perception... not try this options... not try to optimise what you know or have heard

Maybe an answer, and for Apesbrain too, resides in that I have spent some time enjoying my listening achivements...I imagine it feels like going to the school or work place on other person's car (don´t imagine your mom driving) to going to a paradisiaque beach on YOUR NEW car.
I will not say it is like night and day but I'm telling it left me with a historic smile and that same feeling, over and over
Maybe you could enjoy your hearing achivements too...

of course I have tried and researched for LAME versions but maybe a corroboration form the old folks help me and help him

So if we cut through the mysticism, what you're saying is that these chosen settings are better because they're yours? Even though they undermine a lot of the optimizations that have been done to the LAME encoder? Even though using them will result in worse sound quality, when compared with the defaults?

Honestly, I prefer listening to music, instead of thinking in terms of "hearing achievements", whatever those are.

What are your rationales for choosing each parameter? You must have a reason for each one.

Reply #7
Disabling the ath is generally a very bad idea.

Reply #8
There should be little doubt that the settings bestowed upon us were not derived from proper listening tests.

@polfmx:
Please give me one good reason why I shouldn't bin this topic for not conforming to the spirit of TOS #8.

Reply #9
My guess is that the OP isn't interested in transparency so much as settings that "improve" the sound.

Reply #11
Besides, IIRC -X and -Z are developer switches and their meaning can depend on version of LAME encoder.

Reply #12

@greynol

I can't ABX right now, I hope be able to do it in the following week
I have a soft tinnitus; I believe, until today, isn't a problem for me, if I get no corroboration form others then I wll know my listening is just different, as the people that use glasses.
I hear that for most songs or music this allows me to hear clearer voices, chorus, gives me a different bass, and "space" maybe it is what people call imaging
eh?