Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 is displaying the wrong album art (Read 4533 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 is displaying the wrong album art

Hello!

I'm sure this is not an unusual problem for beginners and I'm sure you get it a lot, but the only post I've found that actually had an answer I just couldn't get to work.
Before I grabbed foobar I used Windows Media Player, and it rarely displayed the album art, and when it did it was usually incorrect.

All my music now seems to have the wrong album art, whenever I move my music to another device or use another player it shows up wrong.
The solution I found here before told the op to go to Organize>settings>"show protected os files" or something along those lines. I did, but I cannot find the pictures he referred to afterwards.

Do you need more information or is this enough to go on? I am using the latest version of foobar.

Reply #1
Is all of your music in one folder along with the album artwork? That may be the reason for foobar displaying the incorrect artwork. Put the albums in separate folders.

You may not be seeing the files because they're hidden. Try enabling the display of not only of protected files but hidden as well.

Reply #2
Oh, right. I now see the pictures.
They're a little bit all over the place. I have a folder I just named "Unsorted" which is where I place music that isn't part of an album.
Do you mean I should place all the album art pictures in a separate folder or create a folder for each individual song? :/

Reply #3
I have a folder I just named "Unsorted" which is where I place music that isn't part of an album.

I suggest if you're going to store "albumless" songs in this manner and if any of those songs have specific artwork, that you embed the artwork in the file it belongs to and remove any external artwork from the folder. The reason for this is that if any external artwork has a name that has been specified in foobar as artwork, foobar will display it instead of the embedded artwork if it is larger* than the embedded artwork. This may cause the incorrect artwork to show.

EDIT:
*Larger as in file size. Dimensions and/or dpi do not influence what is displayed as far as I've been able to discern.

Reply #4
if any external artwork has a name that has been specified in foobar as artwork, foobar will display it instead of the embedded artwork if it is larger* than the embedded artwork.

Preferences > Advanced > Display > Album art > Embedded vs external

You can choose from
  • Prefer larger
  • Prefer external
  • Prefer embedded
You can also set the maximum file size for external art so that foobar doesn't waste memory on gigantic files.