Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ebtech Hum X (Read 4317 times) previous topic - next topic

Ebtech Hum X

The Ebtech Hum X was recommended to me to eliminate ground noise from a USB DAC connected to an amplifier.  It works as well as a cheater plug, but does anyone know if it's actually safe(er)?

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #1
If it works the same as all of the DIY ground loop eliminators I see on YouTube then yes, it is safer (and ten times more expensive).

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #2
If it works the same as all of the DIY ground loop eliminators I see on YouTube then yes, it is safer (and ten times more expensive).

More expensive than the cheater or the DIY versions?  The DIY build looks like more than $5 worth of parts.

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #4
Under $10 including all the shipping charges? What vendor could do that?

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #5
Under $10 including all the shipping charges? What vendor could do that?

A quick trip to Home Depot and Radio Shack should suffice.

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #6
I like how making multiple trips, to numerous vendors, gasoline, time spent on travel, parking [or in my case, public transportation], time waiting on line to buy parts, [which many Radio Shacks no longer have], and assembly time once you get home are all "free" and/or an inconsequential expenditure of time.

The Hum-X shipped for about $50 seems perfectly reasonable to me, but then again I'm the kind of guy who doesn't make my AC extension cords and patch cables from parts; I buy them.

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #7
Another possibility, if you don't mind modifying equipment and possibly voiding the warranty, is to open up the receiver and add the $2 in parts that will isolate its ground while maintaining its safety.

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #8
Another possibility, if you don't mind modifying equipment and possibly voiding the warranty, is to open up the receiver and add the $2 in parts that will isolate its ground while maintaining its safety.

So, will I need a soldering gun?

Ebtech Hum X

Reply #9

So, will I need a soldering gun?

You could, but wire nuts would probably work as well, if the connection from the AC ground to the chassis is a short wire that can be cut.